Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Before 10.9, in iTunes you could sync contacts under the "Info" pane, and you could direct iTunes to take contacts from your desktop, and install them to your iPhone (or iPad, iPod, etc.) without a sync -- it was a simple transfer.

Now in 10.9, the "Info" tab is gone. So how the hell does one import contacts from a desktop computer to the iPhone, or any other iOS device. Do we use iTunes, and if so, how. Do we use contacts?

Please don't tell me we have to use iCloud. I don't want my address book in the cloud.

----------

In fact, looking at the iCloud options, I don't even see how to do just Contacts using iCloud (which I don't want to do anyway).

Seriously Apple, you need to improve this ASAP, you need some sort of "info" or "data" tab where people can select the information they want to sync to their iPhone, or iPad, or even iPod Touch, etc.

(Cross-posted from the Mavericks forum as well. This could be a major issue if there isn't a simple way to get info like contacts onto your iPhone via a simple transfer.)

Velin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Isn't anyone else outraged that Apple has essentially removed the ability to locally sync your contacts in the OSX environment?

Who the hell wants to upload their contacts to the cloud? More importantly, why is Apple forcing people to upload their private contacts to the cloud? Why in the hell don't we have a native, local sync, just like we did before 10.9?

I, for one, refuse to upload my rolodex and other personal and private info, notes, etc. to some server I have no control over.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Isn't anyone else outraged that Apple has essentially removed the ability to locally sync your contacts in the OSX environment?

Who the hell wants to upload their contacts to the cloud? More importantly, why is Apple forcing people to upload their private contacts to the cloud? Why in the hell don't we have a native, local sync, just like we did before 10.9?

I, for one, refuse to upload my rolodex and other personal and private info, notes, etc. to some server I have no control over.
Most use iCloud.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Who the hell wants to upload their contacts to the cloud?

iCloud contacts are a great convenience for many users. I personally find it very useful that if I update a contact's details on my MacBook, I can walk out the house and the updated contact is on my iPhone automatically. Or, as happened to me not so long ago, get a replacement iPhone up, running and installed with contacts while in an Apple store.

Not using iCloud isn't an answer to your security fears. If your phone has connectivity to the outside world there is always the chance that your data is being pinched. However, Apple state that iCloud data is encrypted, passed over secure channels, and that they themselves cannot get at it. I'm inclined to assume that isn't a lie.

If, however, a phone's content can be compromised by the NSA, they'll do it whether you use iCloud or not. And you'll never know.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Do not worry about the Cloud being secure as the NSA has the power to go right though you phone directly. Heck Starbucks can do it while drinking you coffee!:rolleyes:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

Doesn't look like it.

Who the hell wants to upload their contacts to the cloud?

People who don't want to lose all of their data when their house burns down.

You seem to be confident that your contacts are secure within your own computer. I don't share that confidence, personally. So if the security difference is zero I see absolutely no reason not to use the cloud.

jb-net

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2012
Austria

I'm outraged too and will not update to Mavericks! :mad:

People who don't want to lose all of their data when their house burns down.

Anyone heard of backups?

You seem to be confident that your contacts are secure within your own computer.

More secure than the cloud for sure!

jb-net

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2012
Austria
I'm willing to bet all of Carl Icahn's stake in Apple that the cloud is more secure than your Mac.

Wait a moment, are you saying a Mac is not secure? Should I use Windows instead? ;)

It doesn't really matter how secure the cloud is. I don't want to use it for my personal data. Apple has to respect this decision. And if the ability of local syncing doesn't come back in some future update I will switch to some other smartphone brand.

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
What's worse is that I previously did:
Google <-> OS X <-> iPhone
So that I always had a backup copy (offline) of my Google Contacts on my Mac. Now all my contacts on the iPhone are "On my iPhone" and I can't update my Mac ones from that (and consequently my Google ones)!

