Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

red321red321

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2013
Will Apple ever add a micro SD slot to the iPad? It would make the tablet much more useful to be able to quickly and easily transfer files to it, without having to deal with cables or slow wifi file transfer. It would also make it easier to store lots of files on the tablet. Samsung does this with the Galaxy phones and tablets and it makes them very useful.

Ursadorable

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2013
The Frozen North
Not likely.

A look at the iPhone profit margins will tell you why.

It costs Apple $187 to make a 16GB iPhone 5.. and it costs them $209 to make a 64GB iPhone 5. That's a difference of $16 for what they charge $200 for. They want you to buy the bigger one so they can put more money in their pocket.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Given the effort they appear to have taken to greatly restrict the capabilities of the camera connection kit, I'd say they're not interested in adding off-board storage functionality like this.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
I looked this up a while ago. Adding an SD card would play havoc with iTunes syncing. Makes sense to me, but so does the profit motive behind charging an additional $300 for an iPad with enough storage to make it useful....

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
Never.

Never. Apple is trying to eliminate the concept of a file. Therefore they have no interest in making file transfers easy.

What Apple wants is a computing ecosystem where your "stuff" is out there somewhere, and which you can can easily get from within whatever app you used to create that "stuff", and from whatever Apple device you're currently using.

You think of your stuff as files that you can manipulate (copy, move, duplicate, open) using an operating system and a file manager. But Apple wants to kill that as it adds a layer of learning needed.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Samsung does this with the Galaxy phones and tablets and it makes them very useful.

You must not own a Samsung Galaxy product. I have an S4 and the micro SD card is next to useless. You can't store Apps, music or movies/TV shows it. You can only use it for camera pictures and camera videos.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Not likely.

A look at the iPhone profit margins will tell you why.

It costs Apple $187 to make a 16GB iPhone 5.. and it costs them $209 to make a 64GB iPhone 5. That's a difference of $16 for what they charge $200 for. They want you to buy the bigger one so they can put more money in their pocket.

"They" (Apple) don't charge $200 (or $300) for it, the cell carriers do. Apple gets paid a lot more than $200. The cell carriers subsidize the full amount of the phone. When YOU pay $650 for the unsubsidized phone (no carrier contract) that's close to the real amount Apple gets in the end (less the carrier's wholesale discount). Don't think for a second Apple ONLY gets $200 when you buy a phone with service. The CARRIER pays the difference between the $200 you pay and their wholesale cost of the phone that Apple charges (whatever that is, but substantially MORE than $200).

red321red321

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2013
You must not own a Samsung Galaxy product. I have an S4 and the micro SD card is next to useless. You can't store Apps, music or movies/TV shows it. You can only use it for camera pictures and camera videos.

Actually I own a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and a Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet. The micro SD slot is extremely useful. You can plug it into your computer and copy pictures, movies, files to it and access them from your device. You can tell the camera to store pictures there. You can also set apps to use the micro SD space as storage instead of built-in device storage. It really adds a lot of flexibility to the device.

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
"They" (Apple) don't charge $200 (or $300) for it, the cell carriers do. Apple gets paid a lot more than $200. The cell carriers subsidize the full amount of the phone. When YOU pay $650 for the unsubsidized phone (no carrier contract) that's close to the real amount Apple gets in the end (less the carrier's wholesale discount). Don't think for a second Apple ONLY gets $200 when you buy a phone with service. The CARRIER pays the difference between the $200 you pay and their wholesale cost of the phone that Apple charges (whatever that is, but substantially MORE than $200).

He's saying $200 more from one storage size to another, not subsidized device cost through a carrier.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Never. Apple is trying to eliminate the concept of a file. Therefore they have no interest in making file transfers easy.

Well stated. Apple's thrust with iOS is a whole different paradigm, one that doesn't include messing with a filesystem. One implication is you're not going to see removable storage on an iOS device.

Put your stuff on iCloud or dropbox or similar.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I really hope not, that is old technology.

Just thinking about having some hinge or something gives me the creeps.

No thank you.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

That's wrong, you can absolutely store media like TV shows, movies and music. And I understand app support is coming back in a future version of Android OS.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY

What Apple wants is a computing ecosystem where your "stuff" is out there somewhere, and which you can can easily get from within whatever app you used to create that "stuff", and from whatever Apple device you're currently using.

You think of your stuff as files that you can manipulate (copy, move, duplicate, open) using an operating system and a file manager. But Apple wants to kill that as it adds a layer of learning needed.

A layer of learning? to copy and move a few files? I understand that many users are very casual and dont want to deal with the inner workings of a file system but lets not go overboard!

To answer the OP - Nope. No sd cards, USBs or any of that. Apple doesnt play that way and it is what it is.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
I doubt it, but if they ever will, they will do it the possibly impending iPad Pro announcement. But, if that product never happens then absolutely not. They want you to use cloud management for files and I don't see that changing.

surma884

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
They probably never will. What irritates me is that the entry level is still at 16GB. With the amount of apps and the 1080p HD videos/pics it fills up pretty fast. I do not see how it will hurt them to drop the 16GB and up the storage configs to 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.