Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
According to the Intel website, the 2.0 GHz Crystalwell processor does not have Intel vPro technology, while the 2.3 and 2.6 (as well as 2.4, which is not in the MBPs) do have it.

This is rather outside my area of expertise, but my understanding is that vPro is Intel's hardware-level remote management technology, allowing sys-admins to access and control computers from afar, even if they are powered off.

This strikes me as possibly useful in enterprise, but also a potentially huge security vulnerability. So...do you have expertise in a relevant field, and if so does vPro present risks of remote-takeover by hackers/malware/botnets/etc.?

Luftwaffles

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2008
Kansas City, MO
According to the Intel website, the 2.0 GHz Crystalwell processor does not have Intel vPro technology, while the 2.3 and 2.6 (as well as 2.4, which is not in the MBPs) do have it.

This is rather outside my area of expertise, but my understanding is that vPro is Intel's hardware-level remote management technology, allowing sys-admins to access and control computers from afar, even if they are powered off.

This strikes me as possibly useful in enterprise, but also a potentially huge security vulnerability. So...do you have expertise in a relevant field, and if so does vPro present risks of remote-takeover by hackers/malware/botnets/etc.?
As I understand it vPro relies on BIOS support and OS drivers/software for management. Since Macs use a custom EFI, I can't imagine that you would be able to use the chip's vPro functionality, even if you loaded Windows on Boot Camp.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's up to each system integrator as to whether they support vPro on their hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.