Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gregor.hoch

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
Hi,
I have been trying to install the command line tools for 10.9 since yesterday but always run into the same error message. After running 'xcode-select --install' in the terminal and clicking install, I the installation starts but stops with the error "Can't install the software because it is not currently available from the Software Update server" after a moment.

XCode is installed and updated to 5.0.1

Any ideas? Thanks!

jeffzoom91

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2005
Florida
It's not in the list anymore.

Xcode Command Line tools now come with Xcode.

Easy test: On a fresh machine, open a terminal window and type 'git'. It asks you if you want to get Xcode. Then go install Xcode...now type 'git'...it works!

It's not a separate install anymore! Yay!

According to the terminal error though I think you can still install it separate to Xcode itself however.

gregor.hoch

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
Thanks for your suggestions! I have Xcode installed but the command line tools are not there. Rcpp complains that there is no compiler and when I type 'xcode-select --install', I am ask whether I want to install the command line tools. After clicking 'install', I get the error. So it's doesn't solve my problem...

omphaloskeptic

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2013
same issue

Same problem -- this happened when I deleted xcrun in an attempt to start over with a fresh copy of the command line utils after failing to build a Ruby gem due to a xcrun dependency. (OK, probably shouldn't have done that.) I'm getting the same error message, even though I've just reinstalled the latest XCode 5.0.1. Not sure how else to get a copy of xcrun, unless someone wants to post it here. The only thing I can think of now is to start over with a clean install of Mavericks, which I'd rather not do if I don't have to. Help!

AlwaysLearning1

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2014
As jeffzoom91 said, the XCode Command Line Tools come with XCode 5.0+.

Despite this Xcode reported the wrong path at the console:
Code:
$ xcode-select -p
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer

You can switch the path, though:
Code:
$ sudo xcode-select --switch /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools
Password:

After which you get the correct path:
Code:
$ xcode-select -p
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools

This was enough to make macports happy for something else I was trying to install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.