Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NapoleonIV

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
I just made the mistake of upgrading all my devices to iWork 5. The newest version of pages takes away functionality, and replaces it with a less intuitive interface. Why is the format bar on the side? Why is it so big? Why is the tool bar still visible in full screen mode? This feels like a clone of the iOS pages, but seriously, iOS pages is fairly terrible on iOS! Why would we ever want it on a real computer?

georgespeedo

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2012
new pages 5.0 is *****

I have never been more disappointed by an apple product. Pages 4.? was wonderful improvement over MS Word.
Some Idiot decided to remove all custom features and by doing so ruined it.
I am trying to reload old Pages timemachine... I hope it works.
:mad:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
It's Pages in name only. There's a reason it keeps your old version around. (so, georgesspeedo, no need to use TM--it should be there, unless you manually deleted it.) Of course, this doesn't help you if you rely on an iOS version.

I'd be happy if they just upgraded the old version with the Share Link to iCloud feature.

Wullie

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
Not only does it remove functionality but it removes content from documents! Happily enough it didn't remove Pages '09 (4.3) from my machine when it installed so I can still work around it.

I have a letterhead that I put together and that I've been using for about four years. It's got a 3 column, 1 row table to contain the addresses of the Chair and the Secretary and a small .png file in the middle table. When I open existing documents it deletes the graphic and reports as the image below. Again, happily '09 is still on my laptop as I lost the original graphic years ago and always just duplicated a previous letter for edit. Why would Apple do this? Why not give a health warning at least that the new version will break your old work?

Even more annoyingly, I can copy the graphic from 4.3, paste it into 5.0, save and reopen the document and the graphic's still there. So it can handle the graphic OK, it just deletes it for a laugh!

Also, to answer the original question, yes, hate it. Mostly because it breaks all my previous work and I won't be deleting 4.3 for a long, long time.

Best,
Bill.

15oj7o2.jpg

----------

... back to the bad old days when you had to think hard about which version of Word or Excel you had to save work in before emailing it off to somebody. All the wasted hours of asking for saves in earlier versions.

Hugely disappointed that the new software can't just open the old files. I wondered what else doesn't work for a few seconds but then decided just to stick with 4.3. Of course, it means that I can't share that work now as everybody else who's updated to 5 will not be able to use what I send them.

Thank goodness for .pdf at least :(

pita

Best,
Bill

zlep

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
Has anyone tried to create an index with numbers with the new pages? I'm really struggling to get my old layout back. Anything else works great for me but I don't know how to include the headline numbers.

Any help is really appreciated. I'm writing my thesis at the moment so I'm a bit worried. Thank you.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I haven't used it yet since I haven't updated to Mavericks yet, but I find it odd that there aren't even new features listed on Apple's site.

From the presentation, the impression I got was that the new feature is some sort of unification of all iWork apps across iOS and the Mac, which isn't a relevant feature to those who only use Pages on the Mac.

From what I can tell, they turned the inspector into a permanent item on the right-hand of the screen—or does it still float like a window when not in full-screen mode? They only show it on their site in full-screen mode.

I thought it was funny how they talked about how that side of the screen now dynamically changes based on what you're working on. That's what the Inspector has always done.

I've gotten the impression (and I don't know if this is true--but it's based on Apple not putting out information) that out of iWork and iLife for the Mac, only GarageBand and iMovie had significant feature changes. I'm holding out a bit of hope for iMovie. I haven't liked any version since iMovie 06 HD.

Apple has lost whatever skills they had, I worry, that allowed them to make the original iMovie or the original iWork.

DoctorFedora

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Something tells me, with the lost features in iWork and iMovie, that we're seeing something like what happened with Final Cut Pro X and its brand new code base. The issue here, of course, is that old documents don't open properly, which is more or less unforgivable.

Here's hoping we'll see things like iMovie fades to cutaways or more Keynote transition and build animations to make up for the number that were cut in the new version.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
I've got about 120 different individual pages with numbers down the side and writing next to each one. The numbers have become 5 times bigger than the text... Not happy about that.

brutusfly

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2006
Not hate...

There's a few things to like, such as new photo borders, or new shadow types, but a few things missing that make it unusable for a majority of my workload.

• No vertical ruler or drag-able guides.
  • Headers can't be covered by any other objects. I don't want to start a new header section every time I just need it hidden on one page.
  • I can't array four or five copies of inspector palettes on my second monitor—like you can by option-clicking on inspector tabs in the old Pages.
  • I need spreads. I'm still publishing to dead trees and seeing pages side-by-side is a must for layout work.

I loved FCPX 1.0. It really fit my workflow right from the beginning, but I totally feel what some FCP power users were ticked off about when the FCP to FCPX transition took place.

Hopefully this was a rewrite to modernize the underlying code and power-users will get improvements quickly. No other program would let me layout a press-ready 12-page newsletter every week as efficiently and attractively as Pages, and I had hoped for improvements that still haven't been addressed. Instead I see some regression.

NapoleonIV

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
One problems solved, One problem found

I was able to restore to Pages ’09 using Time Machine, and to the pre-Mavericks version of Pages for iOS using iTunes and an old file that iTunes had saved. My new problem is that I can’t turn off iOS auto-update! I turned it off in settings and it still updates Pages to the new (garbage) version!

----------

If people are unhappy with the new pages, be sure to give it a bad rating in the app store! All you have to do is give it one star, though a negative review will only help. Apple made a blunder. Let’s help them back on the right path.

