Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
UK
Thought it was worth having a thread about any issues with upgrading to Mavericks that are relevant to photographers and image makers.

I have just updated my early 2008 Macbook Pro (my backup mac) and all went smoothly. It free'd up 5GB of disk space and I'm hoping for better battery life. This is the kind of OS update I like with performance/productivity gains rather than whizzy features that don't really do anything.

One thing I have noticed in Lightroom 4 the sliders now all have a pale grey background rather than the gradients they had before. Not really a big deal.

Anyone had any other issues?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Xrite haven't updated their drivers yet. Leave it about a week if you need to calibrate.

Has anybody had any issues with the following software I use?

LR 5
NIK Complete Collection
OnOne Perfect Photo Suite 7.5
DXO Optics Elite 8, Viewpoint 2, Filmpack 4?

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Has anybody had any issues with the following software I use?

LR 5
NIK Complete Collection
OnOne Perfect Photo Suite 7.5
DXO Optics Elite 8, Viewpoint 2, Filmpack 4?

I upgraded to Mavericks the other day, and I have both LR5 and NIK Collection, and there were no issues whatsoever with either program. Although I just the NIK Software as a Plug-in to CS6, but it still worked fine.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
I upgraded to Mavericks the other day, and I have both LR5 and NIK Collection, and there were no issues whatsoever with either program. Although I just the NIK Software as a Plug-in to CS6, but it still worked fine.

All useful to know, I'll bookmark this thread. Have to admit I'll be playing a waiting game after being an early adopter of Snow Leopard only for my printer to stop working for weeks until HP published a new driver.

I use Parallels 8 so I'm watching compatibility threads about that too!

Regarding Nik/Google plugins btw - you can now get the entire suite for Lightroom, PS and Aperture for no extra charge (useful if you originally bought them for just one application). Have read of this short thread for more info:
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18111817#post18111817

Will post my experience as and when I make the shift to Mavericks :)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
All useful to know, I'll bookmark this thread. Have to admit I'll be playing a waiting game after being an early adopter of Snow Leopard only for my printer to stop working for weeks until HP published a new driver.

I use Parallels 8 so I'm watching compatibility threads about that too!

Regarding Nik/Google plugins btw - you can now get the entire suite for Lightroom, PS and Aperture for no extra charge (useful if you originally bought them for just one application). Have read of this short thread for more info:
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18111817#post18111817

Will post my experience as and when I make the shift to Mavericks :)

I have the full Photoshop version but use it with LR as I don't own Photoshop. I hadn't even thought about my printer though! Anybody using a Cannon Pixmar printer with Mavericks?

Evil Spoonman

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2011
California
Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 5, and the Olympus Firmware Updater application all seem to function fine under Mavericks.

X-Rite's software for calibration seems to work too, although it just got an update which I haven't installed so maybe there are issues I haven't noticed.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
I've been using Mavericks since the first developer preview and have NEVER had any issues with photography-related programs whatsoever.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Xrite haven't updated their drivers yet. Leave it about a week if you need to calibrate.

Colour Munki is fine. It didn't recognise my previous profile but I just recalibrated and it was fine. Didn't need further updates.

Nik stuff, LR5 and Photoshop CS6 is fine.

Nothing else I use is broken except onyx. But that's obvious.

My mid 2010 17" has gained about 1h15 of Lightroom time on battery.

I think It's an epic update.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
StarStax has a Maveicks version that needs to be used
I'm using it and so far works fine for me.
http://www.markus-enzweiler.de/StarStaX/StarStaX.html#download
Mac OS X version (experimental), 10.9 (OS X Mavericks)
An experimental build of StarStaX for Mac OS X Mavericks (10.9) is available as a .dmg file from here: StarStaX-0.60-experimental_Mac_10.9.dmg
It may or may not work and will most likely have some issues and glitches (fonts, graphics, …).

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I'm going to take it as a really good sign that most of the comments are positive about Mavericks. Since most posters are really really quick to post criticisms, and hardly ever post positive reviews... the fact that there are so few negative comments compared to the positive ones probably means that Mavericks is actually really stable and hasn't broken a lot of things. I'll keep watching this thread for a bit longer, but I'm hopeful that Mavericks will be one of those releases that doesn't bite the early adopters too hard.

Sherifelabd

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2013
Perfect Photo Suite 7.5 Problem

Is anyone else facing a problems with PPS 7.5 complete after updating to Mavericks, as I'm having many problems?

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Is anyone else facing a problems with PPS 7.5 complete after updating to Mavericks, as I'm having many problems?

I'm not seeing specific issues, but I hardly exercise the full suite. I sometimes see crashes, but...that's always been true. What are some of the issues you're seeing? Would definitely help to have some more specifics. What's your hardware like? What plugins? Aperture/Lightroom?

Sherifelabd

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2013
I'm not seeing specific issues, but I hardly exercise the full suite. I sometimes see crashes, but...that's always been true. What are some of the issues you're seeing? Would definitely help to have some more specifics. What's your hardware like? What plugins? Aperture/Lightroom?

When I use it in its standalone app, I can never open any file it always hangs/crash. So I can't use it at all. It's currently useless.

I'm seriously thinking of downloading the beta 8 maybe it helps.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
For still photography, Aperture 3.5 works fine for me under Mavericks.

One issue that has been appearing relates to video. Many .avi and .mp4 formats are no longer recognizable to the version of Quicktime that comes with Mavericks. Apparently, it prefers the same formats that work with iTunes (.mkv, .m4v, .mov). When one tries to open one of these "nonsupported" video formats, Mavericks starts to convert it to a .mov file. Quite annoying. There may be some workarounds or plug-ins that can help, but I have not taken the time to find them yet.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
When I use it in its standalone app, I can never open any file it always hangs/crash. So I can't use it at all. It's currently useless.

I'm seriously thinking of downloading the beta 8 maybe it helps.

It might. I saw some crashes on my older late 2008 MBP with 7.5, not seeing any on either 7.5 or 8 beta on my newer rMBP.

righteye

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
London
Mavericks and Epson r2400 printer has anyone used this combo? have not upgraded since SL because of printer/scanner concerns.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.