If I migrate to Google-only now I'll lose any contact changes from when I upgraded to Mavericks until now (which I don't know how many were)... This is bad. They left us kind of orphaned...

hairypoo

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2011
Please don't tell me we have to use iCloud. I don't want my address book in the cloud.

----------

In fact, looking at the iCloud options, I don't even see how to do just Contacts using iCloud (which I don't want to do anyway).

Seriously Apple, you need to improve this ASAP, you need some sort of "info" or "data" tab where people can select the information they want to sync to their iPhone, or iPad, or even iPod Touch, etc.

(Cross-posted from the Mavericks forum as well. This could be a major issue if there isn't a simple way to get info like contacts onto your iPhone via a simple transfer.)

I am as displeased with this loss of freedom to decide myself on these issues as you. Worse still, Apple also promotes the Keychain in the cloud! What the hell is this?

Does anybody know if there are ways to sync AddressBook etc WITHOUT using the cloud?

Is it possible to stop Mavericks "clouding" the Keychain?

Thanks

p.s.: It is not that my laptop and desktop are necessarily safer than the cloud. But NSA for one collects the data from the various clouds (google, apple, amazon, dropbox, yahoo, etc) indiscriminately and bulk. If they get interested in my information that resides on my macs, then they need to specifically target my macs and won't have a copy on their HDDs automatically. Then, every hacking technology developed by NSA will rather sooner than later be general criminal technology. That's the difference between these options.

Last edited:

Velin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Does anybody know if there are ways to sync AddressBook etc WITHOUT using the cloud?
Haven't found one yet. It's terrible.

Is it possible to stop Mavericks "clouding" the Keychain?
Under iCloud settings, I believe you can switch Keychain to the "off" position, esp. in iOS devices. Mavericks, go to system preferences, iCloud, switch off keychain. Same for iOS.

joeshmo2010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
Oh god, more security freaks. Seriously, just use iCloud. Make your life simpler, and stop worrying. Your dats is compromised no matter what you do. The NSA already has access to pretty much anything. There have been reports that iCloud and imessage are too secure for them, but it honestly doubt it. Stop living in the past. Just use the technology of today and stop worrying about it :cool:

Last edited:

AlamK

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2013
There is a difference between opting to use "features of convenience" and being forced to accept them! :rolleyes:

As Benjamin Franklin said a few moons ago:

"Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither."

Sooner or later it comes true!

tmt

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2009
I just got to this point as I got my new phone!
So I´m supposed to get another e-mail (icloud) to get contacts in my new phone?

AlamK

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2013
I just got to this point as I got my new phone!
So I´m supposed to get another e-mail (icloud) to get contacts in my new phone?

No, not necessarily. You can use your current email/account with Apple that is valid for use with iTune and sign up for the iCloud after agreeing to their terms, of course.

An alternative is to initially use contacts from your email you already use but then often time you may find emails you may used long ago and have no use for them now. All unwanted contacts will have to be manually deleted, one at a time.

Another alternative to avoid synching through iCloud, assuming that is wish, is to use an older machine that may still be running something pre- 10.9. In that case the old way of manually synching contacts and calendar is still available.

Good luck! ;)

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
And if the ability of local syncing doesn't come back in some future update I will switch to some other smartphone brand.

What other smartphone brand would that be?

iPhone... depends on SyncServices to sync locally. Mavericks removes SyncServices... they've been deprecated since Lion.

BlackBerry... depends on SyncServices... unless you buy a Q10. BB has a tool called Blackberry Link that sort of supports the Q10, because SyncServices never supported the Q10.

Android... you're kidding, right? Exactly what local sync solution does an Android phone have? Well Mark/Sense used to have something that claimed to do it.

You're seeing this posturing all over. But when you press someone as to what they think they're going to replace it with, they have no idea.

CMtech

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2013
For those with limited Internet?

A more basic question than "do I trust iCloud?" is "how do I sync without Internet access?"

I live and travel where there is limited or often no Internet. There are many parts of the world where Internet is not widely available.

