Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clint1583

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
Hoping someone can answer this for us. My wife has an older 13" MBP with the original Leopard 10.5.8 operating system but would like to be able to update it with the new Maverick system. I noticed that Apple is now allowing owners to upgrade to both Lion and Mountain Lion for $20. so that older units can run Maverick.

What would be the best way (if at all) for my wife to be able to do this? Would her unit even be up-gradable because of it's age? Because it's still in great condition it seems like it would be worth spending a fair amount of money to bring it up to date. Thanks for any help!

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
why not skip all that and upgrade to maverick?

http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/

Mac models compatible with OSX Maverick.

iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
Xserve (Early 2009)

Clint1583

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
If she has the original 10.5.8 Leopard would she have to individually upgrade to each older operating system that's in between her Leopard and the new Maverick?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If she has the original 10.5.8 Leopard would she have to individually upgrade to each older operating system that's in between her Leopard and the new Maverick?

No, but you will need to get to Snow Leopard as that is the first version that supports the App Store app that you need to get Mavericks. So buy the Snow Leopard DVD from Apple here for $20 then run software update to get the newest version of the App Store. Then in the App Store get your free copy of Mavericks and install it.

You won' need to install Lion or Mt. Lion.

ammusk

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2009
No, but you will need to get to Snow Leopard as that is the first version that supports the App Store app that you need to get Mavericks. So buy the Snow Leopard DVD from Apple here for $20 then run software update to get the newest version of the App Store. Then in the App Store get your free copy of Mavericks and install it.

You won' need to install Lion or Mt. Lion.

Yep, if you want to install Mavericks you need a version of OS X with the App Store i.e. Snow Leopard, Lion or Mountain Lion.

Clint1583

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
Thanks for the help. I only hope her computer meets the minimum requirements that are needed to install Snow Leopard let alone Mavericks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.