Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Oct 23, 2013, 04:24 PM   #1
redman042
macrumors 65816

iPad Air and Mini has 1 GB RAM

We all want more RAM (and I see a ton of posts asking this) but it's not in the cards, unless I'm reading this wrong:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A7

Most important part:
The A7 processor package also incorporates 1 GB of LPDDR3 DRAM with a 64-bit wide memory interface.
In other words, the RAM is integrated into the CPU, and the A7 has 1 GB, which we already knew because that's what the iPhone 5 has.

Apple said yesterday the new tablets have an A7 chip. Not A7X or whatever.

I still expect the new devices to perform great. iOS runs pretty lean. Flash memory bandwidth will be better, so that should help. iOS 7 Safari runs better and reloads tabs less often. Yeah, more RAM is better but it is what it is. I'm still getting an Air.
redman042 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 04:26 PM   #2
RLesko
macrumors member

Wait for the teardown. Until someone gets their hands on it, its pure speculation.
RLesko is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 04:27 PM   #3
Intell
macrumors P6

That's based on the iPhone 5s, not the iPad A7. Also, that's Wikipedia, not credible.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 04:39 PM   #4
Icaras
macrumors 601

Can we expect the teardown before Nov 1st?
Old Oct 23, 2013, 04:56 PM   #5
irDigital0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
Can we expect the teardown before Nov 1st?
I don't think you can do a teardown for a product that hasn't been released...
irDigital0l is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 05:09 PM   #6
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
I don't think you can do a teardown for a product that hasn't been released...
Some sites may have review products in hand though.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 05:14 PM   #7
akm3
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLesko View Post
Wait for the teardown. Until someone gets their hands on it, its pure speculation.
It is pure speculation, but that's a pretty educated guess. It is highly likely to be 1gb, but we don't know FOR SURE yet.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 05:15 PM   #8
allistera
macrumors regular

Someone posted on another thread:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...1&postcount=34
Old Oct 23, 2013, 05:24 PM   #9
macduke
macrumors 68030

So what? The iPad A4 had 256MB, the iPod Touch A4 had 256MB, the Apple TV A4 had 256MB. But the iPhone 4 A4 had 512MB. This was also when iPads released about 6 months before iPhones, but it goes to show that things don't always line up evenly.

Now consider this: The iPad 2 A5 was claimed to be 9x faster than the A4 chip in the original iPad:

But the iPhone A5 was only 7x faster:

So same, "non-X" A5 chip, but clearly had different specs.

Taking it one step further, the A6 and A6X both had the same amount of ram: 1GB. But the A5 had 512MB and the A5X had 1GB. There isn't a clear pattern that has been established. Apple does whatever they want.

The fact remains that Apple claims 2X GPU performance in the iPad A7 over the A6X in the previous generation. The A7 in the iPhone 5S has never benched anywhere near that—and Apple's claims are usually pretty accurate. So if that is different, then other things could be too! It doesn't mean more ram, but it does mean different packages.
macduke is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 05:44 PM   #10
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by macduke View Post
Now consider this: The iPad 2 A5 was claimed to be 9x faster than the A4 chip in the original iPad:

Taking it one step further, the A6 and A6X both had the same amount of ram: 1GB. But the A5 had 512MB and the A5X had 1GB. There isn't a clear pattern that has been established. Apple does whatever they want.

The fact remains that Apple claims 2X GPU performance in the iPad A7 over the A6X in the previous generation. The A7 in the iPhone 5S has never benched anywhere near that—and Apple's claims are usually pretty accurate. So if that is different, then other things could be too! It doesn't mean more ram, but it does mean different packages.
In the iPad 1, the A4 chip was vastly underpowered. The iPhone 4's and iPod Touch 4G's A4 was more powerful, even though they were clocked at a slower speed. Most of this increased power came from the GPU not having to push as many pixels and being able to use more ram or having more ram. That's where the iPad 2's A5 is 9x faster than the iPad 1's A4, but the iPhone 4S' A5 is only 7x.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 06:02 PM   #11
FrankB1191
macrumors 6502a

Why is it so hard to imagine that the new iPads don't have lots of RAM? The rMBP starts with 4GB of RAM, and that's for a "pro" laptop. 2GB of RAM will be the draw for the next iPad. FWIW, my iPad 4 wasn't noticeably faster than my Mini. For me, it boils down to getting the job done smoothly and quickly. If the new iPads can do that, it's good. Spec watchers might not like it, but I don't use my tablets for bench mark scoring.
FrankB1191 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 06:11 PM   #12
saback
macrumors newbie

Sorry to ask, but...
What is the difference between 1 Gb and 2 Gb at the iPad for the end user?
saback is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 06:13 PM   #13
Scorpion008
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saback View Post
Sorry to ask, but...
Future proofing and being able to have more apps open without them crashing and losing your spot in games.
Scorpion008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 06:23 PM   #14
macduke
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Sorry to ask, but...
Being able to upgrade to iOS 9.

Seriously. My iPad 2 with 512MB does not run iOS 7 well. App crashes, and lagging especially with the keyboard are common.

Being able to run pro apps well. You know they're coming. Adobe is actively working on Lightroom for iPad as we speak.

It might not matter today, but in two or three years it will—which is how long I intend to wait before upgrading again.

