Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 24, 2013, 07:42 PM   #1
RDAR
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Should I buy a 128GB iPad 4 at $549 or wait for 64GB iPad Air at $699

There's an open box item at my local future shop. 128GB iPad 4 for $549 normally $799. They said it was bought and returned the next day and nothing wrong with it. So I'm wondering why that much of a drop in price? Is it cause of the Air coming out? Is there that much of a difference in the A7 compared to A6X? I asked them to hold it for me and right now I'm leaning towards getting it rather than the Air. If I was to get the Air it would be the 64GB cause $799 is too much But I'd love to have the extra space that the 4 would come with. But would this new chip in the Air be worth it?
RDAR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 07:58 PM   #2
VinoGrande
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
If the difference in weight isn't a big deal to you, definitely get the iPad 4. There's a fair difference between the A6x and the A7, but unless you're using intense apps like GarageBand or Infinity Blade, you'll never notice.
VinoGrande is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 08:13 PM   #3
ZBoater
macrumors 604
 
ZBoater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sunny Florida
I would save up and buy the Air. I've always ended up regretting buying old tech to save a few bucks....
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air 2 | MacBook Air | Thunderbolt Display | Apple TV | Time Capsule
ZBoater is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 08:47 PM   #4
Klae17
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDAR View Post
There's an open box item at my local future shop. 128GB iPad 4 for $549 normally $799. They said it was bought and returned the next day and nothing wrong with it. So I'm wondering why that much of a drop in price? Is it cause of the Air coming out? Is there that much of a difference in the A7 compared to A6X? I asked them to hold it for me and right now I'm leaning towards getting it rather than the Air. If I was to get the Air it would be the 64GB cause $799 is too much But I'd love to have the extra space that the 4 would come with. But would this new chip in the Air be worth it?
That's a toughie! For $799 you can get a MBA refurb! Just a comparison not a recommendation. For what you get in the 4, you will be saving a lot and can use it to get more accessories! What will you be using the ipad for?
Klae17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 08:57 PM   #5
betabeta
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
I have never done well buying older technology to save money, if your just going to use this for a year and get a new one next year, than Yeah jump on the discounted 4.

But if you are going to keep this longer term, you may be disappointed down the road, the new chip is pretty impressive, weight and size is your choice, but if you hold it a lot or need a case, the weight might come into play.

If you can, and really want it, get the 128gb air, $250 difference between an open box 4 (why is open box, you don't know so that is something to think about) and a brand new iPad air? I would save up and get the 128gb air.

The iPad air will always perform better than a 4 with iOS7, plus you get the m7 which I think is going to really come into play more and more.

Oh and we still don't know the memory size do we? might be more ram in the Air, thats worth waiting to find out.
betabeta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 09:21 PM   #6
FrankB1191
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
I have a 128GB iPad 4, with about 75GB of movies and music. It's fine, but is heavy. The movies are almost all large files, and the music is a large jazz library. A 64GB iPad would hold all the music and movies as long as some of the movie files were smaller.

When the rumors of a lighter iPad first appeared, thinner glass was what struck me most. My iPad Mini has very thin glass, and I could see the iPad Air flex quite a bit during Apple's drop video. I wonder how durable the new glass will be compared to the iPad 4, but my Mini held up well until I lost it (typing on my new Mini right now). The Mini's thinner glass almost feels like plastic, and that's something you can try right now at the local store. I didn't like it at first, but got used to it quickly.

An iPad 4 128GB is a very nice tablet, if you don't mind the weight. That's a good price for a tablet that came out in February of this year.....
FrankB1191 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:04 PM   #7
Aluminum213
macrumors 65816
 
Aluminum213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
I would save up and buy the Air. I've always ended up regretting buying old tech to save a few bucks....

This, and the A7 is much faster then A6x and iPad Air is 64 bit if you plan on keeping it for a couple years
Aluminum213 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2013, 09:43 AM   #8
sracer
macrumors 68000
 
sracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDAR View Post
There's an open box item at my local future shop. 128GB iPad 4 for $549 normally $799. They said it was bought and returned the next day and nothing wrong with it. So I'm wondering why that much of a drop in price? Is it cause of the Air coming out? Is there that much of a difference in the A7 compared to A6X? I asked them to hold it for me and right now I'm leaning towards getting it rather than the Air. If I was to get the Air it would be the 64GB cause $799 is too much But I'd love to have the extra space that the 4 would come with. But would this new chip in the Air be worth it?
If there is a full year warranty on it, and it is still at 6.1.3, then FOR ME it would be a no-brainer... 128GB iPad4 all the way. $250 cheaper AND double the space.

