Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
I can find them the other way, ie: Mini Display port to HDMI but does anyone know of a link to one or or if it's even possible to take an HDMI output from a Windows laptop and feed it to a Thunderbolt Display?

Thanks.

LaazyEye

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
Probably not recommended - Max HDMI output is 1920x1200 resolution. TBD's are 2560x1440.

Regardless, there is something like this http://www.cablestogo.com/product/54179 I'm not sure why it is easy/cheap to go Displayport -> HDMI but not the other way around.

To put it simply, it's the way each was designed. Certain signals require extra, more expensive, and higher powered hardware to talk to each other which drives up the cost, while other signals can be passed passively without expensive hardware and little power.

iNewbie

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
Interesting.

I've been looking for something like this to connect my Retina MacBook Pro to an Apple LED Display using the HDMI port on the laptop. So I want to go HDMI out to the mini-displayport of the LED Display. I need to use the HDMI port because I already have 2 monitors connected to the Thunderbolt ports and I want to get 3 external going. Currently I have 2 external and then the laptop screen itself.

think this will work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.