Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ratbike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
Hi, just thought id let the community know that mavericks on my late 2007 imac with 4 gig memory, works very bad indeed, very sluggish and start-up times for proggies are almost double to what it used to be, even my mail (apple en outlook) are suffering, i know that it was a shot in the dark but i had to try it, and now ill be trying mountain lion, if that don't succeed its back to good old snow leopard 10.6.........hope this helps people who otherwise were going over to mavericks..........

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-25 at 15.48.30.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-25 at 15.48.30.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 719

jsmits

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2013
Hi, just thought id let the community know that mavericks on my late 2007 imac with 4 gig memory, works very bad indeed, very sluggish and start-up times for proggies are almost double to what it used to be.....
Just curious having a late 2007 iMac myself and thinking about installing OS X Mavericks: did you do a clean install or an update?

martosprint

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
Florida
I just plain updated my old 2007 iMac and it went very well. Before the update it this iMac had slowed down a bit, but since the update it to me seems to run a little faster. I only have 3 gigs of ram on the old one and it runs good enough for me. I have a newer late 2012 iMac that I use mostly and the old iMac is mainly just a spare, but I keep everything updated on both computers.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Hi, just thought id let the community know that mavericks on my late 2007 imac with 4 gig memory, works very bad indeed, very sluggish and start-up times for proggies are almost double to what it used to be, even my mail (apple en outlook) are suffering, i know that it was a shot in the dark but i had to try it, and now ill be trying mountain lion, if that don't succeed its back to good old snow leopard 10.6.........hope this helps people who otherwise were going over to mavericks..........
It's not certain that your experience will be true for all computers of that model or vintage. It's also possible that your problem could be fixed.
Make sure you don't have any third-party software running in the background (particularly from the same vintage).
Also, test a new user account, and see if the problems persist. If not, it's nothing to do with the OS. Go back to your old account and fix the problem there.

ratbike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
@Benwiggy, Thats a good tip and for the record i updated not clean install, mayby ill try a clean install, ill keep my findings posted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.