Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
Seems my PB may turn into a 'Limited Edition' portable with firewire 400 & 800... Get'em now, while you still can...

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
Just weird for me. I use my iPod to transfer stuff from the macs at school to my TiBook via firewire. Oh well. I guess if I got a shiny new video iPod, I'd might as well get a Macintel too.

We will miss you ol' FW.

Nitrocide

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2005
Bristol, UK
:eek:

Thats one of the great apple inventions. and its become an industry standard too!

>not getting one of these ibooks<

Hope it doesnt become sign of things to come with future macs. :confused:

fowler.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
Pasadena
Staffroomer said:
How will I connect my Canon camcorder to my iBook????:mad:

there are fw 400 > fw 800 connectors. obviously, it doesn't speed it up, but it allows you to utilize that port if you're not using any fw 800 devices.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Isn't PowerPage's reliability like... nonexsistant. Not being on the iPod is one thing, but on a computer? How will you edit video? Unlike the iPod, it would be easy to add to an Intel mb. Some even come with it already onboard. I call BS.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Come on guys. Do you really believe this crap? No way will I believe this until I see it. Apple put too much time and effort into 1394 to just get rid of it. Plus, PCs are just starting to include it and Apple is going to drop it. No way.

Stewie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
Austin
I am surprised that no one has mentioned this yet. iSight.

What is to become of that? Will Apple convert it to USB or FW 800? Will all portables have built in iSight?

rhix

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2004
Winnipeg,MB
iSights?

I don't believe it. There are too many firewire-only DV cams out there, and the iSight is firewire only. I paid an arm and a leg for that damn iSight, they better make it work with my next Mac!

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
If they do this, then they'll probably include a F800 —> F400 converter with the PBs. I hope that they don't do this though, and I don't see why they'd really need to unless they're that limited on space.
-Chase

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
I read this blog post a while ago... I really don't see it happening. IMO, it would kill the use of iLife on an iBook. A lot of consumer-level cameras can import over FW.

Home movies > sony handycam > iLink (that's their brand of FW, right?) > iMovie

Well.. I really hope it doesn't happen. If it does, you'll be prying my FW powerbook out of my cold, dead hands.
(OK, you'd do that now, but... YOU GET THE POINT!)

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Stewie said:
I am surprised that no one has mentioned this yet. iSight.

What is to become of that? Will Apple convert it to USB or FW 800? Will all portables have built in iSight?

I'm guessing that they'll include an iSight into the PBs, but I don't know the dimensions of the chip inside the iMac to know if it's feasible or not. But, that still leaves the iBook hanging, unless they ship it in their laptops and displays.
-Chase

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
I don't believe this for a second. So many people rely on firewire for so many things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.