Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Old Oct 24, 2013, 07:01 AM   #1
Mike.Katz
macrumors newbie

Mavericks installation

An interesting "bug" occurred when installing Mavericks. My Administrator password was needed. However, I do not have an administrator password as I always leave this blank. It was never set up.

This time when prompted to enter the administrator password upon installation, and I left the field blank, it was not accepted.

It was only after I went back to settings and established a password, then started the installation again and entered the new password was I able to proceed!
Mike.Katz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 07:22 AM   #2
MisterMe
macrumors G4

It is not true that you did not have an Administrator password before. You had an Administrator password, but it was blank. This is a bad thing. This was permitted before. It appears that blank Administrator passwords are no longer permitted. This is a good thing.
MisterMe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 07:44 AM   #3
KaraH
macrumors 6502

True, I hate having to set up a password as I use automatic login and practice safe networking. A blank password causes all sorts of problems though.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:18 PM   #4
scofen
macrumors newbie

hint is blank in administrator password

I just had a new OSX 10.9 installed on my Macbook Pro. When I try to download Adobe it asks for the administrator's password and the hint is blank. I have left it blank and typed in the word blank but it still does not work. I have read that you can change your password using your apple ID but when i go to User Groups the box that I need to tick cannot be ticked (it won't allow me to tick it). Any ideas?
scofen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:23 PM   #5
TheBacklash
macrumors member

Blank password on an Admin user=bad idea.
Not only is it not safe, they are correct.. it causes other problems.

You should always have a password..

Quote:
Originally Posted by scofen View Post
I just had a new OSX 10.9 installed on my Macbook Pro. When I try to download Adobe it asks for the administrator's password and the hint is blank. I have left it blank and typed in the word blank but it still does not work. I have read that you can change your password using your apple ID but when i go to User Groups the box that I need to tick cannot be ticked (it won't allow me to tick it). Any ideas?
When you go into the Users & Groups, the lock int he bottom left of the pane should be locked. click it and probably just hit enter to unlock and allow changes.
you should be able to enter a new password now.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)