Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 24, 2013, 01:44 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Offering 'Free' Updates to All Owners of Aperture, iWork, and iLife; Not Worried About Unethical Users

As part of its efforts to ensure that all eligible software owners are able to upgrade to the latest versions of its software on the Mac App Store, Apple is intentionally allowing users with any version of Aperture, iLife and iWork installed on their system to upgrade to the latest versions on the Mac App Store -- even illegally acquired or trial versions.

In order to ensure that no legitimate software owners are left behind, according to MacTrast, Apple has eliminated its legacy software update mechanism entirely and is instead pushing all software updates onto the Mac App Store.

According to a MacTrast source at Apple:
Quote:
It's no coincidence that Apple's support site doesn't have downloads for the new Aperture, iWork, and iLife updates. They aren't in our Software Update system either - and there's a good reason for that. With Mavericks, we have changed the way we distribute updates for legacy versions of our apps

Rather than maintain separate updates for these in addition to the Mac App Store versions of each app, Apple has decided to eliminate their legacy software update system for apps entirely. Instead, when Mavericks discovers legacy apps installed on your Mac, it provisions them as a Mac App Store purchase using your Apple ID. It saves us a lot of time, effort, and bandwidth. After the provision is complete, it will appear in your Mac App Store history as though you have purchased the Mac App Store version of the app.

While we are aware that this enables piracy of our apps for unethical users, Apple has never taken a strong stance or action against piracy in the past. We like to believe that our users are honest, even if that belief is in vain.
When the new apps were released on the Mac App Store, many users with legitimate copies were unable to upgrade to the latest versions, though many users who were having difficulties seem to be able to upgrade now.

As a result of Apple's changes, all users with older versions of Aperture, iWork or iLife installed -- even if acquired through less-than-ethical means -- should be able to upgrade to the latest versions through the Mac App Store.

Article Link: Apple Offering 'Free' Updates to All Owners of Aperture, iWork, and iLife; Not Worried About Unethical Users
MacRumors is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 01:46 PM   #2
Virtualball
macrumors 6502

Quote:
We like to believe that our users are honest, even if that belief is in vain.
Damn. A+ for Apple!
Virtualball is offline   109 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 01:46 PM   #3
Klae17
macrumors 6502a

Free software to sell the sexy hardware. I'm liking this entire week.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 01:47 PM   #4
djtech42
macrumors 65816

Thumbs up for Apple!
Old Oct 24, 2013, 01:48 PM   #5
bikemonkey

Seriously, that's a cool move.

Maybe I'm naive, but if certain corporations didn't treat their customers with such disdain perhaps they would see less piracy (but that is not to say they have to give their products away)...
  25 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 01:48 PM   #6
BeyondtheTech
macrumors 65816

Unlike Microsoft, where all customers are treated as criminals.
BeyondtheTech is offline   100 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 01:48 PM   #7
pixelpro
macrumors member

I was trying to buy iPhoto yesterday, and was positively surprised that it let me download it for free. Happy customer!!
pixelpro is offline   26 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 01:48 PM   #8
orbital~debris
macrumors regular

Thoroughly impressed by Apple's stance on this issue.
orbital~debris is offline   28 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 01:48 PM   #9
singhjeet29
macrumors regular

GoodGuyApple.jpg
singhjeet29 is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 01:48 PM   #10
flounder021
macrumors member

"It's more fun to be a pirate than to join the navy."
flounder021 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 01:48 PM   #11
jmgregory1
macrumors 6502a

Great - this should help speed up my credit for rushing to update and paying for something I should not have had to do. And no, I was not using stolen software. It was the store bought iWork pack I started with and have had issues since then updating.

I've already gotten one response back from a MAS rep, but that was just to let me know he was working on it.
jmgregory1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 01:49 PM   #12
johncrab
macrumors 6502

Apple can see the sense in keeping users up to date. It means fewer resources needed to supper multiple aging versions and eventually having to push grumbling users into buying new versions...as another company does. It took that other company a full day and a half to come out saying that free is bad. I knew they would but this time it was a direct statement and not dribbled out through their media minions.
johncrab is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 01:49 PM   #13
waveboreale
macrumors member

I managed to upgrade my old versions of Page, Numbers, Keynote, iPhoto, iMovie, Garageband and aperture for free

Thanks Apple !
32GB White iPad Air Cellular
waveboreale is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 01:49 PM   #14
britboyj
macrumors 6502

Good. Can we stop people from making Powerpoint presentations that look like a middle schooler made them and have people start using Keynote now please?
Old Oct 24, 2013, 01:49 PM   #15
miniroll32
macrumors 6502a

If we're to believe Microsoft, all these "efforts" are because Apple's software cannot be taken seriously. It doesn't allow people to be productive, and is priced as such.

Yet the last time I checked, Microsoft didn't even produce a DAW like Garageband. Lol...
miniroll32 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 01:50 PM   #16
FreeState
macrumors 68000

Hopefully they tell their customer service reps this - I just receive an email from them saying I was not eligible for an upgrade or a refund (I purchased them when I thought I was not eligible).

Apples online customer service has been awful for me the last couple times I have used it.
FreeState is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 01:50 PM   #17
merkava
macrumors member

I see all the updates but I'm still getting the same error:

Quote:
Update Unavailable with This Apple ID
merkava is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 01:50 PM   #18
marku5
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to marku5
RULES.
marku5 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 01:50 PM   #19
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Allowing unethically obtained software intentionally downloaded from users is a bit extreme.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 01:51 PM   #20
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

I'm not ashamed to say that I did this with Aperture Trial ,
you can't download it from apple site anymore. and I can upgrade it to the latest version.

good guy Apple.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 01:51 PM   #21
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheTech View Post
So true. Their 'activation' process is miserable.
ValSalva is offline   28 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 01:51 PM   #22
the8thark
macrumors 68040

This is proof a few unethical acquisitions are not worth the cost involved to police it properly. Apple was always easy on this front but now they are even easier. Also proof Apple's war chest is so large they don't know what to do with it.

I know this is the way via proof of how I upgraded even though I bought all the apps originally, the app store receipt system is being phased out. I didn't just blindly believe words someone supposedly has claimed Apple has said.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 01:52 PM   #23
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
Really liking the way Apple is doing things for free!
Old Oct 24, 2013, 01:52 PM   #24
magbarn
macrumors 6502a

This is why I left Microsoft. When I needed to call Microsoft's India call center to re-register my legal copies of Windows and Office to reinstall when my hard drive died was the last straw.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 01:53 PM   #25
Aldaris
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheTech View Post
Depends on the rep you talk to. Most didn't get the memo that it was a free update for all existing users.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion