Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 24, 2013, 09:55 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Retina iPad Mini Launch Supplies Set to Be 'Ridiculously Tight' Until Early 2014

Following concerns expressed during the lead-up to this week's Apple media event that the company would be unable to launch the Retina iPad mini in any significant volume before the end of the year, supply chain analysts continue to expect very low supplies of the device when it launches next month.

Shortly after Apple announced the new Retina iPad mini, IHS iSuppli analyst Rhoda Alexander noted that supplies will indeed be "severely constrained", according to CNET.
Quote:
"The supply for that product is severely constrained," said Rhoda Alexander, director of Tablet and Monitor Research at IHS iSuppli.

"We don't expect to see meaningful volume until first quarter [of 2014]."
Alexander expanded a bit more in comments shared by The Telegraph yesterday, calling the supplies "ridiculously tight" at one-third the levels seen for last year's launch of the original iPad mini.
Quote:
Rhoda Alexander, director of tablet research at IHS electronis and media, said: "The supply of the Retina Mini is going to be ridiculously tight in the fourth quarter.

"Apple's 2013 iPad shipment growth is shaping up to be comparatively modest and the shift in launch cycles has played a major role in the slowdown."
Production of the Retina display panels for the new iPad mini is said to be the bottleneck for Apple, with Apple's suppliers needing to optimize processes for building displays with the same number of pixels as the full-size iPad but at the higher pixel density of the iPhone and iPod touch.

Alexander is certainly not the only analyst to be predicting tight supplies of the new iPad mini, with KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo making similar claims. Kuo's modeling has Apple shipping only a little over 2.2 million Retina iPad mini units during the fourth quarter due to those low supplies and a mid-quarter launch, compared to nearly 6.6 million units of the non-Retina iPad mini.

Apple's own announcements have also suggested low availability of the Retina iPad mini, with the company introducing the device at Tuesday's event but declining to announce an exact launch date in specifying only "November". And with the iPad Air launching on November 1, it seems clear that Apple is struggling to produce the new Retina iPad mini in quantities sufficient enough to allow it to launch as the holiday shopping season kicks off at the end of November.

Article Link: Retina iPad Mini Launch Supplies Set to Be 'Ridiculously Tight' Until Early 2014
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 09:56 AM   #2
frayne182
macrumors 6502

Here we go again lol.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 09:57 AM   #3
Osullivan1
macrumors regular

iPad Air for Christmas it is then....

-- Push notifications bought be here, loving that feature!
Osullivan1 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 09:57 AM   #4
MTL18
macrumors regular

Rough

Looks like some people might be getting gift cards under the tree this year!

Again, I'm hoping this is incorrect. If not, it would be a pretty rough oversight by Apple...Doesn't take a brilliant man to understand that products need to be on the shelf for holiday shopping season.
MTL18 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 09:57 AM   #5
Kobayagi
macrumors regular

Oh I just love these MacRumors notifications in Mavericks! Hope more news sites implement them.
Kobayagi is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 09:57 AM   #6
irfaanfaki
macrumors member

😔
Attached Images

irfaanfaki is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 09:59 AM   #7
spiderman0616
macrumors 65816

Well, according to about 10 different CNET articles on Tuesday, nobody is going to buy them anyway, or any other iPad again for that matter, so it's probably not too big of a deal.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:01 AM   #8
RobbieBott
macrumors newbie

Unlocked

Does anybody know if the Retina Minis will be carrier unlocked. If I buy from T-Mobile can I use it on AT&T as well?
RobbieBott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:01 AM   #9
macchiato2009
macrumors 65816

i remember the stocks last year

my apple store is a flagship but had very little stock of iPad Mini, our customers couldn't wait so they went for the more expensive iPad

also our market leader was forcing us to call our business clients to make pre-orders

they paid in advance and had to wait for weeks to get their products...

macchiato2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:02 AM   #10
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a

Where is the gold version?

Where is the A7X?

Where is Touch ID?
Xenomorph is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:03 AM   #11
Rogifan
macrumors 604

My guess is this tablet will be in ample supply.

Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:03 AM   #12
Fireball Dragon
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobayagi View Post
Oh I just love these MacRumors notifications in Mavericks! Hope more news sites implement them.
Agreed, that's how I got here, too! lol
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:03 AM   #13
WBRacing
macrumors member

The supply Vs demand game is always interesting. Porsche used to be very good at it too, limiting stock helped keep the residuals high, whilst demand for the product remained high. Thing is, over time, people get bored of waiting and will start seeking alternatives. It also allows time for competitors to up their game.
WBRacing is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:04 AM   #14
iphone01ninja
macrumors newbie

It sounds some kind of maketing tactics. If you just do not prepare for large volume production, why wouldn't you put the conferrence a while back, this seems much reasonable.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:04 AM   #15
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
Where is the gold version?

Where is the A7X?

Where is Touch ID?
What would A7X have that A7 doesn't have?
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:05 AM   #16
charlituna
macrumors 604

Demand will be super high. Supplies will be tight. Analysts will claim production issues. Opening weekend sales will be record breaking and many many millions.

Did I miss anything.
charlituna is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:05 AM   #17
FrizzleFryBen
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwyattjr View Post
That's what he said
Is that when she leaves you?

Anywho, I have a hard time believing Apple would set themselves up for over a year of shortages. A few months may be good for hype, but a year, that's just lost revenue.
FrizzleFryBen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:06 AM   #18
sharbeen
macrumors newbie

Since I do a lot photography and love photographs I personally prefer the iPad. Now Have to wait I guess 2 months for the device to reach UAE. Just today UAE began preorder from one of the telecoms. I was one of the few lucky ones to get hold of the Gold. As of now Gold is out of stock though black and silver is still available. Well just FYI.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:06 AM   #19
ryuok
macrumors regular

I bet the mini costs more to produce than the air, yet sell for $100 less. The pricing doesn't seem to make any sense.
ryuok is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:06 AM   #20
tigres
macrumors 68040

'Ridiculously Tight' seems to be the new theme for product release(s) over the last year +
iMac
iPad
iPad mini
iPhone

Channel inventory / supply chain is supposedly someone's strength at Apple
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:08 AM   #21
zedsdead
macrumors 68030

A Large reason for this is also because of China being included in the initial launch. This is causing annoyances with not allowing preorders of the 5s and iPad Air for launch day.
zedsdead is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:08 AM   #22
Bach2011
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone01ninja View Post
It sounds some kind of maketing tactics. If you just do not prepare for large volume production, why wouldn't you put the conferrence a while back, this seems much reasonable.
I hate this too. Some people would try to make profit from that. It doesn't seem they ready to sell but just to let people delay from buying other brands.
Bach2011 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:08 AM   #23
JaySoul
macrumors 6502a

My wallet will share this ridiculous tightness.
JaySoul is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:11 AM   #24
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

They're doing it on purpose lol
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:11 AM   #25
prezasti
macrumors 6502

Quote:
"The supply of the Retina Mini is going to be ridiculously tight in the fourth quarter."

So he is basically saying Apple will still sell/ship more Units than the Surface and Surface Pro sold all last year combined, but there will still be a waiting period for most people?
prezasti is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion