Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Oct 25, 2013, 03:34 PM   #1
AnimAlu
macrumors newbie

iPhone 5s Setup Problems

Hello there,

just got my new iPhone 5s, and did a restore from iCloud. Everything went fine there, but when it transitioned to the Apple logo and loading bar, it locked up after a while (for about 1/2 hour) without advancing at about the 1/4 position. Did a reboot, and now it's locking up at about 1/8 position without advancing. Any ideas?
AnimAlu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2013, 12:34 PM   #2
rbrian
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimAlu View Post
Hello there,

just got my new iPhone 5s, and did a restore from iCloud. Everything went fine there, but when it transitioned to the Apple logo and loading bar, it locked up after a while (for about 1/2 hour) without advancing at about the 1/4 position. Did a reboot, and now it's locking up at about 1/8 position without advancing. Any ideas?
I came here to ask the very same question! Mine was stuck at 1/4 for two hours before I did the reset, and it's now been stuck on 1/8 for 4 hours. I finally got home, and plugged it into my computer with the USB cable (how 2010!), and iTunes recognised it, asking me to register the new iPhone. I did that; still no difference. I'm now downloading iOS 7.03 (it was on 7.02 when it arrived) via iTunes, since I can't get into the phone to do it OTA. I'll see if that makes any difference, if not I'll click the Restore iPhone button that's also there, and see how that goes. Failing that, next step is the Apple Store for a replacement - and personal setup too!
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:37 PM   #3
almostirish
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimAlu View Post
Hello there,

I have the same problem. I just got the 5s and set it up from an iCloud backup. It's been stuck for about 8 hours on the loading screen with the apple logo. I can't turn off the phone. Any ideas?
almostirish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:13 AM   #4
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

why dont you guys restore the device and try again. my guess is something is corrupting with the icloud restore. personally, i never restore from icloud, but just use my backups for calendar and contacts only.
iPod Touch 4th Generation 64GB Black
dictoresno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:17 AM   #5
almostirish
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dictoresno View Post
why dont you guys restore the device and try again. my guess is something is corrupting with the icloud restore. personally, i never restore from icloud, but just use my backups for calendar and contacts only.
Thanks for your reply. How do I restore the device?
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:22 AM   #6
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

you plug it into itunes and click the button that says restore. it will basically make the phone new, out of box.

from there, you can either set it up as new or attempt to restore from a computer backup. i dont know when your last itunes backup was vs icloud though. i never restore from icloud because im always afraid of exactly whats going on here. i think sometimes it gets locked up like this.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:28 AM   #7
almostirish
macrumors newbie

Quote:
you plug it into itunes and click the button that says restore. it will basically make the phone new, out of box.

from there, you can either set it up as new or attempt to restore from a computer backup. i dont know when your last itunes backup was vs icloud though. i never restore from icloud because im always afraid of exactly whats going on here. i think sometimes it gets locked up like this.
Unfortunately I can't do that as I don't have a computer. I tried pressing both the power on button and home button at the same time and that forced a restart. Will see if it works this time. I'm back to the load screen with the apple logo.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 03:39 AM   #8
rbrian
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
why dont you guys restore the device and try again
That will be the next thing I try - it's been plugged in now for over 12 hours, and nothing has happened. The restore button is greyed out, it says it is downloading iOS 7.03, but that shouldn't take 12 hours, even over dial up! I don't want to interrupt it in case I brick it properly, but I will if it's still stuck when I get home from work tonight.
rbrian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2013, 05:37 AM   #9
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrian View Post
That will be the next thing I try - it's been plugged in now for over 12 hours, and nothing has happened. The restore button is greyed out, it says it is downloading iOS 7.03, but that shouldn't take 12 hours, even over dial up! I don't want to interrupt it in case I brick it properly, but I will if it's still stuck when I get home from work tonight.
i dont think it will brick. you should still be able to DFU and then restore. if you want, download the IPSW file first ahead of time as opposed to having itunes do it for you.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 09:32 AM   #10
zybersniper
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrian View Post
Unless it's a firmware upgrade it's impossible to brick on a restore.

And even on a firmware upgrade most semi-bricked situations could be restored using the DFU mode.
zybersniper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2013, 01:05 PM   #11
rbrian
macrumors 6502a

I unplugged it. The screen showed the same Apple symbol and 1/8th full progress bar it's been showing for for about 16 hours now. Reset it... and the exact same thing. Plugged it back in, and "iTunes is currently downloading software", same as it's been showing for 16 hours, with Restore greyed out. I know my connection isn't very fast, but it should be quicker than that even on 3Mb! I'll leave it overnight again, and if it's still the same I'll take it to the Apple Store in the morning and get it swapped.

----------

OK, I made some progress... I was downloading other stuff too, I didn't expect the iPhone software to be number 167 on the list, which it probably wouldn't get to for another week. I went to the iTunes Downloads window and dragged it to the top of the list, now it's estimating 2 hours. There may yet be hope...
Old Oct 28, 2013, 05:23 PM   #12
almostirish
macrumors newbie

Posting an update: I turned off the phone by pressing both the power button and home button after I unplugged the cable. I let the phone stay off for about an hour. When I turned it back on everything was perfect and all data from my old iphone was downloaded to my new phone
Old Oct 30, 2013, 04:41 AM   #13
rbrian
macrumors 6502a

Finally got it to work, and then had to reset it again to make the iTunes Store work. Is it me, or is the buggiest release yet?

Mavericks hiding windows off the edge of the screen where I can't interact with them except by killing the app every time it wakes from sleep, and the iPhone setup problems make me wish they'd waited another month before release!
rbrian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:13 AM   #14
AnimAlu
macrumors newbie

Thank you for all the responses! I took my phone to the Apple store and they did a restore. Looks like my latest icloud backup might have been corrupt, so I did a restore from one a few days earlier and that worked fine...
AnimAlu is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting