Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
I'd like to know what the common bugs are out there. So far, I think one of them is Mail not working sometimes with iCloud IMAP accounts.

Here's a list of what I've seen:

Dock randomly switches to other screen. (https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18209934#post18209934) This happened for me when I used VNC.

Slow performance after the installation for about an hour.

A lot of inactive RAM even after that (not sure if a problem or not).

Java got uninstalled.

Mail sometimes can't connect to iCloud IMAP accounts.

Pages '08 can't save without crashing after (though it still saves).

A few libraries and video drivers corrupted on one Mac.

Time Machine menu item doesn't spin when it's backing up.

(added Oct 25) The kernel task shows as using a LOT of RAM under "real mem" but a much smaller, more normal amount under "memory" in Activity Monitor. I don't know what the difference is or if this is a bug.

Originally Posted by Sylon: Quick Look is choppy as hell when viewing videos (I've heard of this.)

Originally Posted by bobright: SMB is still jacked up full of errors....smh (I had it fail twice.)

Anything else?

Last edited:

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Launchpad stutters when viewing folders and stops mid-page when swiping between pages

Quick Look is choppy as hell when viewing videos

Bramm

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2007
After I installed Mavericks, my second screen remained black - not one pixel came alive. I decided to open System Preferences to see what could be done. But, alas, System Preferences failed to open. I did a restart and still System Preferences remained closed.
As a webmaster I cannot do without my second screen. Fortunately I had made a clone of the startup disk with SuperDuper before installing Mavericks. I ordered SuperDuper tot put the previous installation back. But to my surprise I got the error message that SuperDuper failed tot copy the files.
I then moved the Library and System folders of Mavericks to the trash, and told SuperDuper to try again. This time it succeeded.
All is well again now. But I will wait a couple of months before retrying Mavericks, hoping that this will then be resolved.

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
I'd like to know what the common bugs are out there. So far, I think one of them is Mail not working sometimes with iCloud IMAP accounts.

Dock randomly switches to other screen. (https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18209934#post18209934) This happened for me when I used VNC.

Java got uninstalled.

Anything else?

I would try to re-install Mavericks. It may clear up some issues.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
I would try to re-install Mavericks. It may clear up some issues.

Did it on the computer with corrupted libraries, but that made matters MUCH worse. Going to take the lemon into Apple - its hard drive already failed twice within 6 months after it was purchased. Mine doesn't have enough issues to warrant a re-install.

----------

Quick Look is choppy as hell when viewing videos

I've heard of this elsewhere, but it hasn't been happening to me.

Last edited:

Suspended
Sep 16, 2013
grid background of Dashboard sometimes disappears (happens after launchpad gets stuck)
- killall Dock fixes this

Quicktime will not play .avi files even with DivX installed
- opens with convert window

No thumbnails for .avi (xvid or divx)

Quicktime has audio stuttering/crackling with .mp4(x264) or .mov on some configurations or when using external audio card (other things like iTunes and vlc work perfect)

Maps app sometimes loses its display tiles (goes grey/beige) and the controls don't zoom in or out
- killall Dock fixes this

launchpad gets stuck between pages if the swiping is too quick

adammgaines

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2013
Tulsa, OK
I have a lot of bugs with the gestures with my magic mouse.

Sometimes Safari freezes when I try to one finger swipe to go back a webpage. I've tried quitting and restarting Safari but that hasn't helped.

Two finger swipe between full screen apps has also been buggy, had a couple of freezes and stutters.

I never had this problem with Mountain Lion and I've had this iMac a few months now.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Java got un-installed after ML too.

Slow performance may be due to spotlight re-indexing.

Java got uninstalled.

(added Oct 25) The kernel task shows as using a LOT of RAM under "real mem" but a much smaller, more normal amount under "memory" in Activity Monitor. I don't know what the difference is or if this is a bug.

Originally Posted by Sylon: Quick Look is choppy as hell when viewing videos (I've heard of this.)

Originally Posted by bobright: SMB is still jacked up full of errors....smh (I had it fail twice.)

Anything else?

josh.b

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2013
strange, most of the stuff on this thread I have not experienced. I did do a clean install though. I have no stutter in video playback using quick look, no stutter in launch pad, mail uses 0% cpu usage and about 70mb of RAM. Actually the only bugs I have come across for Mavs is when pressing ctrl shift sound up/down is no longer silent changes to the volume. The rest is application bugs like corel painter sometimes says it crashes when I close it but didn't really crash and cloud app quitting itself at random times and also visible while in full screen mode (movies).

Cypocryphy

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
I don't know if this has been said yet, but:
  1. After hibernation or some time of non-use, the windows become confused. The red button does nothing but causes my cursor to turn into a double arrow. The green button minimizes (should be the yellow one) and the yellow button closes the window.
  2. After running a video game, every time there is a distortion around the window. It looks like a black box with lines going around it. I have to reboot the computer to rid myself of the effect.
Of course, there is the slow swiping going on in Launchpad.

By tomorrow, I am sure I will have found several more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.