I sync at home (via iTunes and USB). Unless I misunderstand, with Mavericks Apple appears to have dictated that I take every device ( computer, (wifi) iPads, and iPhone) to a hotspot somewhere every time I sync Contacts and Calendar?

How do I sync when Internet is not an option?

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Yes, there are other threads complaining about losing USB sync...and, believe or not, many folks are contractually obliged to NOT put their contact list in the cloud.

Main question is, which Apple exec thought that removing USB sync was a winning idea--which Apple exec thought this wouldn't create a big stink? Why not just have a either/or choice in Preferences, both in iOS 7 and in Mavericks?

Meantime, if you want USB sync, you have to find an iPhone 5S that's still on iOS 7.0.2 and you can't upgrade to Mavericks.

genealto

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2012
Don't care to use iCloud.

Syncing my iPhone to my MacBook Pro contacts no longer works unless I use iCloud as the storage media. My MacBook only contacts are now froze to the sync with the previous version of iTunes.

I really don't care to have my contacts or other personal information uploaded to iCloud or any other such site that I do not have total control over. It is my personal choice that I wish Apple had not removed.:mad:

AlamK

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2013
Main question is, which Apple exec thought that removing USB sync was a winning idea--which Apple exec thought this wouldn't create a big stink? Why not just have a either/or choice in Preferences, both in iOS 7 and in Mavericks?

Probably the same group of brilliant minds who thought that removing bulk of the 3D effects and pleasing colors from most default settings of apps and turning them into largely shades of grey in 2D in iOS 7 is a very clever idea. Case in point, compare the appearance of iBook in the previous version with its current iteration!

If I wanted something so Window-esque, I would buy a Wincrap tablet for half the price. And as a matter of fact, despite that fact that I have always used Apple products from their very first computer, I have finally bought my first Windows 8 tablet from Dell. It came with home version of Office and 64 GB of memory for $330. I can actually use Excel with full functionalities for a change, rather than an incompetent counterpart "Numbers" from Apple.

It will be interesting to see if the current brilliant minds at Apple wake up before it's too late before ending up reducing themselves into just another trinket maker and an outlet for buying tunes. Future path chartered by Steve Jobs, as good as it may have been, wouldn't last for ever and that's without considering the dynamic changes in tech market. :(

zjazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
This is the only reason why I'm not upgrading to Mavericks and newer iTunes. This is really bad that Apple forces you to use iCloud. I don't mind to use it but I'm forced to purchase additional iCloud space because my backup data from my iPhone won't fit, no way, into 5GB they give for free. So I'm suppose to spend money to be able to backup my phone? It's ridiculous!!!! And I'm also travel a lot so not always have internet, how am I suppose to backup then? Local backup is MUST!!!

It is working perfect in pre Mavericks OS so I'm not gonna upgrade until they re-enable local USB backup.

tariq73

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2014
Sync Locally in Mavericks

This is the only reason why I'm not upgrading to Mavericks and newer iTunes. This is really bad that Apple forces you to use iCloud. I don't mind to use it but I'm forced to purchase additional iCloud space because my backup data from my iPhone won't fit, no way, into 5GB they give for free. So I'm suppose to spend money to be able to backup my phone? It's ridiculous!!!! And I'm also travel a lot so not always have internet, how am I suppose to backup then? Local backup is MUST!!!

It is working perfect in pre Mavericks OS so I'm not gonna upgrade until they re-enable local USB backup.

Or you could get SyncMate 5 from Eltima and install the free Beta Version and test it under Mavericks (before they release the paid for final version). If I'm not mistaken the app allows you to synchronise Mac and various devices including iphones offline. Hope this works for you.

oldted

macrumors newbie
Without broadband, I don't even have iCloud.

I have MacBook Pro with Mavericks and new iPhone 5s.

After searching for a way to put the MacBook contact list onto the iPhone I have tried exporting the contacts archive and emaiing that file to the iPhone.

I am yet to discover how to open that file in contacts on the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.