If the iPad4 already has 7.x on it, then give it a pass and go for the Air.
sracer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2013, 09:57 AM   #9
Chris1W
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
I've always ended up regretting buying old tech to save a few bucks....
I have this case of not regretting purchasing iPad 2 over iPad 3 (bought an iPad 2, and managing 100 iPad 3s / 24 iPad 2s at work)

hardly surprising, since iPad 3 is a failure, that damn thing is heavier, hotter, and took longer to charge, plus a lot of units came onto my hands are plagued with yellowing screen

got a 32GB iPad 2 for the price of 16GB iPad 3, turns out that even 32GB is barely enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer View Post
If the iPad4 already has 7.x on it, then give it a pass and go for the Air.
+1
Chris1W is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2013, 10:43 AM   #10
herdnerfer
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Saint louis, MO
While it's true the A7 is more powerful than the A6X, the only time you'd really see that power is with the high res graphics type games on the iPad. I personally don't play any of those so it wouldn't matter to me, the $150 savings would be well worth it.

I bought an open box iPad 3 not long after the iPad 4s came out for a great price and don't regret it a bit!
__________________
iPad Retina Mini Wifi 16gb, 2x iPad Mini Wifi 16gb, iPhone 5s 16gb T-Mobile, AppleTV 3rd Gen
herdnerfer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2013, 10:48 AM   #11
Russiaone
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB1191 View Post
I have a 128GB iPad 4, with about 75GB of movies and music. It's fine, but is heavy. The movies are almost all large files, and the music is a large jazz library. A 64GB iPad would hold all the music and movies as long as some of the movie files were smaller.

When the rumors of a lighter iPad first appeared, thinner glass was what struck me most. My iPad Mini has very thin glass, and I could see the iPad Air flex quite a bit during Apple's drop video. I wonder how durable the new glass will be compared to the iPad 4, but my Mini held up well until I lost it (typing on my new Mini right now). The Mini's thinner glass almost feels like plastic, and that's something you can try right now at the local store. I didn't like it at first, but got used to it quickly.

An iPad 4 128GB is a very nice tablet, if you don't mind the weight. That's a good price for a tablet that came out in February of this year.....
this guy has taste
__________________
Alohamora!
Russiaone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2013, 11:45 AM   #12
Cool Pup
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Send a message via AIM to Cool Pup
Never buy older tech unless you've been accustomed to doing so in the past and happy doing so. The difference in buying the models is not vast enough to justify buying down a generation. 64GB is more than enough for the iPad Air media content considering the iPad is still considered more of a streaming content device than a hard drive.

However, if you absolutely need every inch of the space of 128, then yes go with the 128. Otherwise, no way you need to downgrade. The weight will make a huge difference, I promise. The iPad 1-4 is nearly unusable for one handed use, I can assume the 1 pound device will make one handed browsing more fluid.

I would say most people on here are tech savvy enough and follow tech news at least semi-regularly, and I think once the newness of your iPad 4 comes down you'll wish you got the newer, slimmer, lighter model instead.
__________________
iPhones are not Nokia 3310s. Treat them better.

iPhone 6 | iPad Mini 2 | 2012 MacBook Air 13" | Retina iMac 5K
Cool Pup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2013, 11:49 AM   #13
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 65832
 
T'hain Esh Kelch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Denmark
Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
I am surprised almost none has asked what your needs are.

Do you need space for movies, music and apps, or do you need speed for gaming or video/music editing? As simple as that.
__________________
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
T'hain Esh Kelch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2013, 04:01 PM   #14
RDAR
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I caved in and bought it There giving me a 30 day window to return it so thats good. My gf is going to get the iPad Air 16GB, so I will be able to compare the two in terms of weight and form factor. As far as the 128GB storage and my usage, I don't really think I need it all. I have iTunes Match so all my music is on the cloud and accessible through my lte/wifi. I guess I'll just be putting TV Shows/Movies on it. I don't think I'll fill up the entire space but I just like knowing I have extra space if I need it and not regretting getting a lower capacity. As far as my main usage for the iPad, it'll prob be like my current ipad 2 being used for streaming sports through apple tv. I don't really play games on the iPad, got the PS4 preorderd for that I guess I just saw the price and reacted. But like I said, they're giving me a 30 day window to return. I thought futureshop was usually 14 days but I guess since its opened its different? I've been using it for a couple of hours now and nothing seems wrong it, basically brand new.
RDAR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:45 AM   #15
RGC1981
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
I sold my Ipad 3 with every intention of buying the Ipad Air. I have always upgraded my Iphone and Ipad in the passed. However, when I was looking at the Ipad Air at the apple store, I wasn't quite impressed by the Air compared to the Ipad 4. It still bugs me that apple is comparing the Air to the Ipad 2 instead of the Ipad 4. Yeah I knows, the Ipad Air is a tad faster, lighter ect.. but the Ipad 3 was no snail, let alone an Ipad 4.

