Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BizJet78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Hi all,

I finally ditched my ageing Dell XPS machine and ordered a new 15" MBP which should be arriving some time this morning.

I am an iOS user but have no experience of OSX.

I have already picked up Parallels (so I can continue running my Windows stuff) and Little Snitch - but after that I don't know what good stuff I need.

I presume OSX is more secure than Windows with regards to Virus / Firewall etc but am a little reluctant to trust Apple fully - so do you recommend any security software?

Also - any other juicy stuff I should have?

I'm also working my way through the Mac Basics section of the Apple website but if anyone has any pointers on guides for an ex-PC user to get up to speed on Mavericks then I would appreciate that too :)

Thanks all.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Take a look at the blog post 50 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About OS X Mavericks. Bookmark the site MacUpdate.com.

Wait for David Pogue to release his Missing Manual for Mavericks edition to come out and get it.

Bookmark the Apple document OS X Keyboard Shortcuts.

Besides this web site bookmark the sites MacOSXHints.com, Accellerate Your Macintosh.com, LoopInsight.com. Lastly if you have a third party router bookmark the Apple web site Well known TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products.

Last edited:

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I presume OSX is more secure than Windows with regards to Virus / Firewall etc but am a little reluctant to trust Apple fully - so do you recommend any security software?

Thanks all.

You really dont need any anti malware/virus stuff on the mac side but do install it for windows in parallels.

Just take your time to adjust and google issues as you find them. Most problems will have a simple solution.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
Wait for David Pogue to release his Missing Manual for Mavericks edition to come out and get it.

I can wholeheartedly recommend that manual assuming its like earlier revisions, as a long long time windows user it was invaluable when i switched, wanted to do something and was stuck, because the manual is organized along the lines "If you did this on Windows, here's what you do in Mac to accomplish the same end."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.