Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Hello All.

Has anyone else got the problem that the top sites preview images don't seem to update?

I can reboot the computer, or turn it on the next day, and the preview images for top sites are still quite out of date.

The only way to update them seems to be to manually select 'update preview images' from the view menu. Even visiting the site.... finding it looks different, and then returning to top sites still shows the 'old' version of that site and will not update itself.

Any fixes for this, or is it just a small new feature that will be sorted in the next release.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
same here

top sites previews update only with manual reload command + R
:(

Good. There have been times when I've used a public WiFi that annoyingly asks you to register & login. In those circumstances the last thing you want is your previews to get updated with the content of a WiFi login page in the background. That happened to me on ML and looked ridiculous, as well as being unhelpful. I hope Mavericks works as you've described.

randyharris

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
I've been having the same problem for a while - drives me nuts as I use the Top Sites page quite a bit.

Thanks for that Update Preview tip, not ideal but at least that helps somewhat until it is fixed.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
I've been having the same problem for a while - drives me nuts as I use the Top Sites page quite a bit.

Thanks for that Update Preview tip, not ideal but at least that helps somewhat until it is fixed.

It's not a bug. For the reason I stated above, it's a very good idea that those previews don't update on their own. Do you really want to see a screen full of logon thumbnails? That can happen, not through the fault of any website, but the connection that you're happening to use at the time.

81Steven

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2011
we don't care if you got do deal with public isp wifi login pages, we don't.

top sites only utility was refreshing sites content.
if you want a static image of your favorite sites use an homepage full of static jpeg

randyharris

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
It's not a bug. For the reason I stated above, it's a very good idea that those previews don't update on their own. Do you really want to see a screen full of logon thumbnails? That can happen, not through the fault of any website, but the connection that you're happening to use at the time.

I actually have most of the pages pinned to ones I frequent, and if my iMac shows a logon screen I really don't care. It's in my house and password protected as soon as the screen saver comes on.

If the new behavior is intentional, it differs from how it used to work.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
I actually have most of the pages pinned to ones I frequent, and if my iMac shows a logon screen I really don't care. It's in my house and password protected as soon as the screen saver comes on.

If the new behavior is intentional, it differs from how it used to work.

The behaviour is different to that in ML, and quite rightly too, in my opinion. It caters for the great many portable users of OS X who often rely on free WiFi connections, where auto-thumbnail-update can really mess up the Top Sites view. I saw this happen myself in ML and it looked ridiculous, frankly. Since the OS doesn't know how the connectivity to websites is actually going to pan out (including computers that have wired connections) it's making the right choice.

Personally, I'd prefer it if, in addition to the thumbnail, the site's icon were to be shown, like Chrome's equivalent of Top Sites. The reason being that content can look quite different on a day-to-day basis whereas the icon doesn't. In such circumstances it can be easier to quickly find the site that you're after.

springerj

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2004
Portland, OR
Way back

Originally, the top sites preview not only showed an image of the current site, it also flagged the pages that had changed since you last looked at them. I really liked that. First the changed flag went away, now the auto update is going away. Seems quite useless now. Might as well pick a site of a bookmark menu.

pennig

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2013
I understand not wanting to auto-update sites in the background or whatever, but why not refresh the thumbnail when you actually visit the page? It's there, in front of you, in all its glory. Just take a snapshot and save it each time!

I have a bunch of sites that have a thumbnail showing weeks-old content, even though I visit them daily!

Annoying...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.