After seeing the prices for the Ipad 4 on apple.com, I decided for the first time to go with the an older model (128GB) instead of the the new Ipad Air. I'm happy with my decision.

I just received tracking info from apple that my refurbished Ipad 4 is coming from Shiremoor, Great Britain.
RGC1981 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2013, 12:26 PM   #16
dannynjoni
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Photography!

I used to have the iPad 3 and used it mostly for photography. I eventually sold it mainly because it was pretty slow and because I never liked the wide bezel. I always wished for a thinner bezel and more speed so the Air was very intriguing and I have to say it has not disappointed in that regard.

The Air is ridiculously faster than the 3 was. It's so much more fun to import and edit photos! I couldn't recommend it more if you think you will use it for this purpose. It's paradise

That said, I now miss the wider bezel sometimes. When I hand the Air to someone else to view pics I have to be sure that they grab it from the edges or they will change the screen in some fashion or another. Come to think of it, this was still a problem with the 3 - just not as much.

Man, this thing is light and comfortable though.

I guess it just depends on you usage. I don't need 128GB on my tablet. In fact I only have 32GB with LTE to stay connected to the cloud (and Wifi of course). Personally, I would MUCH rather have this new design with it's power/performance, light weight and size over more storage but that's just me.

I am not a fan of the thinner glass touchscreen though. Feels kinda cheap and took some getting used to. The rest of the Air feels high quality.
dannynjoni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2013, 01:52 PM   #17
bevsb2
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDAR View Post
I caved in and bought it There giving me a 30 day window to return it so thats good. My gf is going to get the iPad Air 16GB, so I will be able to compare the two in terms of weight and form factor. As far as the 128GB storage and my usage, I don't really think I need it all. I have iTunes Match so all my music is on the cloud and accessible through my lte/wifi. I guess I'll just be putting TV Shows/Movies on it. I don't think I'll fill up the entire space but I just like knowing I have extra space if I need it and not regretting getting a lower capacity. As far as my main usage for the iPad, it'll prob be like my current ipad 2 being used for streaming sports through apple tv. I don't really play games on the iPad, got the PS4 preorderd for that I guess I just saw the price and reacted. But like I said, they're giving me a 30 day window to return. I thought futureshop was usually 14 days but I guess since its opened its different? I've been using it for a couple of hours now and nothing seems wrong it, basically brand new.
I think you'll be very happy with the iPad 4. I have the iPad 4 64GB and recently purchased the Air 64GB. Now that I have an Air with a good screen (after 4 tries) I'll probably let the iPad 4 go but with regret. It is solid, has a perfect screen and since I don't play garage band and infinity blade I really can't appreciate much difference in speed and my 4 works fine with iOS 7. The reason for choosing the Air over my 4 is simply that I prefer the weight and smaller size. My iPad 4 actually has a slightly better screen.
bevsb2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2013, 02:15 PM   #18
Donia330i
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Air!
__________________
iPhone 5s 32gb (Space Gray) | iPad Air 64gb(Space Gray) | Apple TV (2nd Gen)
Donia330i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2013, 10:07 AM   #19
DarwinOSX
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDAR View Post
There's an open box item at my local future shop. 128GB iPad 4 for $549 normally $799. They said it was bought and returned the next day and nothing wrong with it. So I'm wondering why that much of a drop in price? Is it cause of the Air coming out? Is there that much of a difference in the A7 compared to A6X? I asked them to hold it for me and right now I'm leaning towards getting it rather than the Air. If I was to get the Air it would be the 64GB cause $799 is too much But I'd love to have the extra space that the 4 would come with. But would this new chip in the Air be worth it?
There is no way I would go back to a previous iPad version.
__________________
Mac user since 1984.
DarwinOSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2013, 01:32 PM   #20
douflag
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
iPad Air all the way for me. Weight and size alone make the difference in cost worth it. It's incredibly light when you compare it to the previous generation. you could easily hold it with one hand for a long time or read holding it in bed without it falling on your face after while.
douflag is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All iPads: 64gb wifi ipad air or 64gb tmobile ipad mini with retina? 3rdiguy iPad 6 Nov 13, 2013 03:28 PM
All iPads: Should I buy an Ipad air with 32gb or 64gb? Alundra iPad 13 Nov 5, 2013 03:42 PM
iPad: iPad air 64GB 3G or iPad air 128GB wifi only - what's your gut telling you? jackofharts iPad 54 Nov 4, 2013 05:40 AM
iPad: 128GB iPad Air - Best Buy Krazy Bill iPad 14 Nov 3, 2013 09:36 AM
All iPads: Do I buy an iPad Air, or wait until next year for either an iPad Pro, or 2Gb of RAM? MartinAppleGuy iPad 74 Oct 31, 2013 12:12 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC