Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNoobGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Hi all, I just tried opening a .doc file I created using 'OpenOffice', but I'm getting this error: "Read-Error. This is not a WinWord97 file." Since I'm on a Mac I tried using NeoOffice and Bean, but I get the same error. The only reason I can think of is that this .doc is in a Truecrypt container and I may have left it open accidentally the last time I opened it. I'm not 100% sure on this. The file is 6mb so it has a lot of work I've put into it. The word count would be over 8,000 words.

What else can I try?

Thanks I really need help!

Zerozal

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
PA
I would try to copy it out of the TrueCrypt container and onto the desktop, then open it from there. If that doesn't work, try opening it in TextEdit to see if you can at least recover the text from the document.

MacNoobGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
I would try to copy it out of the TrueCrypt container and onto the desktop, then open it from there. If that doesn't work, try opening it in TextEdit to see if you can at least recover the text from the document.

Alright, thanks. I just tried copying it to my desktop, but I still got the error 'This is not a WinWord97 file'.

I just tried opening it with Textedit and it just gave me unreadable text...

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.