Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
I bought the 5s yesterday going to send in the 5 for a trade in

both are on the latest ios system (updated last night)

but why is it that the siri on my brand new 5s sounds incredibly robotic? i went to general settings and i made sure i downloaded enhanced quality . so thats not the problem

also the two siris say completely different things. for example

i asked the iphone 5 as a test "how are you doing today?"

and siri( on the 5) replied " i'm fine! thanks for asking! " in a very human like voice

i asked the same question to the iphone 5s and siri (on the 5s) replied "i am well."

its like this for everything the siri on the 5 goes into much more elaborate detail and sounds much more human like

whats going on?

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2012
Because Siri on the iphone 5 is already 1 year old, and it is wiser than the newborn iphone 5s.

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
Siri has different responses.. if you ask siri on your old iphone 5 the same question 10 times... you will more than likely get couple of different responses but generally the same answer..

and yes, I have been told that Siri will gradually "learn" as time goes by and the more you use it.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Did you update to 7.0.3? That fixes voice issues w Siri.

Also, it sounds like just 2 answers. Have you tried just asking it again on the 5S?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
its like this for everything the siri on the 5 goes into much more elaborate detail and sounds much more human like

whats going on?
Already explained above. Siri has multiple answers for such questions and you're just assuming that the 5s is using shorter and less detailed examples on a poor sample selection of data.

Turrets + Sarcasm = very annoying Siri
Turrets would just be weird. Tourette syndrome on the other hand...

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Already explained above. Siri has multiple answers for such questions and you're just assuming that the 5s is using shorter and less detailed examples on a poor sample selection of data.

I asked the iphone 5 the same question ten times
All ten times it gave elaborate human like answers with inflections in the voice etc

I asked the iphone 5s the same question ten times and all ten times
It was short and most of all ROBOTIC

The Siri on the iphone 5s does not sound anything like the iphone 5 Siri
Clearly this is some kind of glitch

Nobody else has this issue? Or are people oblivious to the issue like the poster above ?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Actually, I noticed this today between my 3rd gen iPad and my iPhone 5s. Right now the 5s has the less refined "robotic" voice while the iPad 3 has better tone and inflection. A week ago the 5s had similar voice quality to the iPad.

What changed for me was that I had wiped and restored my 5s after an unlock.

Best guess is that it takes a while (a few days, a couple weeks maybe?) from a restore to get the "better" Siri voice.

ET3SW

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2011
TX
I asked the iphone 5 the same question ten times
All ten times it gave elaborate human like answers with inflections in the voice etc

I asked the iphone 5s the same question ten times and all ten times
It was short and most of all ROBOTIC

The Siri on the iphone 5s does not sound anything like the iphone 5 Siri
Clearly this is some kind of glitch

Nobody else has this issue? Or are people oblivious to the issue like the poster above ?

Check to make sure you have the enhanced sounds downloaded on the 5S.

Tap Settings > general >accessibility >voiceover > languages and dialects > U.S English > Enhanced Quality turned on

----------

Also if it is on already toggle it off and then on again

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Check to make sure you have the enhanced sounds downloaded on the 5S.

Tap Settings > general >accessibility >voiceover > languages and dialects > U.S English > Enhanced Quality turned on

----------

Also if it is on already toggle it off and then on again

That has nothing to do with Siri. Siri is all server side, that's why OP found that activating this made no difference. ;)

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
Turrets + Sarcasm = very annoying Siri

Siri has turrets? :O

towers-and-turrets.jpg

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
Siri on the iPhone 5s went to exclusive private schools, private riding lessons, has taken protocol classes from a retired officer of the British Diplomatic Corps, and attended a debutantes ball before going to an Ivy for undergrad before taking a gap year to slum around European hostels while living off of hashish and struppewaffel, and then back to Harvard Law before. Siri made partner at 24 because daddy is up for a peerage.

Siri on the iPhone 5c went to public school and then community college and has their dental hygienist certification. (HVAC Cert if you use the male voice). Siri got a weekend gig serving refreshments at the town's soccer fields because Mom used to date the head groundskeeper.

that is why Siri is "different".

;)

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
DYAC! Turrets.... Turrets....why does iOS think the correct spellings wrong? Tourette's ah, there we go.

AlexJaye

Suspended
Jul 13, 2010
Aside from some of these useless comments... I've noticed siri's voice changed when moving from my iPhone 4 to iPhone 5. It became more robotic and lighter. I don't like it as much really.

tok

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
Since updating to iOS 7.0.6 on my iPhone 5S, Siri's voice got much more robotic than before. It was very natural sounding before. I already tried to download the "Enhanced Quality" in the VoiceOver settings, but that made no difference in Siri's voice.

Anyone else with the same issue or with any suggestion on how to get it working?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.