Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Oct 24, 2013, 05:31 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Tapbots Launches Tweetbot 3 with iOS 7 Redesign

Tapbots today launched Tweetbot 3, which is a paid upgrade to its existing Tweetbot for iOS application. The app has been completely redesigned for iOS 7, incorporating a new look, new gestures, and new animations.

As with most apps designed for iOS 7, Tweetbot has taken on a simpler design that includes ample amounts of white space, with new round avatar photos. Though Tweetbot continues to offer many of the same features like muting and iCloud DMs, the app has an entirely new feel due to its revamped gestures and animations. Tapping on a Tweet to open the options drawer now works faster, and swipe gestures, which previously opened Tweet details and conversations have been simplified.

Quote:
- Completely redesigned from the ground up for iOS7. ?
- Native Push Notifications. ?
- Mute filters lets you block messages from users without unfollowing them. Mute services, hashtags, people, and even keywords (regex included).?
- Sync timeline position, direct message read statuses and mute filters between iPhone, iPad, and the Mac via iCloud or Tweetmarker. ?
- Customizable Navigation. The last 2 tabs are customizable and unused tabs are easily accessible. ?
- Support for multiple services like Pocket, Instapaper, Readability, CloudApp, Droplr, and more. ?
- Save drafts, add locations and POI's, attach photos/videos, manage your lists, and much more.
Because Tapbots is allotted a limited number of tokens by Twitter, the company has decided to make Tweetbot 3 a paid upgrade. Both new and existing users will need to pay $2.99 to purchase the app, but pricing will be increased to $4.99 after an introductory period. A revamped Tweetbot for the iPad is still in the works, and the existing Tweetbot app has been removed from the App Store.

Tweetbot 3 can be downloaded from the App Store for $2.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Tapbots Launches Tweetbot 3 with iOS 7 Redesign
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 05:32 PM   #2
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816

Loving the new version so far, it's beautiful.

Just wish it had a full screen mode.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 05:33 PM   #3
larrylaffer
macrumors regular

Second for companies screwing their customers.

inb4 "paid upgrades are ok".
larrylaffer is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 05:36 PM   #4
nfl46
macrumors 68040

Lol. Ok, I feel like an idiot, I kept clicking on updates thinking it was a FREE upgrade when I saw it posted on Twitter. Smh! But, I'll pass, though. The current version works fine for me.
nfl46 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 05:36 PM   #5
schizbomb
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylaffer View Post
Second for companies screwing their customers.

inb4 "paid upgrades are ok".
Smh

The new update is nice!
schizbomb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 05:36 PM   #6
nickpro
macrumors regular

if you're at all "outraged" by this you know nothing about Tapbots and should probably do some research before getting your panties in a bunch. needless to say i'm not in the least bit surprised and am clicking over to the App Store right after this post to purchase TB3 - congrats to Tapbots on the release and I look forward to the new version of Calcbot!!

P.S. Tweetie 2 = Tweetbot 3
nickpro is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 05:37 PM   #7
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Thank goodness, accidentally pressing "Timeline" (when scrolling to the top) no longer does anything. Best new feature.

Not sure if I am fond of the iOS 7-style circle avatars. Other than that, very nice.
Cougarcat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 05:37 PM   #8
Corrode
macrumors 6502

I was wondering why it was taking them so long to update to the new APIs. Hope their URL redirecting is faster now.
Corrode is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 05:38 PM   #9
dannys1
macrumors 6502

Tweetbot has bought me a lot of joy in use since getting it for iOS5 - its earnt its spot on my iPhone dock, so I guess they deserve an extra couple of dollars from me.

