Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CBillups1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
Michigan
at least twice now in the last 2 weeks my phone has died when the battery hit 10%

one it did it at 20%

it would turn off like it would at 1%...

im scared to go to the apple store, i have applecare plus but im not using it, my phone is very used and scratched on the back but the front is flawless, i dont know what they will say or do

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
at least twice now in the last 2 weeks my phone has died when the battery hit 10%

one it did it at 20%

it would turn off like it would at 1%...

im scared to go to the apple store, i have applecare plus but im not using it, my phone is very used and scratched on the back but the front is flawless, i dont know what they will say or do

Out of curiosity, why not use one of the Applecare+ instances? Assuming it's an iPhone 5, you walk in, pay $49, and walk out with basically a new phone. And they won't care how scratched up it is. You paid for the Applecare+ coverage, you get two $49 replacements...period. Don't let them talk you out of it, don't let them just replace the battery (unless you just don't want to pay the $49). Tell them you want a replacement and walk out happy.

Oh, and at least put a slim case on the new one. Then you won't have to worry yourself over those scratches.

Sekelani

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2012
You're presuming the device is brand new. It sounds more like something that would be covered by AppleCare.

Oh. Yeah. If it's an old device I'm not sure if he'll get a new device like the 5S instead?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Oh. Yeah. If it's an old device I'm not sure if he'll get a new device like the 5S instead?
Under AppleCare, usually the phone would be replaced with the same model if they don't just replace the battery.

Worst case is they will say it was damaged by whatever damaged the back and charge you the replacement fee under AppleCare+.

Sekelani

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2012
Under AppleCare, usually the phone would be replaced with the same model if they don't just replace the battery.

Worst case is they will say it was damaged by whatever damaged the back and charge you the replacement fee under AppleCare+.

Oh. What if they don't have the phone? Like the iPhone 5 isn't in stock anymore. Would they replace it for the 5c?

Dascoyne

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2013
Palo Alto, Ca
will i get a new phone?

magic_8ball_outlook_not_so_good.jpg

CBillups1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
Michigan
Out of curiosity, why not use one of the Applecare+ instances? Assuming it's an iPhone 5, you walk in, pay $49, and walk out with basically a new phone. And they won't care how scratched up it is. You paid for the Applecare+ coverage, you get two $49 replacements...period. Don't let them talk you out of it, don't let them just replace the battery (unless you just don't want to pay the $49). Tell them you want a replacement and walk out happy.

Oh, and at least put a slim case on the new one. Then you won't have to worry yourself over those scratches.

well one, they raised the price t $79.

second, i didnt damage the phone so why would i need to pay to fix my phone? i bought the extra warranty to have insurance basically if i screw up my phone or something myself.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.

second, i didnt damage the phone so why would i need to pay to fix my phone? i bought the extra warranty to have insurance basically if i screw up my phone or something myself.

Again, I thought this was a 5. If it's a 5s, yes, the cost is $79. Have you really done that much damage to a phone you've had for a month at the most? If that's the case, then you absolutely need a case. Sheesh.

I can tell you what they'll do as I just did this for a quickly draining battery myself. They do what they'll call a "deep restore". They'll say their restore goes deeper into the system than an iTunes restore does. Not sure if I believe that, but that's what they say. Then they'll say to not restore from backup when you get home.

This did wonders for my draining battery on my iPhone 5.

0r30

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2010
Texas

Cbillups1

I had a similar problem that my phone was dying at 30% or 20%

I used apples online support

https://getsupport.apple.com/Issues.action

Did a diagnosis that gave me the result of a power issue. Then did a online chat to let them know about it and was given options on how to get a replacement via mail. They acknowledged the replacement and one option was the "express" they ship you a replacement phone and once you get it you send yours back. Have in mind they ask for CC information for just incase you never send the old phone in.

If you go into the apple store you will most likely just get the battery replaced as that is what I ended up doing.

CBillups1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
Michigan
Cbillups1

I had a similar problem that my phone was dying at 30% or 20%

I used apples online support

https://getsupport.apple.com/Issues.action

Did a diagnosis that gave me the result of a power issue. Then did a online chat to let them know about it and was given options on how to get a replacement via mail. They acknowledged the replacement and one option was the "express" they ship you a replacement phone and once you get it you send yours back. Have in mind they ask for CC information for just incase you never send the old phone in.

If you go into the apple store you will most likely just get the battery replaced as that is what I ended up doing.

wow did NOT know they had online chat.

but what exactly will happen with my remaining applecare plus? i only got it in May of this year? does it automatticaly transfer to the replacement?

----------

Again, I thought this was a 5. If it's a 5s, yes, the cost is $79. Have you really done that much damage to a phone you've had for a month at the most? If that's the case, then you absolutely need a case. Sheesh.

I can tell you what they'll do as I just did this for a quickly draining battery myself. They do what they'll call a "deep restore". They'll say their restore goes deeper into the system than an iTunes restore does. Not sure if I believe that, but that's what they say. Then they'll say to not restore from backup when you get home.

This did wonders for my draining battery on my iPhone 5.

its an iphone 5, ive had it since april/may?

its not damage, im just saying the back is scratched and what not from keys and things in my pocket. the phone works perfectly find but like i said twice it turned off as the battery shut off then another time one night, it was at 38% when i looked at my phone then just a few hours later the phone was off from a dead battery so in fact it happened 3 different times.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I went in for exactly the same issue a couple of weeks ago. Here's what will happen:

1) They will connect to your phone and run a diagnostic test on the battery.

2) If it comes back below a certain line on a resulting capacity-vs-charge cycles graph, they will tell you that your battery is worn and not defective and will offer to replace it for $79 (AppleCare+ does not cover battery wear).

3) If it comes back measuring above the line, they will check for water damage. If your phone's moisture indicators are tripped, they will tell you that your phone was water damaged and offer you a $49 replacement under your AppleCare+ plan. If your moisture indicators are white, they will either replace the battery or replace the phone, at their discretion.

My phone was nearly two years old and had had 500-odd charge cycles, so they did not cover it. The next week, however, my home button broke and they replaced the phone for free.

0r30

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2010
Texas
wow did NOT know they had online chat.

but what exactly will happen with my remaining applecare plus? i only got it in May of this year? does it automatticaly transfer to the replacement?

----------

its an iphone 5, ive had it since april/may?

its not damage, im just saying the back is scratched and what not from keys and things in my pocket. the phone works perfectly find but like i said twice it turned off as the battery shut off then another time one night, it was at 38% when i looked at my phone then just a few hours later the phone was off from a dead battery so in fact it happened 3 different times.

It is transferred automatically to the new replacement phone.

Do the online diagnostics. If it shows a power issue then try getting a replacement via online. Once the diagnosis shows the power issue they will offer you different online methods of replacement. I told them I was too busy and lived too far from apple which I am.... but ended up walking into a apple store on a weekend and that is when the phone had a battery replacement.

The phone still has the 2 replacements as well.

Last edited:

CBillups1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
Michigan
i did the diagnostics but didnt tell me anything.

they wouldnt offer me anything online and told me they had to call me. did you have to call as well?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.