Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 25, 2013, 05:18 PM   #1
coldwaves
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Opening new tab slow in safari

I upgraded to Mavericks. In Safari, when I click on a link and safari opens the link in a new tab, it is slow. There is a little lag when a new tag shows up in the tag bar. If I right click on the link and choose "open in new tab", there is no lag and the new tab opens immediately. I tried this on my friend's new 13 rMBP, it seems to be the same way. If the new link is opened in a new tab, there is always this small amount of lag. Do you have the same experience?

I have a early 2010 15 MBP with 2.0GHz CPU, 8GB RAM and 128G SSD.
coldwaves is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2013, 04:46 AM   #2
Spie2
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
I'm experiencing the same with my MacBook Air with Mavericks. Because the tab isn't responding immediately, Safari opens two or three tabs after each other ... very annoying! It feels like a bug in Safari ...
Spie2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2013, 09:30 AM   #3
coldwaves
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spie2 View Post
I'm experiencing the same with my MacBook Air with Mavericks. Because the tab isn't responding immediately, Safari opens two or three tabs after each other ... very annoying! It feels like a bug in Safari ...
I tried to clean reinstall Mavericks and it is still the same way. Hopefully it will be fixed in the updates.
coldwaves is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:04 AM   #4
stuffradio
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwaves View Post
I upgraded to Mavericks. In Safari, when I click on a link and safari opens the link in a new tab, it is slow. There is a little lag when a new tag shows up in the tag bar. If I right click on the link and choose "open in new tab", there is no lag and the new tab opens immediately. I tried this on my friend's new 13 rMBP, it seems to be the same way. If the new link is opened in a new tab, there is always this small amount of lag. Do you have the same experience?

I have a early 2010 15 MBP with 2.0GHz CPU, 8GB RAM and 128G SSD.
I don't have this issue. I have 16 GB ram, 2011 the middle Mac mini.
stuffradio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:24 AM   #5
closet geek
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwaves View Post
I upgraded to Mavericks. In Safari, when I click on a link and safari opens the link in a new tab, it is slow. There is a little lag when a new tag shows up in the tag bar. If I right click on the link and choose "open in new tab", there is no lag and the new tab opens immediately. I tried this on my friend's new 13 rMBP, it seems to be the same way. If the new link is opened in a new tab, there is always this small amount of lag. Do you have the same experience?

I have a early 2010 15 MBP with 2.0GHz CPU, 8GB RAM and 128G SSD.
I see this as well. It happens with any link that has target="blank" and there is a noticeable pause/lag/delay before the new tab appears and loads the content. This can be worked around by holding down the cmd key when clicking the link or right clicking on the link and selecting "Open in New Tab" as you say. I would love to know what is causing this or if there are any workarounds.
closet geek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2013, 08:29 AM   #6
coldwaves
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by closet geek View Post
I see this as well. It happens with any link that has target="blank" and there is a noticeable pause/lag/delay before the new tab appears and loads the content. This can be worked around by holding down the cmd key when clicking the link or right clicking on the link and selecting "Open in New Tab" as you say. I would love to know what is causing this or if there are any workarounds.
Exactly. Thanks for letting me know. Hope Apple fixes this small issue in the future updates.
coldwaves is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2013, 01:47 PM   #7
jimmyz80
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Apex, NC
I'm experiencing this as well, but in a slightly different way. I normally hit command-t to open a new tab, and immediately begin typing the URL or search phrase I want to go to. The lag in Safari is making it drop the first few letters I type, so instead of "iPad pre order date", i'll end up going to "d pre order date". So frustrating to have to slow down for a cutting edge laptop. :/
jimmyz80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2013, 06:38 PM   #8
estockme
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
me too!!! i was switching to safari just for the icloud keychain... but now i'm missing the flexibility and security of lastpass anyhow, so maybe who cares.
estockme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2013, 03:02 PM   #9
xangria
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
I'm having the same problem. My MBP has 10 gb of ram, so it definitely shouldn't be lagging. Must be an unfortunate bug.
xangria is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2013, 03:58 AM   #10
ZadloPL
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Problem seems to be with Shared Links in the Side Bar hit ⌘⇧L that will hide the side bar and fix slow tab opening.
ZadloPL is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This tab keeps opening by itself every few minutes in Safari... DramaLLama Mac Basics and Help 4 Apr 15, 2014 11:12 PM
Safari crashes when opening a new tab? el-John-o OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 10 Apr 21, 2013 02:36 PM
Safari - opening New Window as a Tab? garycurtis Mac Basics and Help 4 Apr 11, 2013 05:59 PM
Opening URL from Mail overwrites Safari tab instead of opening new tab hscottm OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 3 Nov 21, 2012 02:02 PM
Stop Safari opening previous webpage on opening safari mds1256 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Jun 27, 2012 02:50 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC