Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metier

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Texas
Since upgrading, in terminal if I copy some text and paste it into a
Rich Text Document it copies the background along with the text. I do a lot of terminal sessions to routers and firewalls, and prefer to use terminal with black background and green text. Ever since the upgrade if I copy the text and paste it into a rich text document it copies the black background and the green text just as you see in terminal, I can get around this by converting the document to plain text, but that is a pain.

Before the upgrade copy and paste would only copy the text portion not the background. Anybody know a setting to change so when you copy text from terminal it will only copy the text?

Thanks in advance
Pat

DaPhatty

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
Since upgrading, in terminal if I copy some text and paste it into a
Rich Text Document it copies the background along with the text. I do a lot of terminal sessions to routers and firewalls, and prefer to use terminal with black background and green text. Ever since the upgrade if I copy the text and paste it into a rich text document it copies the black background and the green text just as you see in terminal, I can get around this by converting the document to plain text, but that is a pain.

Before the upgrade copy and paste would only copy the text portion not the background. Anybody know a setting to change so when you copy text from terminal it will only copy the text?

Thanks in advance
Pat

I'll have to check this for myself. I usually copy/paste from Terminal into MS Word. I'd imagine there is a setting in the Terminal Preferences that would control this feature.

EDIT: Looks like you are right. Copy/Paste into Notes results in the text color and background being copied as well. I haven't found a setting that would control this either. FWIW, Word 2011 for Mac doesn't retain the background color, only the text color which can easily be modified using Word's built in formatting features (i.e. Keep text only).

Last edited:

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Same thing happening to me. VERY VERY annoying!!

Anyone find a fix yet?

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Ran into this the other day - it's nasty. Had to type in a bunch of text by hand to get around it.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Paste and match style works fine for me.

You could also just have like a plain text document that you paste into and then copy from there.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Paste and match style works fine for me.

You could also just have like a plain text document that you paste into and then copy from there.

Ahhh... but you see, that's exactly what I did.

What got pasted was not just the text, but also the default font of TextEdit!

Same for vi fer cripes sake.

Who thought of this madness?

randolorian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2011
This was one of several eccentricities of Terminal that forced me to move to iTerm2. I'm much happier with my terminal experience now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.