Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBing1980

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2013
Michigan
That's one of the main reasons I'm upgrading from the 3.

The weight didn't neither me much, but the charging time drove me nuts!

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
I don't really understand the whole charging thing. My MacBooks obviously have larger batteries, but they charge much faster. They also obviously have a bigger charger. Would it be possible to make a more powerful charger than the one that ships with it?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I don't really understand the whole charging thing. My MacBooks obviously have larger batteries, but they charge much faster. They also obviously have a bigger charger. Would it be possible to make a more powerful charger than the one that ships with it?

Apple had upgraded the iPad from 10W to 12W at some point to help remedy this. I think anything beyond that may end up hurting the longevity of these cells? Otherwise a fast charger would be a great accessory.

Are you using the small charger that came with iPad mini. If so go to apple and get the 12w model. It will charge in less than 3 hours for me.

I have to wonder if using the higher-output charger will harm the battery life over time. I'm always hesitant to use the iPad charger on my iPhone for this reason. One would assume they use similar battery tech so it shouldn't be an issue, but otherwise why would they do it? To save cost?

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007

Not that simple. Sure you can always build a bigger charger... but that doesn't mean it will charge faster. There are a lot of factors at work here and they have to do with physics and how certain elemental properties accept current. The ambient temperature is a factor as well.

This is why Apple is trying to engineer their own battery technology.

One way to maintain lithium Ion battery health is to charge it frequently to a full state. Apple has always recommended a once a month discharge to empty.

I do understand your dilemma. And I for one would like to Apple move away from Lithium Ion technology to something considerably more high tech.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
I wouldn't say I have a dilemma - I've learned to live with it. I'm really just curious about the reasons why it's that way.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

Apple is doing quite well for itself, but could completely dominate the markets if they had their own super battery that no competitor could touch. That would be crazy. I remember reading many years ago about some guys at MIT who were working on a new battery that was supposed to power a laptop for like a few weeks or a month and charge in 15-30 minutes. Somehow that news always goes away never to be heard from again.

daywiz

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
According to iLounge, the battery in iPad Air is 32.4-Watt-hours compared to the 4th gen's 42.5-Watt-hours, which will allow the device to charge faster and reduce the charging time to closer to 4 hours. If this turns out to be accurate I'll be very happy. :) My iPad 3 is a dog when it comes to charging.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/apple-quietly-changes-ipad-air-retina-mini-batteries/

I think that's a bit too long

The ipad 2 battery 25 Watt/Hr unit - Full Charging time was approx a little more than 4 hours or around 260 mins ( using a 10W charger)

The ipad 3 battery 42.5 Watt/ Hr unit - Full Charging time was approx around 6.5 hours or 390 mins (using a 10W charger)

The ipad 4 battery 42.5 Watt/Hr Unit - Full charging time was approx close to 5 hours or around 285 minutes (using a 12W charger)

So basically the cycle should be like this:

ipad 2 -> ipad 3 ( 70 % bigger battery)-> ipad 4 ( same battery but 30% faster charger)

If you put those figures in logical perspective:

ipad 4 -> ipad 5 (air) ( 23% smaller battery but same speed of charging)

so therefore: ipad air should take approximately 3.7 hours or 220 minutes to charge. It could be even less ( but I am putting some leverage for discrepancies and efficiency).

I definitely think that ipad air will charge faster than the ipad 2 if you use the 12W charger.

SamuraiMinis

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2013
Not that simple. Sure you can always build a bigger charger... but that doesn't mean it will charge faster. There are a lot of factors at work here and they have to do with physics and how certain elemental properties accept current. The ambient temperature is a factor as well.

One way to maintain lithium Ion battery health is to charge it frequently to a full state. Apple has always recommended a once a month discharge to empty.

I do understand your dilemma. And I for one would like to Apple move away from Lithium Ion technology to something considerably more high tech.

I haven't looked into this, but..... What would be considerably more high-tech? Just wondering what it is if there is/you know.

xNYMetsx

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2013
According to iLounge, the battery in iPad Air is 32.4-Watt-hours compared to the 4th gen's 42.5-Watt-hours, which will allow the device to charge faster and reduce the charging time to closer to 4 hours. If this turns out to be accurate I'll be very happy. :) My iPad 3 is a dog when it comes to charging.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/apple-quietly-changes-ipad-air-retina-mini-batteries/

My first iPad was the 3. So you're saying that charging speed isn't normal?

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
I haven't looked into this, but..... What would be considerably more high-tech? Just wondering what it is if there is/you know.

I am not privy to research going on the field but I recall Apple saying a year or two ago that they were actively engaged in battery technology research - something beyond Lithium Ion that is used now. As someone else here indicated a laptop or iPad could last for weeks if not months. Remember that Lithium Ion technology was a figment of the imagination in the 20's and 30's. Sorry I don't have more detailed info for you.

miwi81

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2010
The ipad 3 battery 42.5 Watt/ Hr unit - Full Charging time was approx around 6.5 hours or 390 mins (using a 10W charger)

Hmm. My ipad 3 charges fully in 4hrs with a 10W charger. Perhaps it has to do with voltage in the outlet? 230v here in Sweden.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.