Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoehr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2013
East Coast US
Hopefully this isn't too elementary for this forum...

I am a very basic video taker, i.e. I pretty much only take videos with my iPhone. I'd like to start "fixing them up" in iMovie. I've wanted to do this for some time, but with the new iMovie Theater I think I'll actually watch them more.

Right now I import them "manually" into iPhoto whenever I happen to connect my phone to my iMac. I recall that if they are in iPhoto, I can't see them in iMovie, I need to pull them out and place them in folders. (Is that correct?)

What would you recommend I do for exporting the videos from the phone, have them accessible for editing, and future viewing? Am I half way there, using iPhoto, should I remove it from the "picture" and place the videos in folders ready for iMovie, or do something else?

My preference is for simple, as I know I won't do it if it takes too much effort. I have 4+ years of videos from my JVC digital camcorder sitting in a folder that I never got around to doing anything with.

Thanks in advance.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
The subject is called "asset management". How to keep and catalog all that footage. if you used FCPX, I could suggest a good work flow bit I have not had a chance to look at the new version of iMovie.

One thing common to all good solutions to the problem is to make extensive use of metadata. Be sure to rage all the footage with place, time and the subject and also what kind of shot it it A close up, long or medium.

Backing up video is a whole other issue and whatever workflow you design must consider backup

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.