Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jinzen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
TouchWiz was awful and no Launcher could really replace a stock AOSP experience/smoothness.

Notifications never worked right, DashClock widget, NiLS, Widget Locker, Nova Launcher - good try but you can't beat the backwards beast that is 4.3 Jelly Bean.

Device was rooted and I disabled EVERYTHING Samsung/bloatware - still instantly filled my 2.38gb of available RAM (so much for 3GB RAM).

It's too bad the Nexus 5 isn't coming to Verizon, but it looks like I'm going another year with iOS.

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
TouchWiz was awful and no Launcher could really replace a stock AOSP experience/smoothness.

Notifications never worked right, DashClock widget, NiLS, Widget Locker, Nova Launcher - good try but you can't beat the backwards beast that is 4.3 Jelly Bean.

Device was rooted and I disabled EVERYTHING Samsung/bloatware - still instantly filled my 2.38gb of available RAM (so much for 3GB RAM).

It's too bad the Nexus 5 isn't coming to Verizon, but it looks like I'm going another year with iOS.

As an iphone user I don't care, but that sounds to me like someone is eager to start a flame war, eh?

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
He clearly did not like the expereince with the Note 3...Thats his opinion and it should really not trigger off any flame war...I am a IOS user (have been forever) yet love to use android whenever I get a chance...

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
could have just rooted Note 3 and put a custom ROM on it, like stock Jellybean.

Also, it's rumored to believe that KitKat will announce the Google Experience Launcher, an app which you can get from the Play Store. I would have stuck with the Note 3, but then again, can't go wrong with the 5S with it's A7 SoC. Too bad it has a small screen :(

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
You do what suits your needs..I could neve go back to iphone it has too many flaws but it's whatever works for you at the end of the day.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Notifications never worked right ? In what sense ? Could you elaborate. Many Note 3 users here with no issues with notifications.

Device was rooted ? So you messed around with it - how do you know that disabling some of the features did not cause further issues. Samsung allow you to disable / uninstalll many stock apps without needing to root. Simply click uninstall / disable in the menu option in the app drawer and hit on the samsung apps that you do not want.

Disabling things willy nilly in the app management or via rooting when Touchwiz is so embedded is at times asking for trouble, especially as you do not know how they programmed it and what apps work are needed / services etc.

I run a stack of apps and the most ram I've tapped out on is 1.8gb of ram use.

Also there is NO harm in using the available ram. That is what it is there for. Unusued ram is wasted ram for the most part. As long as the system functions correctly it will automatically kill any app / service in system ram as needed.

Deleting or disabling some of Samsung's core services may have pooped on that.

As for smoothness, I think everyone here knows the main cause of Samsung's Touchwiz is that the animations like folder opening / app animation are longwinded. Simply turning them off in the developer options, pretty much gives me the same experience as my stock android S4 GE & Nexus 7 speed wise.

----------

You do what suits your needs..I could neve go back to iphone it has too many flaws but it's whatever works for you at the end of the day.

Yep.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I use nils notification app..for me that's better than what I thought was so great on the iphone...notifications are great on it.

Jinzen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
I use nils notification app..for me that's better than what I thought was so great on the iphone...notifications are great on it.

NiLS works, except it blinks in and out and the animation refresh is choppy on Widget Locker.

If you don't use a stock screen replacement, you can't disable TouchWiz's stock SMS/Missed Call notifications, which sits on top of NiLS/DashClock.

If you use Widget Locker, expect lots of choppiness, lag and strange behavior depending on what apps request a screen unlock.

If you disable the stock Lockscreen (in order to use WidgetLocker), sometimes an active call won't even light up the display when the phone is on Vibrate or Silent.

The whole Android system is absolutely light years behind iOS when it comes to the way it handles notifications and lock screen capabilities.

----------

Notifications never worked right ? In what sense ? Could you elaborate. Many Note 3 users here with no issues with notifications.

Device was rooted ? So you messed around with it - how do you know that disabling some of the features did not cause further issues. Samsung allow you to disable / uninstalll many stock apps without needing to root. Simply click uninstall / disable in the menu option in the app drawer and hit on the samsung apps that you do not want.

Disabling things willy nilly in the app management or via rooting when Touchwiz is so embedded is at times asking for trouble, especially as you do not know how they programmed it and what apps work are needed / services etc.

I run a stack of apps and the most ram I've tapped out on is 1.8gb of ram use.

Also there is NO harm in using the available ram. That is what it is there for. Unusued ram is wasted ram for the most part. As long as the system functions correctly it will automatically kill any app / service in system ram as needed.

Deleting or disabling some of Samsung's core services may have pooped on that.

As for smoothness, I think everyone here knows the main cause of Samsung's Touchwiz is that the animations like folder opening / app animation are longwinded. Simply turning them off in the developer options, pretty much gives me the same experience as my stock android S4 GE & Nexus 7 speed wise.

----------

Yep.

Samsung doesn't allow you uninstall or disable most anything. After rooting, I froze probably 50 Apps (that are Samsung service related and other bloatware) that have nothing to do with core Android services.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
----------

[/COLOR]

Samsung doesn't allow you uninstall or disable most anything. After rooting, I froze probably 50 Apps (that are Samsung service related and other bloatware) that have nothing to do with core Android services.

Well I have been able to unistall / disable nearly all Samsung apps via the main unistall/disable options including svoice, shealth, Samsung hubs etc...

It's also ironic that you are complaining about this element and then go to iPhone iOS which is more locked down and with only 1gb ram will likely have less free memory than the Note 3 at any given point, and none of Apple's bloat apps can be removed or uninstalled either, and yet that's ok but on note 3 it isnt?

That reasoning just doesn't make sense to me.

Jinzen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Well I have been able to unistall / disable nearly all Samsung apps via the main unistall/disable options including svoice, shealth, Samsung hubs etc...

It's also ironic that you are complaining about this element and then go to iPhone iOS which is more locked down and with only 1gb ram will likely have less free memory than the Note 3 at any given point, and none of Apple's bloat apps can be removed or uninstalled either, and yet that's ok but on note 3 it isnt?

Apple's built in Apps are unintrusive and can put aside or disabled, and never run (like Stocks, Weather, Passbook etc).

Samsung's stuff is always there, like My Magazine which can't be disabled.

This is what Root is is for, for getting rid of bloatware.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
That still makes no sense. Your excusing the app behaviour on one device, and lambasting it on another ? It's the same thing on both ?

For example, how is putting Apple's stocks app aside in a folder on iOS any different to putting Samsung's Magazines app in a folder in Touchwiz any different.

In fact with touchwiz at least you can hide the app even if it can't be uninstalled.

:confused::confused::confused:

It's like the chewbacca defence all over again ?

It sounds to me like your argument boils down to....

On Note 3 I can root, I can disable bloat ware, I still don't like the fact that Android uses the memory my device has and I'd rather it didn't..... I just can't deal with it anymore I'm going to a device where I can only put the bloat in a folder and I have less ram at any given stage and still no proper multitasking anyway. But because I'm locked down on iOS I can accept that, but because Android gives me freedom to root and mess around I can't and therefore I must leave it for the locked down handset ...

It's just nonsensical argument ....

21360_Chewbacca_Defense_Wide.png

If you just said 'I prefer iOS and iPhone 5S' then great - that's a valid argument for yourself - but the position you have outlined just makes no sense whatsoever.

Last edited:

benfica88

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008

I too was hoping to like the Note 3 but it's comments like this that irk me. Even though that Note 3 has all this available RAM, there's no benefit. That 1GB of RAM on the iPhone will allow you to have more apps open than the 3GB on the Note. Believe me, this was one of the things that surprised me when I tried it. I could barely run the same amount of apps at one time on the Note as the iPhone. This to me is mind boggling. This is not the main reason I didn't like it but one of the many. I really, really, loved that gorgeous screen and truly did want to like the Note 3 but no go for me...

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
He may not have intentionally meant to but its inevitable it will happen.

Making threads like this is beyond pointless as they just get filled of pages upon pages of drivel of "Android is better, nooooooo, Apple is better!!!"

Its so freakin repetitive up in this place its nauseating.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
He may not have intentionally meant to but its inevitable it will happen.

Making threads like this is beyond pointless as they just get filled of pages upon pages of drivel of "Android is better, nooooooo, Apple is better!!!"

Its so freakin repetitive up in this place its nauseating.

Yep, what I find irksome is when folks are stating one thing over another as justification when essentially the two things are the same ? I mean personal preference is all normal we all have them whether its in our taste in clothes, food, drinks, and gadgets. So if I said I prefer this over someone else who prefers that - well that just normal subjective preferences. One device does not fit all.

cavaet.... But its when a poster suddenly pops up one of these kind of threads and then goes and explains their reasoning that doesn't really stand up to too much scrutiny - that I suspect the thread is actually just started to actually create a flame war in the first instance.

Otherwise, why start the thread in the first place ???? Thats where I question ?

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007

The Note 3 has a ton of features that come preloaded. It's a great phone, and the side effect of having those features is they consume ram, and CPU cycles. You can't have your cake and eat it to. iPhones are speedier with less ram because they don't have Smart Stay and such running in the back ground. Apples to oranges.

Jinzen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
That still makes no sense. Your excusing the app behaviour on one device, and lambasting it on another ? It's the same thing on both ?

For example, how is putting Apple's stocks app aside in a folder on iOS any different to putting Samsung's Magazines app in a folder in Touchwiz any different.

In fact with touchwiz at least you can hide the app even if it can't be uninstalled.

On Note 3 I can root, I can disable bloat ware, I still don't like the fact that Android uses the memory my device has and I'd rather it didn't..... I just can't deal with it anymore I'm going to a device where I can only put the bloat in a folder and I have less ram at any given stage and still no proper multitasking anyway. But because I'm locked down on iOS I can accept that, but because Android gives me freedom to root and mess around I can't and therefore I must leave it for the locked down handset ...

If you just said 'I prefer iOS and iPhone 5S' then great - that's a valid argument for yourself - but the position you have outlined just makes no sense whatsoever.

This isn't rocket science here...

- Apple's useless Apps do not take up resources.
- Samsung's stuff like MyMagazine DOES.

The "3 GB" of RAM is completely irrelevant. It might as well be 1GB equivalent based on the fact that I can run - Google Music, Chrome, Flipboard, Gmail, SMS, Phone and that's about it before it fills up 2.1GB of memory.

The other core functionality of the phone including notifications is completely screwed up and can't be properly rectified with Nova Launcher Prime, Widget Locker, NiLS etc. That's the main problem with the device (and Android - you have to spend $25 on apps just to get the basics right).

----------

The Note 3 has a ton of features that come preloaded. It's a great phone, and the side effect of having those features is they consume ram, and CPU cycles. You can't have your cake and eat it to. iPhones are speedier with less ram because they don't have Smart Stay and such running in the back ground. Apples to oranges.

Titanium froze and/or disabled all of those (S Pen features included). Still a memory hog.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

What's the Chewbacca defense? I'm very curious because there are Apple fans that do this all the time: "Your excusing the app behaviour on one device, and lambasting it on another ? "

EDIT: Ah, I looked it up. It's another way of saying red herring or connecting a non-sequitur. Definitely plenty of fans that do that here.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So I have currently opened

Tapatalk
Google Keep
Phone
Plants V Monsters 2
Action Memo
Calculator
Chrome
S Planner
Quickpic
Email
Play Books
Google Currents
Flipboard
YouTube
Settings
Scrapbook

I'm using 1.98gb of 2.38

My phone is still speeding through tasks and is not choked. Where exactly is the problem? The memory is doing exactly what it supposed to. Likewise there is 600mb that is system reserved keeping everything moving.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
So I have currently opened

Tapatalk
Google Keep
Phone
Plants V Monsters 2
Action Memo
Calculator
Chrome
S Planner
Quickpic
Email
Play Books
Google Currents
Flipboard
YouTube
Settings
Scrapbook

I'm using 1.98gb of 2.38

My phone is still speeding through tasks and is not choked. Where exactly is the problem? The memory is doing exactly what it supposed to. Likewise there is 600mb that is system reserved keeping everything moving.

amen.. Some here.

Feel this is more of an agenda thread than anything else

kenknotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2013
I did the same thing. Had the Note 3 for 6 days and went back to the 5s. The Note is a great device but I too had problems with notifications. Anytime I had a notification from Facebook, it came thru instantly on my 5s and would take several minutes to hit the Note. Several times, they never came in at all. Same with emails from my gmail account. I even disable my Facebook account and removed the gmail app on my 5s thinking that might be the issue but the problem persisted.

Also had problems with emailing myself photos on the Note using gmail over wifi. It would say they were sending for over 10 minutes, like 4mb worth of pics, never went thru after several attempts. Send the same pics on my 5s and got them in my gmail 10 seconds later. Aside from these issues, it was just too big to be an everyday phone IMO. I don't do much multimedia on the go and if I really needed too, I could bring my iPad mini with me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.