Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

feracuffz61

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Hey Everyone,

Just purchased a brand new Apple Mac Pro 12-Core Mid 2012

I purchased 4 - 8GB cards of RAM from Crucial:
2x 16GB kit (8GBx2) DDR3 PC3-10600 • CL=9 • Unbuffered • ECC • DDR3-1333 • 1.35V • 1024Meg x 72 • Part #: CT3309457

I received the computer with 6 - 2GB cards of RAM.
Size: 2 GB
Type: DDR3 ECC
Speed:1333 MHz
Manufacturer:0x80AD

My computer has 8 DIMM Memory Slots.

Is it wise to mix the 8GB and 2GB cards together?

Should I install my 4 - 8GB cards and leave 4 - 2GB cards or should I remove all of my 2GB cards from the computer?

Leaving all of the cards would obviously give the computer more memory, is this even necessary?

If I should give the computer the most memory possible, then is there a specific order the different sized cards should be placed into the DIMM slots?

The sales rep at the Apple store said it would be fine to mix them but I'd like a professional opinion.

Here are the specs to my Mac if needed:

Processor 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro5,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 2
Total Number of Cores: 12
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per Processor): 12 MB
Memory: 12 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 5.86 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MP51.007F.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.39f11
SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f11

Thank you in advance for your help! :)

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Should be fine in my 4,1 machine I have four of the 1gb sticks that came with it along with four 2gb sticks totaling 12gb it works without problems. When you upgrade the ram put the new 8gb sticks in the slots closest to you as you look at the tray with the machine open, those are the first slots in the machine ie. the closest to you is slot one then two... at the back slot four.

Edit: You want two of each size in the four slots available beside each processor.

JerryKeenehan

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2013
Philadelphia
MacPro 12Core Sequence of Memory Slots to Fill

DanielCoffey - Dan, regarding re-use of the original 2GB chips in the MacPro when upgrading memory with 8GB chips, you said add them as 8+8+2+2 in each processor memory tray "as you look at them". That would mean that in the second memory tray in the back on the left, I would be inserting them as 8, 8, 2 and 2 in slots 8, 7, 6, 5 respectively. It seems like they should be 8, 8, 2 and 2 in slots 5, 6, 7 and 8 logically. Just checking if you can comment on that before I make the change. I also see that there is a Memory Slot Utility that will allegedly advise me whether my configuration is optimal or not. Thank you for your post and any further advice you may offer. JerryK

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.