Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brian Kendig

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Last night I got a brand-new Retina MBP 15" Haswell 2.3GHz. Tonight I'm trying to set up Windows 8 Pro (from a full-version DVD on a USB SuperDrive) in Boot Camp in a 128GB partition. I enter my Windows key, the installer spends a few minutes getting to 100%, then it says:

"Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed."

I'm not the only person encountering this; see "https://discussions.apple.com/message/23509593".

Has anyone been able to successfully install Windows 8 on a Haswell MacBook Pro?

Last edited:

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
That sounds like you booted the Windows dvd in EFI mode. I don't think EFI mode is supported in Bootcamp (except maybe on the new MBA).
If you hold Alt and boot do you get 2 boot options for the Windows dvd?
One may be Wininstall, which will be non-EFI

Brian Kendig

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Wait, one of you is saying that EFI mode isn't supported, the other is saying I need to use EFI mode. I'm confused. :)

In one of my attempts I did boot from the DVD after holding down the option key, but then I let the Windows installer format the partition. So I have to not let it do that, I have to format it as NTFS in Disk Utility? And which of the two DVD icons ("Windows" or "EFI Boot") should I boot from after holding down Option?

Last edited:

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
According to posts in the Apple Support Community Bootcamp is currently broken for some of the new Haswell range. I'd wait to see if things improve with an update.
As far as I'm aware only the 2013 MacBook Air can install Windows in EFI mode.
Unless the new Haswells have the same BootCamp setup and/or firmware as that MBA you will need to install Windows in bios mode (using the "Windows" titled entry in the Alt + boot menu).

However, personally I would await further developments.

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
hi all.. just got my 13" Haswell rMBP. after reading through that Apple forum thread.. am i correct in saying that this user's steps are what some have accepted as the best procedure to install a fresh new copy of Windows 8.1 via Bootcamp?

1. setup and update mavericks and reboot
2. open boot camp assistant and only check the lower 2 options
3. insert a usb flash drive (for boot camp driver install
4. plug in a usb dvd drive with a retail copy of windows 8 or 8 professional
5 select how big you want your partition. I recommend at least 80gb but just a suggestion based on needs.
6 when its done creating the windows boot camp usb eject the usb drive before you allow it to restart to install windows.
7. when it is at the install screen you will see a message saying that partition 0s4 is unable to install windows. highlight that windows partition and click delete then highlight it and select format.
8 click next to proceed with install
9 when in win 8 run the boot camp installer and all windows 8 updates. restart
10 go to the windows store and select the windows 8.1 update and click install
11 after a restart you are at 8.1 Done. Enjoy.

also.. what's the concensus with the EFI vs BIOS installation? from my understanding.. the normal Bootcamp installation is done via BIOS and not EFI? and that EFI installation is considered unsupported and doesn't really have any advantages besides a slightly quicker bootup time?

thanks

ekiro

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2013
I heard my brother complain about this issue today. Not sure what to say. It isn't going to be an issue with your CPU but display instead.

Windows looks super small on that high-res display. Frustrating.

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
I think the wiser move would be to await Apple's fix for these problems.

EFI installation of Windows is unsupported by Apple, yes. (Except, it seems, for the 2013 MBA, for some reason).

It has other advantages than slightly quicker booting. The main advantage being that you don't have to worry about exceeding the (Bootcamp-created) hybrid mbr's 4 partition limit or mismatched mbr and gpt partition data.

Other advantages being that you can change the partitions at will - unlike once you have created a Bootcamp partition (and its hybrid mbr).

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I think the wiser move would be to await Apple's fix for these problems.

EFI installation of Windows is unsupported by Apple, yes. (Except, it seems, for the 2013 MBA, for some reason).

It has other advantages than slightly quicker booting. The main advantage being that you don't have to worry about exceeding the (Bootcamp-created) hybrid mbr's 4 partition limit or mismatched mbr and gpt partition data.

Other advantages being that you can change the partitions at will - unlike once you have created a Bootcamp partition (and its hybrid mbr).

Apple is probably going to take a couple of months to fix anything with Boot Camp, judging from history.

At this point, they should support pure EFI boot and installation of Windows and get rid of the older BIOS emulation.

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
Apple is probably going to take a couple of months to fix anything with Boot Camp, judging from history.

At this point, they should support pure EFI boot and installation of Windows and get rid of the older BIOS emulation.

Agree and 100% agree! This hybrid mbr nonsense is like working with your feet in mud! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.