I do wish they'd do an iOS7 update for calcbot though, I've actually gone back to the stock calculator now, but I loved the ticker options on that.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 05:38 PM   #10
Chytin
macrumors newbie

loving it as well, but indeed full screen mode, just like the new Safari on iOS 7, would be great. hope they built this in in the next update or make it optional.
Chytin is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 05:38 PM   #11
yanksrock100
macrumors 6502

I wish apps didn't charge for an update. I understand games charging for an update, but apps like this? Alien Blue, a reddit app, was a one time buy. It is fully supported by a great dev. I wish more companies did that.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 05:38 PM   #12
starflyer
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to starflyer
Purchased. Love Tweetbot!
starflyer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 05:39 PM   #13
Paradoxally
macrumors 6502

I'll try a "cracked" version before deciding to pay for it again. When devs force you to pay twice for the same app (aka the older version is still functional), you gotta wonder if the upgrade is really that worth it. That being said, it probably is, but I'm not paying head-first. I've been with echofon for a while now and if tweetbot 3 fails to convince me (unlikely), I'll just stay on that.
Paradoxally is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 05:40 PM   #14
musika
macrumors 65816

I actually think the official Twitter app looks better and I switched a while ago. However, I'm sure I'll buy Tweetbot 3 to try it out. I really like some of the little UI effects they through in (like the screen moving in, that is original).
Old Oct 24, 2013, 05:40 PM   #15
Bathplug
macrumors 6502a

Paid redesign? No thanks. Plus its too white the old one looks better imo.
Bathplug is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 05:41 PM   #16
StickerBox
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksrock100 View Post
I wish apps didn't charge for an update. I understand games charging for an update, but apps like this? Alien Blue, a reddit app, was a one time buy. It is fully supported by a great dev. I wish more companies did that.
So you expect to pay $3 one time and get free updates for life? This is their job. The one bad thing that apps brought about is this idiotic assumption that you pay someone who has done months of hard-work the same cost of 3 cheeseburgers, and expect free support and updates forever. Go away.
StickerBox is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 05:43 PM   #17
Mwongozi
macrumors member

Read the article before bitching about the paid upgrade. It's the same reason that the OS X app is expensive - Twitter impose stupidly strict limits on how many users third party clients can have. If the app was free, that limit would be hit very quickly indeed.

Twitter should be the recipient of your ire, not Tapbots.
Mwongozi is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 05:44 PM   #18
Paradoxally
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathplug View Post
Paid redesign? No thanks. Plus its too white the old one looks better imo.
It better have a dark theme, I hate white when using twitter (exactly why I use echofon)
Paradoxally is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 05:44 PM   #19
DribbleCastle
macrumors regular

Wooohoo!

One of my favorite apps for iOS and Mac. Love supporting this group and will gladly pay them an extra $3 for there great products.

If it wasn't for twitters stance on third parties we probably wouldn't have to pay.
DribbleCastle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 05:44 PM   #20
ck2875
macrumors regular

I have no issues throwing $3 their way. If they ask for another $20 for the Mac desktop version, then I'll have a change of heart.
ck2875 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 05:44 PM   #21
Farplaner
macrumors regular

I wish if they really did redesign the app from the ground up, that they would do a universal app.

I have no problem paying for updates for great apps (paid for Reeder 2), so I'll pay for this. I can't help but feel a bit disappointed to see an iphone only app though.
Farplaner is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 05:45 PM   #22
creanium
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradoxally View Post
I'll try a "cracked" version before deciding to pay for it again. When devs force you to pay twice for the same app (aka the older version is still functional), you gotta wonder if the upgrade is really that worth it. That being said, it probably is, but I'm not paying head-first. I've been with echofon for a while now and if tweetbot 3 fails to convince me (unlikely), I'll just stay on that.
You're just the worst.
creanium is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 05:45 PM   #23
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwongozi View Post
Read the article before bitching about the paid upgrade. It's the same reason that the OS X app is expensive - Twitter impose stupidly strict limits on how many users third party clients can have. If the app was free, that limit would be hit very quickly indeed.

People are (stupidly) complaining that the update is not free, not that the app is not free.
Cougarcat is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 05:45 PM   #24
Paradoxally
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwongozi View Post

Tapbots have always been using a paid model for their apps. I understand they gotta have an upgrade to their app which is paid and I think they'll lose some customers and gain others so probably not an issue.
Paradoxally is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 05:46 PM   #25
Chundles
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksrock100 View Post
It's not an update, it's been completely re-written.

That requires work, lots of it. Lots of work requires lots of time which costs money.

People have to get paid.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion