Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leftywamumonkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
California
I've had this problem ever since I got my rMBP 15" in 2012 where I'll initially be able to watch a YouTube video in the largest player size after starting Safari, but if I open a new tab, close the window and reopen another one or do something similar, it will default back to the smaller viewing size until I quit Safari and restart it. I'm not changing the width of the Safari browser and the largest size continuously works on my iMac. I've attached pics to show what I'm talking about.
Is there a fix for this? I've tried joining YouTube's HTML5 program, but that hasn't solved the problem.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

The "largest" size.
Screen%20Shot%202013-10-25%20at%2010.51.44%20AM.png

The smaller, yet larger player from the options.
Screen%20Shot%202013-10-25%20at%2010.53.14%20AM.png

walkie

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
This doesn't have anything to do with your rMBP, this is something about your web browser.

jont-fu

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
You might want to try out the Youtube5 extension for Safari, as it has a nice "popup" player button which I think is just the right size.

Unfortunately it now only works up to 720p but for me that's enough.

Additionally you might benefit from having less cpu strain (it plays hardware accelerated h.264 video) and get rid of ads.

leftywamumonkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
California
This doesn't have anything to do with your rMBP, this is something about your web browser.

Is it? This problem doesn't occur on my iMac when using Safari and this also happens when I use Chrome on my rMBP.

You might want to try out the Youtube5 extension for Safari, as it has a nice "popup" player button which I think is just the right size.

Unfortunately it now only works up to 720p but for me that's enough.

Additionally you might benefit from having less cpu strain (it plays hardware accelerated h.264 video) and get rid of ads.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried this in the past, but I didn't like using it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.