Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joewhite89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I'm not sure if this can be done, but I'd like to be able to back up data on my Mac using Time Machine over a local wireless network, rather than using the conventional wired USB connection. Is this possible? Or is a trip to the Apple Store for a Time Capsule in the cards ...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I'm not sure if this can be done, but I'd like to be able to back up data on my Mac using Time Machine over a local wireless network, rather than using the conventional wired USB connection. Is this possible? Or is a trip to the Apple Store for a Time Capsule in the cards ...
You can safely use USB drive connected to a Mac that runs OS X Server with activated TimeMachine service. Or to a TimeCapsule. Based on Apple's info, TimeMachine backups are now also supported to the USB drive connected to the latest AirPort Extreme (the tower model).
Otherwise you are simply looking for troubles along the road:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1627019/

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
For reliability and ease of setup you want an apple approved device to connect the backup drive to. That is either a time capsule, another mac, or an AEBS. The time capsule has internal drive, so its most convenient.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.