Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
I'm honestly asking, why do people think there will be a retina Macbook Air? The air is the budget macbook. The Macbook Pro 13 with Retina is now only $1299. The 13 in Air is $1099. For $200 more you get a better computer that comes with retina. I don't know why Apple would want to lower their margins even more.

The only good reason I can think of is that the competitors are getting better and better screens for their ultra books.

Viscerol

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2013
I can't imagine Apple Cannibalizing the 13" rMBP by giving the MBA the retina screen.

Having said that, most MBA purchasers do so because they don't need the up-spec the Pro gives them. I came from a 2009 17" MBP to the 2012 MBA because I liked the slim design and for me is plenty powerful. Don't miss the Pro. I would love to have a retina screen but not worth the extra weight and $.

Apple may have to eventually offer it to compete, or they may only offer 1 notebook in the future that you pick and choose your specs (most likely imo) and all have retina.

Yell0w

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2008
I really hope that they don't have a Retina air since I just purchased a 2013 air to use in conjunction with my early 2008 MBP which is having battery issues.

It was already a hard decision deciding between the MBA or the 13" MBP.

Still having doubts if I made the right decision or not.

Pborofski

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
There will certainly be a retina MBA, it's just a matter of time. World goes on and you'll not stop it. I think the time might be coming next year.

covertash

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2012
I'm just guessing, but I assume there just haven't been any Retina based Air's yet because it might be detrimental to battery performance (which, is one of the big selling points). It's quite possible that if the next generation Intel chips (Broadwell) are as power efficient as Intel claims, it might make enough of a compromise, power-wise, that Apple would be willing to put a Retina screen on the next Air.

If that's the case, I would be willing to jump on that boat. :D

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I don't care about price. I bought my 2010 MacBook Air because it was the smallest computer that could run both OSX and Windows (on the same computer).

The 13" retina-MacBook Pro is simply too big compared to my current 11" MacBook Air. My main complaint is the screen, although I would like it even thinner as long I can still get 5 to 7 hours of battery life out of it.

Mostly, I want a retina display. I wish the display could look as sharp and bright as my iPhone 5.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Personally I wouldn't pay another nickel for a retina MBA. The extra pixels would add nothing for my type of use and the additional cost plus lower runtime would be a big negative.

I had a 2011 13" MBA and now have a 2013 11" MBA. For me, on the 11" model the physical size of the screen is the limitation and not the pixel density. I use my MBA plugged into a big screen 90% of the time but love the size for the times that I travel.

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I don't need retina, because surely Apple will price it higher. I do like IPS for even the entry level Airs. I mean, all the iPads, iPhones, iMacs have IPS. Give all the MacBooks IPS, even if it is 1366x768 for the 11".

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
I'm honestly asking, why do people think there will be a retina Macbook Air? The air is the budget macbook.

Wrong. It's the thinnest and lightest MacBook. Price has absolutely nothing to do with it. Apple could release a 13" MBA at a higher price than the 13" rMBP and I'd still buy it.

Assuming that the MBA is a "budget" machine just because it's lower in price is the height of stupidity.

Viscerol

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2013
I do believe the reason for the new iPad mini actually getting thicker was to make room for the retina display. If true, unless some new breakthrough technology comes around, that is a limiting factor for he MBA not getting retina. If it has to be fatter, it might as we'll be a pro and defeat the purpose altogether of being a super thin and light notebook.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Personally I wouldn't pay another nickel for a retina MBA. The extra pixels would add nothing for my type of use and the additional cost plus lower runtime would be a big negative..

The rumored new 12" MBA is supposed to come with a IGZO retina screen. IGZO screens are brighter AND lower power at the same time. It is more than just 'retina' resolution.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
Well in this case iPad Air is a budget iPad according to your opinion. :)

Nope. I did not say the air nomenclature is cheapest. Please reread my post.

I can't imagine Apple Cannibalizing the 13" rMBP by giving the MBA the retina screen.

Having said that, most MBA purchasers do so because they don't need the up-spec the Pro gives them. I came from a 2009 17" MBP to the 2012 MBA because I liked the slim design and for me is plenty powerful. Don't miss the Pro. I would love to have a retina screen but not worth the extra weight and $.

Apple may have to eventually offer it to compete, or they may only offer 1 notebook in the future that you pick and choose your specs (most likely imo) and all have retina.

I agree, why have two computers overlap so much? If they charge $100 more for retina, it wouldn't make sense and it would be too many products.

There will certainly be a retina MBA, it's just a matter of time. World goes on and you'll not stop it. I think the time might be coming next year.

No one is trying to stop it. IGZO screens are next for the Macbook Air.

