Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Can anyone recommend an email client that's compatible with iCloud and Linux? I just discovered that Thunderbird doesn't support iCloud (I'm on Ubuntu 13.10).

I need to keep the iCloud account for push notifications to my iPhone. The mail app doesn't support push notifications for Gmail, and I'm not interested in using Google's alternative.

I feel like I'm stuck in limbo owning both a PC and an iPhone; nothing wants to play nice with anything!

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Thunderbird works fine with iCloud email. You just have to enter the server configuration manually, since the setup wizard doesn't know about iCloud. You can find the required information here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4864

No, it doesn't.

I did manually configure the server settings, and while you can send/receive email, the IMAP folders are just all over the place. If I delete an email message, it doesn't move to the appropriate folder in iCloud - it just disappears.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
No, it doesn't.
Yes it does. I'm using it right now.
I did manually configure the server settings, and while you can send/receive email, the IMAP folders are just all over the place. If I delete an email message, it doesn't move to the appropriate folder in iCloud - it just disappears.
You can configure the Trash folder in Thunderbird's server settings. You can also configure the folders for copies of sent messages and drafts.

mgrad92

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2007
Yes it does. I'm using it right now.
You can configure the Trash folder in Thunderbird's server settings. You can also configure the folders for copies of sent messages and drafts.

Attempting to configure some of the "root" iCloud folders in Thunderbird just doesn't seem to work. For me it's the "Sent" folder -- I can navigate to it and choose it in Thunderbird (Tools -> Account Settings -> Copies & Folders), but sending any message returns a "Couldn't save to Sent folder" error message. Trying to view what messages are in that Sent folder also returns an error message telling me the folder is "nonexistent."

(I'm running Thunderbird 24.1.0 on a Windows XP machine.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.