Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CopyChief

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
I can't figure this out. Whenever I try to email a document created with the new Pages application, GMail blocks it due to security concerns. Happens via Apple Mail and the GMail web client.

I wish this was my only problem with Pages!

Yes, I know I can convert it to another format to share the files... but I shouldn't have to workaround (in more clicks than it took before, anyway) in brand-new software.

erthquake

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Haven't used 5.0 yet, but is the Pages document actually a package file? If you right-click on the file, is there an "Open Enclosing Folder" in the context menu? If so, you have to zip (compress) the file before you can send as an attachment. Can't send folders through email.

CopyChief

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
Haven't used 5.0 yet, but is the Pages document actually a package file? If you right-click on the file, is there an "Open Enclosing Folder" in the context menu? If so, you have to zip (compress) the file before you can send as an attachment. Can't send folders through email.

You're right, yes. Technically I understand this, and it's probably the reason the attachments are getting blocked (they do go through if the file is zipped). But from a practical standpoint, it's terrible. (Especially since Pages or Mail do not automatically compress the file, instead directly attaching it to the email.)

radicalcentrist

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2008
Portland, OR
noticed this last night

It used to be that you couldn't email .pages files from the web interface, but using a gmail IMAP account via Mail.app worked just fine. Not with Pages 5, though.

The zip archive is definitely the way to go. I don't know if Apple and Google will get this figured out.

CopyChief

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
The zip archive is definitely the way to go. I don't know if Apple and Google will get this figured out.

The "way to go" for me is, unfortunately, to use the old version. I'd love to be able to streamline things between iOS and OSX (especially with the new iPad Air coming out...) but it's just not going to happen for me yet.

Mangowoman

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2013
Page 5 and gmail

I'm so relieved to read this thread. I updated to Pages 5 today and have been going crazy with a lot of things I don't like about it, but the worst part was not being able to send out documents via gmail - being blocked. So aggravating. But at least now I know it's not just me that's being blocked.

I also am annoyed that they dropped the Search feature which was a column on the left that listed the pages of everywhere in the document that the word or phrase you are looking for is located. So simple to scroll through and leap through the document. I am working on a document that is close to 90,000 works and I need this. Using Find to search word by word is painful.

And there's more but mostly all I wanted to do today was email a copy to myself - it's my added back up. But no, can't do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.