I'm just guessing, but I assume there just haven't been any Retina based Air's yet because it might be detrimental to battery performance (which, is one of the big selling points). It's quite possible that if the next generation Intel chips (Broadwell) are as power efficient as Intel claims, it might make enough of a compromise, power-wise, that Apple would be willing to put a Retina screen on the next Air.

If that's the case, I would be willing to jump on that boat. :D

That's a good point.

Personally I wouldn't pay another nickel for a retina MBA. The extra pixels would add nothing for my type of use and the additional cost plus lower runtime would be a big negative.

I had a 2011 13" MBA and now have a 2013 11" MBA. For me, on the 11" model the physical size of the screen is the limitation and not the pixel density. I use my MBA plugged into a big screen 90% of the time but love the size for the times that I travel.

That is one reason I did not get the 11". I could not work with the height of the display.

I don't need retina, because surely Apple will price it higher. I do like IPS for even the entry level Airs. I mean, all the iPads, iPhones, iMacs have IPS. Give all the MacBooks IPS, even if it is 1366x768 for the 11".

That's what I'm asking, if they price it higher, it is going to be the same price as the Macbook Pro 13" with retina...

Wrong. It's the thinnest and lightest MacBook. Price has absolutely nothing to do with it. Apple could release a 13" MBA at a higher price than the 13" rMBP and I'd still buy it.

Assuming that the MBA is a "budget" machine just because it's lower in price is the height of stupidity.

That's nice for you... and that would be the height of stupidity. MBA is the budget machine because it is lower in price and has the weakest internals. Good fight.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010

Finally, someone who thinks like me!

It just so happens that Apple made their MBA line into their entry level machine. It makes sense that a computer with a smaller screen is cheaper, bur things that are miniaturized often require special processes and materials. This can make them more expensive than something slightly bigger.

Apple's new 12" retina MBA may eventually become the entry model but I bet when it is first introduced it will command a slightly higher price. The first IGZO screen using a new case that is thinner than anything else Apple has produced? Come on! I bet it will cost as much as a 13" MBP and have lower specs.

I don't think I'm the only one who would pay extra for a premium notebook that is super thin.

----------

I do believe the reason for the new iPad mini actually getting thicker was to make room for the retina display. If true, unless some new breakthrough technology comes around, that is a limiting factor for he MBA not getting retina. If it has to be fatter, it might as we'll be a pro and defeat the purpose altogether of being a super thin and light notebook.

IGZO technology IS breakthrough technology in my mind.

Dr Charter

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Oklahoma
I'm honestly asking, why do people think there will be a retina Macbook Air? The air is the budget macbook. .

Your post assumes that retina will always be a premium feature. I don't think that is the case when you look at what they've done with the iPad mini. I could see retina becoming a standard feature across all of their products, including the "budget" laptop. I do agree that there is probably too much overlap between the 13" retina Air and a 13" retina pro.

That is why the prediction of a 12" retina Air makes sense to me. That gives Apple one line of thin, light retina laptops. All the base models would have integrated graphics, while the 15 inch (hopefully someday the 13") has the option for higher-end graphics. I'd love to see them bring back the 17" as well but that seems like a long-shot.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Nope. I did not say the air nomenclature is cheapest. Please reread my post.

I agree, why have two computers overlap so much? If they charge $100 more for retina, it wouldn't make sense and it would be too many products.

No one is trying to stop it. IGZO screens are next for the Macbook Air.

That's a good point.

That is one reason I did not get the 11". I could not work with the height of the display.

That's what I'm asking, if they price it higher, it is going to be the same price as the Macbook Pro 13" with retina...

That's nice for you... and that would be the height of stupidity. MBA is the budget machine because it is lower in price and has the weakest internals. Good fight.

I've been following the MBA line of computers for a very long time. I bought one of the original and one of 2010 models. There have been many times when the MBA had worse specs yet still costed more money. Apple knows that some people are willing to pay more to get less if it is slightly thinner.

Many people have claimed all along that is was stupid to buy the more expensive MBA when it was just slightly thinner than MacBook or MBP.

Only now is it cheaper. The MBP computers have gotten closer. It is time for a slimmer and lighter MBA.

yliu

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Finally, someone who thinks like me!

It just so happens that Apple made their MBA line into their entry level machine. It makes sense that a computer with a smaller screen is cheaper, bur things that are miniaturized often require special processes and materials. This can make them more expensive than something slightly bigger.

Apple's new 12" retina MBA may eventually become the entry model but I bet when it is first introduced it will command a slightly higher price. The first IGZO screen using a new case that is thinner than anything else Apple has produced? Come on! I bet it will cost as much as a 13" MBP and have lower specs.