SiPat

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
What with the missing Info tab when you connect iPhone in iTunes and now the new iWork issues, I have gone back to using 10.8.5.

I cloned my ML HD before installing Mavericks and then didn't have access to the computer for two days, so had to forward a dozen emails from Mavericks to myself and fetch them to the cloned ML HD.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I'm very unhappy with it. I wrote the majority of my second book in Pages because it was clean and it had a lot of potential despite its inability to handle large documents and it not being as good as Word. I really hoped that Apple would vastly improve iWork and maybe make it a serious Office competitor. But they went and did the opposite.

Now with even more of the proofing and cross-referencing features gone, I doubt I'll be wasting my time on it again simply because this reminds me of when Apple did pretty much the same thing and ditched AppleWorks in favour of the lacklustre iWork. Pages has been dumbed down beyond belief.

I can't have features constantly coming and going from my software whenever Apple feels like it. I'll be sticking with Microsoft Word, LibreOffice and Vi for my word processing needs in the future. As far as I'm concerned, Apple have had their last chance and I'm not being burned by their incompetence for power-user features again.

cpuin

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2013
Mates, i'll surprise you, but i'm satisfied by new iWork and the simplicity pf the new GUI.The only one i hate ( but it was always like this) is that when opens word file, edit it and on saving doesn't save the change in the current .docx file, but create new Pages.

garycurtis

macrumors 6502
Well, at a cost of $19 from the AP Store, I really shouldn't complain. And i was fleeing from the insanity of MS Word. Uggh. What a clunker. I had a 30-year career in print publishing, and those jerks at Microsoft think they know enough to dictate to the user how the program should dictate aesthetics.

But Pages, to my surprise, lacks one feature I use often Avery Label templates.

NocturnalJazz

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
Don't hate the new Pages ... simply because after reading the reviews I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

I'll send Apple that sentiment as well.... they need to hear it.

I emailed cook (first time I ever emailed apple) last night after I realized how many features are missing or are deeply hidden.

So disappointed. Luckily I was able to pull the old iWork off my old Mbp

avidos

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2009
if ever an upgrade was aimed at destroying a product this was it.

it's an insult to the users at best.

maybe the just want to push mac users to MS and Linux....

I am now thinking what to me would have been unthinkable a week ago. Linux/Windows for my next machine as clearly computers have been abandoned at apple.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Well, at a cost of $19 from the AP Store, I really shouldn't complain. And i was fleeing from the insanity of MS Word. Uggh. What a clunker. I had a 30-year career in print publishing, and those jerks at Microsoft think they know enough to dictate to the user how the program should dictate aesthetics.

But Pages, to my surprise, lacks one feature I use often Avery Label templates.

To be fair, so did Pages '09, but there is/was a website where you could download the template and save it as a new labels template in Pages. I did this 3 years ago so I don't remember if I got the template from Avery's site or an iWorks user forum.

Here's the link to iWork Community:
http://www.iworkcommunity.com

And here:
http://www.macworld.com/article/1157749/pageslabels.html

Last edited:

avidos

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2009
To be fair, so did Pages '09, but there is/was a website where you could download the template and save it as a new labels template in Pages. I did this 3 years ago so I don't remember if I got the template from Avery's site or an iWorks user forum.

sounds like he's talking about the old version... as the new version would make any one from the publishing world scream...

all it is now is a word processor - a very simple one that is harder to use than most.

jayes

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
I was able to restore to Pages ’09 using Time Machine, and to the pre-Mavericks version of Pages for iOS using iTunes and an old file that iTunes had saved. My new problem is that I can’t turn off iOS auto-update! I turned it off in settings and it still updates Pages to the new (garbage) version!

----------

If people are unhappy with the new pages, be sure to give it a bad rating in the app store! All you have to do is give it one star, though a negative review will only help. Apple made a blunder. Let’s help them back on the right path.

i, too, was able to restore the old version of Pages..with the help of Apple tech support. :p but it was much simpler than going to time machine.

Under Applications, there was an iWorks 9 folder with all three.. Pages, Numbers and Keynote. By double clicking each one, I was able to reinstall them. The icon showed up on the dock when it ran. In order to keep the icon from disappearing after closing the program, I had to click and hold the icon, options, put in dock. The icon was NOT in launchpad because I had not deleted the new version of Pages and there can't be two programs with the same name. I could have deleted the newer versions to solve that problem, but the tech suggested I NOT delete the newer versions of Pages, Keynote or Numbers as some programs might be attached to them (or something similar) I was so happy to get the old Pages back, I missed that part.

Also would like to add that I was able to downgrade my iphone back to the older version of Pages by deleting the new version, attaching my iphone to my computer, opening iTunes and dragging the older version of Pages onto my phone. I have, on only one occasion, typed something in Pages on my iPhone and opened it on my Mac, but I guess it's nice to have that option should the need ever arise again.

Last edited:

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I just made the mistake of upgrading all my devices to iWork 5. The newest version of pages takes away functionality, and replaces it with a less intuitive interface. Why is the format bar on the side? Why is it so big? Why is the tool bar still visible in full screen mode? This feels like a clone of the iOS pages, but seriously, iOS pages is fairly terrible on iOS! Why would we ever want it on a real computer?

Yes, I have never been so disappointed with an Apple product as this Page "upgrade". I had hoped that over time Apple would make Pages a more and more capable product. So finally after years they come out with a new Pages and it is worse nd less capable then the old Pages. They are back sliding.

I've got a few projects I'm working on. They may be the last to use iWork.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.