Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Rumoured, based on the specs from wikipedia:
- 2015 launch
- Chips will use the 14 nm process node. Expect some decent battery life
- Support for DDR4 memory
- Support for PCIe 4.0

I also think that this will be the model where dGPUs and Apple will part ways in notebooks. I don't think we'll see a dedicated GPU, even as a BTO option.

What are your thoughts?

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Oh man 2015 :D I'm interested to see how far solid state storage will have increased in terms of speed and size by then. The other interesting fact will be what Apple does with OSX and iOS if they will start merging the two operating systems even more. I'd also like to see Skylake pushing Macbook Pros to 15+ hours of battery life but we will have to wait and see. These are some exciting times.

I plan on using my 2012 Retina Macbook till at least 2016. I tend to keep my computers between 4-5 years.

Reactions: HansumKingtut

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Already? Enjoy what you have now and worry about that when it's released or your machine no longer functions.

I'm perfectly happy using my old mid-2010 turd which was an Applecare replacement for the 2008 original unibody I bought.

NickPhamUK

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2013
Come on, it's never too early for predictions.

Ok, I predict Macbook Hyper 2089 will have core z9513 1024 PTz (petahertz), 2048 PB (petabyte) of RAM, 1048576 PB GSD (gaseous state drive) and integrated (damn, still no dGPU) graphics card Intel Ulus Pro 520000.

Oh wait, I'll just sit back and enjoy my MBA 13" 2011 and wait until my shipment of rMBP 13" Haswell comes. :rolleyes:

Laco

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
My next upgrade will be Skylake. I bought a new Macbook Pro September 2012 and I decided that I want to upgrade again in 3 years so I will get a new Mac laptop when Skylake comes out in 2015. I can't say I am "waiting" for it though. My laptop works perfectly right now but I will upgrade then.
I am hoping that by then 256GB SSD and 8GB of ram come standard on even the cheapest Apple laptops.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
There will probably be a very good performance improvement, with little regression in battery life. Judging from history, apple engineers don't seem to be fond of battery life regressions.

Of course not, then they might have to make it slightly thicker or heavier because of a bigger battery. They don't like that.

----------

Also, why not wait for Cannonlake? It'll be 10 or so nm.

:D

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
We know that Intel is planning on using something other than silicon for chips. We know that it is planned to go down to 7 or maybe 5 nm. We don't have specifics, but I don't think I want to use the first non-silicon chips.

chrizzz09

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
Germany
All the talks about integrated Graphics....
In 10-20 years i will tell my kids that back in my days, we used to have a dedicated chip for high performance graphics, and they would be like "haha, seriously dad? You had an EXTRA card for that in your pc/notebook? That's so retro..."

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Original poster
All the talks about integrated Graphics....
In 10-20 years i will tell my kids that back in my days, we used to have a dedicated chip for high performance graphics, and they would be like "haha, seriously dad? You had an EXTRA card for that in your pc/notebook? That's so retro..."

It could be possible at that time that they'd be like

"What the hell's a notebook"? It could be possible that tablets kill off laptops completely. I mean high-resolution displays, capable and low-power processors, portable keyboards, styluses for graphic work, etc.

Reactions: RohirrimV

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Rumoured, based on the specs from wikipedia:
- 2015 launch
- Chips will use the 14 nm process node. Expect some decent battery life
- Support for DDR4 memory
- Support for PCIe 4.0

I also think that this will be the model where dGPUs and Apple will part ways in notebooks. I don't think we'll see a dedicated GPU, even as a BTO option.

What are your thoughts?

It's so far in the future that it's not even worth speculating. Broadwell is already delayed so presumably it will have a knock-on effect with it's successor.

I am waiting for my Haswell-based rMBP to be delivered so I honestly don't care about Broadwell, Skylake or even Cannonlake right now.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
It could be possible at that time that they'd be like

"What the hell's a notebook"? It could be possible that tablets kill off laptops completely. I mean high-resolution displays, capable and low-power processors, portable keyboards, styluses for graphic work, etc.

Macs won't die while Apple continues to try to keep them as two separate things. :p

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
It's so far in the future that it's not even worth speculating. Broadwell is already delayed so presumably it will have a knock-on effect with it's successor.

I am waiting for my Haswell-based rMBP to be delivered so I honestly don't care about Broadwell, Skylake or even Cannonlake right now.

I think the reason they put it back is because they're moving down to 14nm. I don't think they'll have a push back in Skylake, they'll already have the factories tooled down to 14nm.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Macs won't die while Apple continues to try to keep them as two separate things. :p

Because currently, it makes no sense to do so. Microsoft has proven it the hard way.

But imagine later on, when ARM chips will be capable of desktop-class professional applications like maya, photoshop, and stuff like that; and when the GPUs are capable of very high performance OpenCL (>1.5 TFLOPS) and gaming.

If there are bigger iPads as rumoured, and there are styluses for creative professionals to draw, select, and write with great precision, then they can make for great content-creation devices on-the-go and even have a benefit with education systems.

Jobs had the vision of a post-pc era, but it shouldn't be rushed out like the way Microsoft are trying to. But I think that the iMac and the Mac Pro, (and possibly the 15" MBP) are here to stay.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Because currently, it makes no sense to do so. Microsoft has proven it the hard way.

But imagine later on, when ARM chips will be capable of desktop-class professional applications like maya, photoshop, and stuff like that; and when the GPUs are capable of very high performance OpenCL (>1.5 TFLOPS) and gaming.

If there are bigger iPads as rumoured, and there are styluses for creative professionals to draw, select, and write with great precision, then they can make for great content-creation devices on-the-go and even have a benefit with education systems.

Jobs had the vision of a post-pc era, but it shouldn't be rushed out like the way Microsoft are trying to. But I think that the iMac and the Mac Pro, (and possibly the 15" MBP) are here to stay.

Except there's more to the Mac right now than simply the power that's given by intel. If they moved to ARM, they'd essentially kill the Mac. Wanna run photoshop? Another browser? Pretty much anything? x86 or x64.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Except there's more to the Mac right now than simply the power that's given by intel. If they moved to ARM, they'd essentially kill the Mac. Wanna run photoshop? Another browser? Pretty much anything? x86 or x64.

They can announce it a year or so in advance, and give enough time for the devs to rebuild it for ARM. It's not like x86 will be present for the rest of eternity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.