I don't think I'm the only one who would pay extra for a premium notebook that is super thin.

----------

IGZO technology IS breakthrough technology in my mind.

Agreed, ultra thin was never a synonym for cheap.

I think Apple would introduce the rMBA as expensive models and slowly phase out the normal MBAs just like they are doing with the MBP.

Technology is a big factor here, as the MBA is targeted at users on-the-go and people who needs long lasting, easy to carry notebook rather than a powerhouse. The retina display would drain battery, exhaust the GPU and would likely to take up more space.

Although there does seem to be an overlap between the 13 MBA and 13 rMBP. They are both very thin and I believe that Apple would bring the prices of the rMBP even further down in the future. This makes the 13 rMBP more appealing.
Making a 12 rMBA with a thinner design definitely helps in differentiating it with the 13 rMBP.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011

Um, for what, the past couple of years? For most of its life the 13" MBA has been more expensive than the 13" MBP, usually significantly more so. This product was never designed to be a "budget" machine, it was designed to be the thinnest and lightest MacBook you could buy. That's why people loved it, and continue to love it.

The rMBP simply has a smaller body design that brings it closer to the MBA. The MBA chassis has remained largely unchanged for quite some time now. Whatever the next MBA model turns out to be, you can count on it being significantly smaller and lighter than the rMBP. With a retina screen.

Last edited:

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Um, for what, the past couple of years? For most of its life the 13" MBA has been more expensive than the 13" MBP, usually significantly more so. This product was never designed to be a "budget" machine, it was designed to be the thinnest and lightest MacBook you could buy. That's why people loved it, and continue to love it.

True, but since Apple removed the normal MacBook from the lineup, the Air has taken the place of the entry level MacBook. The MacBook Pro was put in the middle, while retina MacBook Pro was put at the top. And now, the middle has been removed and it's retina all the way. The Air remains entry level. It seems strange what has happened to the Air. The only thing we don't have is a MacBook mini.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Actually I'm waiting for a 13" MacBook Air retina to switch from my MacBook Pro 15" as my main computer ....

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
True, but since Apple removed the normal MacBook from the lineup, the Air has taken the place of the entry level MacBook. The MacBook Pro was put in the middle, while retina MacBook Pro was put at the top. And now, the middle has been removed and it's retina all the way. The Air remains entry level. It seems strange what has happened to the Air. The only thing we don't have is a MacBook mini.

I wish the new one would be called a MacBook Pro Mini. :)

(It would be expensive, yet packed with the top of line compact components)

Last edited:

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Actually I'm waiting for a 13" MacBook Air retina to switch from my MacBook Pro 15" as my main computer ....

The rumors that has been heard is for a new 12" retina MBA. My assumption is that this screen might be too small for many of the people who prefer the current 13" MBA.

I'm pretty sure that Apple should be able to squeeze a 12"+ screen into the frame of the current 11" MBA. The current bezel is huge!

The IGZO screen should be brighter (and probably have higher contrast) than the current models so maybe some of the current 13" MBA owners wouldn't find the adjustment to a 12"+ screen too difficult.

Then again, all of this discussion is based on a rumor from a supplier saying that Apple is building a new computer that uses a 12" IGZO screen. Who knows how how accurate that is. It certainly makes sense, though, since the MBA is sorely due for an improved display.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011

The rMBP simply has a smaller body design that brings it closer to the MBA. The MBA chassis has remained largely unchanged for quite some time now. Whatever the next MBA model turns out to be, you can count on it being significantly smaller and lighter than the rMBP. With a retina screen.

We are talking about the retina not the classic.

$999 is less than $1199. Meaning budget. Good fight. It was designed as that, yes. It was made for budget, yes. It's called being thin AND budget. Get over it? It's the cheap mac.

----------

Your post assumes that retina will always be a premium feature. I don't think that is the case when you look at what they've done with the iPad mini. I could see retina becoming a standard feature across all of their products, including the "budget" laptop. I do agree that there is probably too much overlap between the 13" retina Air and a 13" retina pro.

That is why the prediction of a 12" retina Air makes sense to me. That gives Apple one line of thin, light retina laptops. All the base models would have integrated graphics, while the 15 inch (hopefully someday the 13") has the option for higher-end graphics. I'd love to see them bring back the 17" as well but that seems like a long-shot.

Actually the ipad mini shows that it is premium. It is now more expensive for the retina. Agreed on the 12 inch though.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
We are talking about the retina not the classic.

$999 is less than $1199. Meaning budget. Good fight. It was designed as that, yes. It was made for budget, yes. It's called being thin AND budget. Get over it? It's the cheap mac.

(Repeat post removed)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.