Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webcity

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
United Kingdom
I am currently thinking about setting up a small recording setup. I have plenty of experience with PA systems, but will just be learning the recording side, but I want to make sure I get the right kit.

Having Macs at work (and a MBP at home), I definitely want to base my setup around a Mac of some sort but I'm unsure which way to go.

I don't really have a budget in mind but bearing in mind I need to buy the whole setup, I've boiled my choices down to the following:

1. 21.5" 2.7GHz iMac
2. 2.5GHz Mac Mini with 27" Display (probably a Dell Ultrasharp).

Both will end up costing about the same but I'm not sure whether the quad core in the iMac will prove useful over the dual core in the Mac Mini, plus the Mac Mini has a smaller drive, etc.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Having both the mini w/27" thunderbolt and a 27" iMac I'd say do the Mini/display. There are compromises, especially now with the new form factor iMacs that essentially hog tie you on upgradeability. While the iMac is essentially a sealed, barely user upgradeable unit you can fusion drive the Mini, change it's config, etc. Also if say the logic board goes bad just out of warranty you buy another Mini rather than buying an all new iMac. Or a Macbook, etc as you'll already have a nice display.

They're both nice machines, don't get me wrong, but it's about options.

As a bonus, you'll get the full 2560x1440 on the Mini/Thunderbolt display whereby the iMac is 1920x1080

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.