Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

truelies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Nexus 7 has two speakers, it's good for music &video. New mini only has one.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Nexus 7 has two speakers, it's good for music &video. New mini only has one.

I own an iPad mini and it has 2 speakers (left and right stereo)

smart_gallery_white_cover_blue.jpg

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
I own an iPad mini and it has 2 speakers (left and right stereo)

On the spec sheet (and labelled picture) of the new Mini, it just says "Built In Speaker", and points to one of the two sets of holes. Same for the full sized iPads. On the old Mini, it says "Built In Speakers", and points to both sets of holes.

Clint

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
strange cause mine are very good

No, it's not. You just don't notice how crappy they are. I have two new Nexus 7s, and both of them have awful sound at low volume levels. You can hear static/electrical buzzing the entire time any sound is playing.

Can't wait to replace them with iPads again. Not really sure what I was thinking... Oh yeah... high resolution is what got me, when the mini was stuck at 1024x768.

Not for much longer, though...

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
On the spec sheet (and labelled picture) of the new Mini, it just says "Built In Speaker", and points to one of the two sets of holes. Same for the full sized iPads. On the old Mini, it says "Built In Speakers", and points to both sets of holes.

Clint
This deserves further investigation.

I think we've been downgraded back to mono.

iPad Mini
bRxI80E.png

iPad Mini Retina

WiBTB6L.png

Remember, Keynote said, brought dual microphones, where is the second microphone? In the other speaker bay like with the iPhone!... doh!

----------

The Mic is on top just like in the old iPad mini. This is an iPad, not iPhone, of what use would a mic have at the bottom?

Where is the second microphone!?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

iPad Mini

iPad Mini Retina

Remember, Keynote said, brought dual microphones, where is the second microphone? In the other speaker bay like with the iPhone!... doh!

Yep, looks that way. Well that sucks. Sound was already the weakest link on the iPads with that crappy rear-facing single speaker. Not really a step back for the full-size iPad since it's always been mono, but definitely a step back for the Retina mini.

Unless somehow both mics are in the same place at the top, but surely that would defeat the purpose of the noise cancellation feature..

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida

iPad Mini

iPad Mini Retina

----------

Where is the second microphone!?

Shown below

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 1.15.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 1.15.49 PM.png
    59.9 KB · Views: 182
  • Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 1.17.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 1.17.30 PM.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 157

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
No, it's not. You just don't notice how crappy they are. I have two new Nexus 7s, and both of them have awful sound at low volume levels. You can hear static/electrical buzzing the entire time any sound is playing.

Can't wait to replace them with iPads again. Not really sure what I was thinking... Oh yeah... high resolution is what got me, when the mini was stuck at 1024x768.

Not for much longer, though...

maybe its because i dont use them at low volume. i prefer to be able to hear them. thats the whole purpose of speakers :p

just tested and no buzzing at low volume

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
I love everything about my Nexus 7. It's a wonderful device to hold and use. I only use it for web browsing and mail mostly though. I don't care for most Android apps. If I want to do something productive, I use my iPad. I think when the new models come out, I'm selling my 2 iPads and my N7 and just using 1 tablet. If the Air feels anything like my Nexus 10 did, I'll be in heaven lol.

ufwa

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2011
Perhaps the speaker/speakers part is simply an oversight.

But it does seem odd.

If you look the iPad air, it has the same labeled graphics, pointing to only one of the grilles but the text says "built in speakers"

In the typed up description under "input/output" its also says "speakers"

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Not mono. If the iPad 4 has two speakers, so does the iPad 5. Apple would not do this to us (?) and this was just an oversight. Someone call Tim Cook and tell him ;)

Edited for mistake. Only one speaker. whoops

Last edited:

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Not mono. If the iPad 4 has two speakers, so does the iPad 5. Apple would not do this to us (?) and this was just an oversight. Someone call Tim Cook and tell him ;)

Original iPad, iPad 2/3/4 have only 1 speaker (mono)
iPad Air, iPad mini and retina iPad mini have stereo (left,right) speakers.

ipad4-teardown-2.jpg

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Even if the holes are both speakers, what good is it when you hold the iPad in landscape (more likely position for videos)? Sound will still be coming out of one side.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Even if the holes are both speakers, what good is it when you hold the iPad in landscape (more likely position for videos)? Sound will still be coming out of one side.

What if I'm web browsing in portrait and I decide to play music or a podcast while I do that, what good is it to have a speaker at the bottom and top?

I think just to please everyone Apple should place a speaker on all 4 sides and call it surround sound.

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
Perhaps the speaker/speakers part is simply an oversight.

But it does seem odd.

If you look the iPad air, it has the same labeled graphics, pointing to only one of the grilles but the text says "built in speakers"

In the typed up description under "input/output" its also says "speakers"

http://www.apple.com/ipad-air/specs/ - only has "speaker", never "speakers"

Edit... But I see the "store" specs say speakers, even though the picture only points to one. Strange!

Clint

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.