Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac32

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
Hi,

I'm trying to install Windows 8.1 via Bootcamp on my newly Mavericks-upgraded late 2012 iMac. I get to Windows 8.1 installation setup, and after choosing the right partition I get "Can't install to partition etc...".

Anyone knows how to fix this? I made a bootable USB (Corsair 32gb USB3 stick) with Bootcamp, but doesn't work. I also used "Format" for the Bootcamp partition in the Windows 8.1 setup.

Any advice would be great, otherwise I'm enjoying Mavericks. :) OSX has become a very mature and stable OS, and most of the bad ideas from Lion have been removed.

Thanks!

Mac32

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
OK, I managed to install Windows 8.1. First I booted the EFI partition on the bootcamp USB memory stick, and formatted my Windows 8.1 partition again. Then I booted into the regular windows partition on the USB bootcamp memory stick, and installed Windows from there.

However, when I got into Windows, none of the Bootcamp drivers were installed. No bootcamp app is there either. What did I do wrong? Any other way to install the bootcamp drivers for my iMac late 2012 hardware?

First impression of Windows 8 btw., yuk! What a terribly contrived interface. Hopefully I can turn off/hide the tiles menu stuff.

Any good advice? Thanks!

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
Open the drive where you installed the Bootcamp drivers and navigate to the Bootcamp folder and click on setup.exe (in Windows). There may also be a separate driver for your graphics/sound in the winpedrivers folder, depending on your Mac's set up.

Mac32

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
Open the drive where you installed the Bootcamp drivers and navigate to the Bootcamp folder and click on setup.exe (in Windows). There may also be a separate driver for your graphics/sound in the winpedrivers folder, depending on your Mac's set up.

Thanks! :) I've found Windows 8.1 to be rather buggy. Random program crashes, memory read errors, USB errors etc... Makes me wonder if I should have stuck with Windows 7. :(

Last edited:

Mac32

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
Your nick is suspicious.
Don't waste our time criticizing windows here.
Grow up.

WTF? Are you serious?
Btw. I found most of my issues was related to the sleep function, which crashes the computer. I still can't use USB3 devices, they are not recognised by Windows 8.1. I can use them through a USB2 hub though, but obviously I only get USB2 speed.
Overall, after my initial scepticism I find Windows 8.1 to be a very nice operating system. The metro page does seem a bit tacked on, and doesn't really make a lot of sense unless you use a touch-based computer/tablet.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.