Lack of ram is the reason the first iPad has so many app crashing issues and the reason the 3GS, which was being sold as of only a year ago, didn't get iOS 7. It's the reason your tabs close when you switch and come back. It's the reason you have to wait for your iPad to reload everything when you multitask swipe to another app. And if you work with editing large files, it's often the reason your app crashes.
macduke is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 06:28 PM   #15
saback
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion008 View Post
Future proofing and being able to have more apps open without them crashing and losing your spot in games.
I don't really think that it is a RAM problem. Doesn't IOS use swap on disk?
saback is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 06:30 PM   #16
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:
I don't really think that it is a RAM problem. If the system needs more RAM it will use a SWAP space in flash disk, what means that the system may slow down, but it will not crash or loose your spot in a game.
iOS doesn't have swap. Everything must live in the ram.
Intell is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 06:37 PM   #17
saback
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
iOS doesn't have swap. Everything must live in the ram.
Now it makes sense! Cheers!
saback is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 06:49 PM   #18
whtrbt7
macrumors 6502a

I was one of the first to ask about RAM. At 512MB of RAM, iOS7 pretty much fills the entire cache with about 400MB of RAM usage for basic functions. That's a pretty heavy OS. For Safari users, that means probably about 2-3 websites not in need of refresh when tapped. At 1GB of RAM, it's much better on an iPhone 5S. If the iPad Air or iPad mini w/ Retina have 1GB or more of RAM, it means that it will run more smoothly. Another thing I have noticed is that if the app you're using can't access enough RAM, it will just open and crash/close. With 2GB of RAM, the devices will be future-proofed longer and will be able to support more documents/apps being open at once without paging RAM.
whtrbt7 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 10:09 PM   #19
redman042
macrumors 65816

Quote:
So what? The iPad A4 had 256MB, the iPod Touch A4 had 256MB, the Apple TV A4 had 256MB. But the iPhone 4 A4 had 512MB. This was also when iPads released about 6 months before iPhones, but it goes to show that things don't always line up evenly.
The A4 was different in that it did not have the RAM on board the CPU. So it was not hard for Apple to vary the RAM config between devices when they were on that version of the CPU. It was like any other computer. Source.

In newer CPU designs, Apple has incorporated the RAM. So if they want to have varying RAM configurations now, they would need different CPU fabrication lines. That's more costly. I just don't see them doing it this time around. iOS 7 runs beautifully in an iPhone 5s with 1 GB. As for the future (iOS 9, etc.), well, they'll be happy to sell you an iPad 7
redman042 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 10:31 PM   #20
g35
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtrbt7 View Post
I was one of the first to ask about RAM. At 512MB of RAM, iOS7 pretty much fills the entire cache with about 400MB of RAM usage for basic functions. That's a pretty heavy OS. For Safari users, that means probably about 2-3 websites not in need of refresh when tapped.
I don't think that's necessarily true, I could have 6-8 in Safari on my iPhone 4S without refreshing if I didn't leave the app and I think that was pretty typical webpages. If you leave the app though I could see it being 2-3. That's on iOS 6 though
g35 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 10:33 PM   #21
VanillaCracker
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman042 View Post
As for the future (iOS 9, etc.), well, they'll be happy to sell you an iPad 7
Yep, I don't see why people are surprised by this. Apple likes to bone their customers. The only way you can get a more future proof device is by buying a new one. Apple doesn't make their devices to be future proof. They make them to survive great for one year. Well for the second year. Ok for the third year. And shiity after that. iPhone 4's can't run iOS7 well. The 4S can run it OK. The 5 runs it well (enough). The 5s runs it "great". If they were to put more RAM in then necessary this cycle might change, but don't expect Apple to do that, because they won't. If 1GB barely handles iOS7 now, then expect 2GB next year, for iOS8. But don't expect it now
VanillaCracker is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 11:27 PM   #22
bossxii
macrumors 68000

When you build the hardware specific to the software and vice versa how much or little doesn't matter. It runs fast and smooth. The tablets that need more ram to run bloat ware and crappy inefficient software so they pack in ram to offset poor code design. More is not always better if it's wasted space, or in a tablets case wasted hardware sucking down battery life when it's not needed.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 02:02 PM   #23
macduke
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman042 View Post
As for the future (iOS 9, etc.), well, they'll be happy to sell you an iPad 7
And maybe I'll be happy to kick my foot up their …

Just seems wasteful. My wife is pregnant now, and by then our little girl will be a toddler. What if I want to put some educational games on there for her to use? What if the apps say "requires iOS 9.0 or later" when I try to install? It's just dumb to have to upgrade so frequently, and especially to make older hardware obsolete so quickly. And that's coming from a technology geek. Though you would think since they're still selling the iPad 2 that they would support lower amounts of ram—but given how poorly the iPad 2 I just sold on CL ran iOS 7, I doubt it.
macduke is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 02:24 PM   #24
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

Quote:

The iPads A5 is clocked at 1ghz vs the iPhones which is 800mhz. That's where the difference comes in
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 7.1.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 02:30 PM   #25
jamesjingyi
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to jamesjingyi
Quote:
And maybe I'll be happy to kick my foot up their …

Just seems wasteful. My wife is pregnant now, and by then our little girl will be a toddler. What if I want to put some educational games on there for her to use? What if the apps say "requires iOS 9.0 or later" when I try to install? It's just dumb to have to upgrade so frequently, and especially to make older hardware obsolete so quickly. And that's coming from a technology geek. Though you would think since they're still selling the iPad 2 that they would support lower amounts of ram—but given how poorly the iPad 2 I just sold on CL ran iOS 7, I doubt it.
Apple allows that downloading of old Apps thing so start shopping around for the Apps you want :P
jamesjingyi is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad