Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
I have a 24" external monitor hooked up to my rMBP as a secondary display. Since upgrading to 10.9, the new "Multiple Display feature" has made opening apps a pain in the ass.

It seems that which ever display the dock is on is the display the app window will open in. Makes sense but this is extremely stupid for those who want to launch apps from the primary display and have them open on the secondary display. Even after repositioning the app window where I want it, quitting and reopening the app causes it to open on the primary display again. It doesn't remember the last position like it used to in Mountain Lion.

I've found a semi-fix and that is to add a new desktop space to my secondary display, right click on the app in the dock, choose options and then select "Assign to...desktop on display 2." This "fix" however only puts the window on the secondary display - it still resizes it and moves it so I still end up dragging it where I want it.

Another fix is to invoke the dock to the secondary display and then launch the app, however the dock cuts off the bottom part of the window so I STILL have to resize the window.

The only fool-proof fix right now is to invoke Spotlight search on the secondary display and use it to launch the app. THEN it will open where it is supposed to.

tl;dr - the multiple displays feature is a pain in the ass when opening apps.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Apps like Mail, which keep their window, will launch and stay in the same display. If the app has a "resume" document window stored, then it will stay in that display.

If you want to specify which monitor an app should launch in, then just make sure that display has the menubar and launch the app from there, using Spotlight, Launchpad, the Finder, Dock....

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
Apps like Mail, which keep their window, will launch and stay in the same display. If the app has a "resume" document window stored, then it will stay in that display.

If you want to specify which monitor an app should launch in, then just make sure that display has the menubar and launch the app from there, using Spotlight, Launchpad, the Finder, Dock....

Spotlight is inconvenient, Launchpad opens on the primary display ONLY, using Finder is counter-intuitive and if I use the dock from the secondary display then the bottom part of the window is moved up. I keep the dock on my primary display ONLY so out of the 4 solutions you've provided, the only one that works the way it should is Spotlight. But I shouldn't have to Spotlight search the app I want to open just so it opens where it should.

PWS

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
The default monitor the Mail window opens on has changed on my computer as well.

The other thing is when I drag a window across the 2 displays (MB Pro and a 22" monitor connected via mini-displayport) the window "ghosts" on the destination and disappears altogether if the window is left stretching across both monitors...anyone else have this issue?

Thanks, Peter

DayVe3000

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2012
England
I think the app opening on the screen the dock was used on is a great idea personally . . . Its just a shame none of this multi monitor support really works at all.

Fed up of fighting with the dock to get it to appear, translucent menu bars not becoming active and several examples of apps just not functioning right - Feels like a Beta.

However - To offer a suggestion for your resizing problem. I use an app called Cinch (available via the app store or google for a free trial. Mimics Windows Aero and will automatically resize apps to entire windows for you . . . If only Apple had took this on native - I've never been a fan of the "smart resize".

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
I think the app opening on the screen the dock was used on is a great idea personally . . . Its just a shame none of this multi monitor support really works at all.

Fed up of fighting with the dock to get it to appear, translucent menu bars not becoming active and several examples of apps just not functioning right - Feels like a Beta.

However - To offer a suggestion for your resizing problem. I use an app called Cinch (available via the app store or google for a free trial. Mimics Windows Aero and will automatically resize apps to entire windows for you . . . If only Apple had took this on native - I've never been a fan of the "smart resize".

It is a good idea and it does make sense however we should have been given the choice to use that "feature." I like launching my apps from my primary display and having them open on the secondary. It's personal preference. On ML it remembered the last open position and that's where it put the app window at. On Mavericks it completely disregards the last used position and launches it wherever it feels like on the display the app was launched from.

The dock has always appeared when I invoked it on either display and the menu bar always becomes active when I click on its respective display, so I don't know why you're having that trouble.

That isn't a fix to the issue, not for me at least - I like to keep safari letterboxed so having that app resize it to fit the screen wouldn't be what I need.

DayVe3000

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2012
England
Strange - several people have reported a 'sticky' or 'shy' dock (call it what you will).

Maybe I'll try installing Mavericks again on another disk and see if I still have these issues.

I guess it's swings and roundabouts - that open from last position use to drive me nuts (as I don't always have my second display turned on. I'd loose apps.

If you go back to your primary display to summon the dock to open your apps do you still have a problem?

vbrad26

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2010
I too am suffering from the "sticky dock" on multiple displays.
Try doing this with your windows though.
Open the program you want and just let it open on whatever display.
Then drag it to the display you want it on.
Then clock the bottom right corner and re-size the program window.
Make it whatever size you want but just re-size it using that method.
Then close the widow and then re-open it and it SHOULD open back up in the same place you closed it.
That is as long you don't have the option checked off to have it open on a specific display.
Let me know if that does not make sense or just does not work.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
I too am suffering from the "sticky dock" on multiple displays.
Try doing this with your windows though.
Open the program you want and just let it open on whatever display.
Then drag it to the display you want it on.
Then clock the bottom right corner and re-size the program window.
Make it whatever size you want but just re-size it using that method.
Then close the widow and then re-open it and it SHOULD open back up in the same place you closed it.
That is as long you don't have the option checked off to have it open on a specific display.
Let me know if that does not make sense or just does not work.

I have disabled the multiple desktop spaces feature since I cannot break the habit of opening apps from my primary display. I will re-enable it tonight and let you know if this method works. Just to clarify, these are the steps?

1. Open the app and let it open where it wants
2. Drag the app's window to the display I want it to open on from that point forward
3. Resize the window by dragging the bottom right hand corner of the window
4. Close/reopen and it should be in the same place I left it?

I have it set so the app window opens on the desktop on display 2.

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I hate the new multiple monitor support. I use at work my main monitor with Vmware Fusion running Windows 8 and my macbook air monitor with all my Mac stuff. Well now, the dock seems to disappear constantly and to get it back I have to click in my Mac window and click anywhere. How do you get the dock to remain in at least of my screens like it did in Mountain Lion? It seems impossible to get it to load on the second monitor too from bottom.

Also, Google Chrome within my Windows VM has it's tabs cut off by the Apple Menus on the top so I have to disable them. I think i need to upgrade to Fusion 6 from 5 though for that fix.

vbrad26

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2010
I have disabled the multiple desktop spaces feature since I cannot break the habit of opening apps from my primary display. I will re-enable it tonight and let you know if this method works. Just to clarify, these are the steps?

1. Open the app and let it open where it wants
2. Drag the app's window to the display I want it to open on from that point forward
3. Resize the window by dragging the bottom right hand corner of the window
4. Close/reopen and it should be in the same place I left it?

I have it set so the app window opens on the desktop on display 2.

Yep those are the steps.
I have not had to do it yet but I was doing this in ML when it would act up

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
Yep those are the steps.
I have not had to do it yet but I was doing this in ML when it would act up

Those steps do not work. As I said in a post or two above, Mavericks completely disregards window position and only opens app windows on the desktop they were launched on.

vbrad26

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2010
Those steps do not work. As I said in a post or two above, Mavericks completely disregards window position and only opens app windows on the desktop they were launched on.

Hmm well that is strange because I am not having that problem on my end.
As long as I mess with the window size (no matter which display) I can re-launch (no matter what dock) to the same place it was when I closed it.
:confused:

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
In the dock, under the options for each item, you can set which display it opens on.

As said in the original post, doing this opens it on the correct display but it still disregards the last open position and window size. It pushes the window more to the left each time I open it with this method so I still have to drag and resize the window.

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
As said in the original post, doing this opens it on the correct display but it still disregards the last open position and window size. It pushes the window more to the left each time I open it with this method so I still have to drag and resize the window.

I think a lot of apps still need tweaks to deal with the new desktops and spaces functionality. Some apps currently seem to remember window positions. Other apps don't. The same is true with the second menu bar and full screen functionality.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
I think a lot of apps still need tweaks to deal with the new desktops and spaces functionality. Some apps currently seem to remember window positions. Other apps don't. The same is true with the second menu bar and full screen functionality.

I'm having this problem with apps developed by Apple themselves. They shouldn't still need tweaked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.