Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michielfm

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2011
Belgium
Hy there,

A close friend of mine is currently in the US for her education. Because of the iPhone costing 850 USD = 620 Euro in the US and 900 Euro in Belgium, we are planning on buying our iPhones in the US. So she will buy an unlocked iPhone 5S for her and one for me. Then she will travel to Belgium via Airplane. Now, I was wondering what the best way is to bring the iPhones to Belgium. Would it be best to put mine still in it's package in the main luggage (between the clothes) or would it be best to unpack the iphone like it is one for her personal usage and put it in the baggage that she carries with her on the plane? I just want to make sure that I don't have to pay any extra taxes..

Thanks a lot guys!
- I know about the fact that the LTE won't work in Belgium but I don't mind -

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
When I would travel and bring a phone or 2 to friends overseas, i would take them out of the package. Carry one with me, and other in carry on luggage. If they ask, just tell them that one is your personal phone and the other is work phone. I never brought the boxes. Just put the chargers and earpods in your luggage.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Hy there,

A close friend of mine is currently in the US for her education. Because of the iPhone costing 850 USD = 620 Euro in the US and 900 Euro in Belgium, we are planning on buying our iPhones in the US. So she will buy an unlocked iPhone 5S for her and one for me. Then she will travel to Belgium via Airplane. Now, I was wondering what the best way is to bring the iPhones to Belgium. Would it be best to put mine still in it's package in the main luggage (between the clothes) or would it be best to unpack the iphone like it is one for her personal usage and put it in the baggage that she carries with her on the plane? I just want to make sure that I don't have to pay any extra taxes..

Thanks a lot guys!

Take both phones out of the box and have her carry the phones with her in her purse. You can put the boxes in her luggage that's going to be checked in. In any case, if you don't need the boxes you can just have her leave that behind and just take the phone and accessories.

Michielfm

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2011
Belgium
Take both phones out of the box and have her carry the phones with her in her purse. You can put the boxes in her luggage that's going to be checked in. In any case, if you don't need the boxes you can just have her leave that behind and just take the phone and accessories.

So why should she carry the phone with her then? Why not just put them in her luggage?

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
So why should she carry the phone with her then? Why not just put them in her luggage?

Although I don't want to make assumptions about anyone, this is just good policy to protect yourself and your belongings. Anything that's valuable should be with you at all times.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Although I don't want to make assumptions about anyone, this is just good policy to protect yourself and your belongings. Anything that's valuable should be with you at all times.

Absolutely! It's not just TSA you have to worry about, it's the baggage handlers and anyone who comes near you luggage. People can easily just grab your luggage at the baggage carousel and leave.

badman89

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
Hy there,

Thanks a lot guys!

Buying your iPhone from a foreign country may not be such a good idea because the warranty is only valid in the country where you purchased it.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Buying your iPhone from a foreign country may not be such a good idea because the warranty is only valid in the country where you purchased it.

I'm not so sure about this one. I bought an iPad 2 in the US for my mother-in-law in the UK. It got disabled during the upgrade to iOS 7. She took it to her local Apple Store in the UK and they fixed it (reinstalled iOS), no charge. They can look up the purchase details worldwide I believe.

badman89

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
I'm not so sure about this one. I bought an iPad 2 in the US for my mother-in-law in the UK. It got disabled during the upgrade to iOS 7. She took it to her local Apple Store in the UK and they fixed it (reinstalled iOS), no charge. They can look up the purchase details worldwide I believe.

Your mother in law just got lucky.

Don't think this is true.

It is most definitely true. Here is a direct quote from Apple's warranty policy. Source: http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/iphone-english.html

IMPORTANT RESTRICTION FOR iPHONE AND iPAD SERVICE.

Apple may restrict warranty service for iPhone and iPad to the country where Apple or its Authorized Distributors originally sold the device.

I am not stating anything controversial. This is a well known fact and it has been discussed many times on this forum and elsewhere. Example: https://discussions.apple.com/message/18490807#18490807

Michielfm

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2011
Belgium
Thanks everyone for the help!

Here is what I think I can conclude from this topic, correct me if I'm wrong.

If I want to buy my iPhone in the US (which gives me a lower price but limited services) then I should throw away the boxes, put the earpods and the chargers in the luggage and take the 2 phones with me on the plane? If any questions where asked, one phone is or personal use the other for university usage.

Is this correct?

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Before I bought the iphone or mac in the US or Canada I would ask the employee if the warranty would still be valid if back in the UK and ask for it in writing incase of any issues.

No idea why it would be an issue as people relocate with their products and gifts are bought all the time, its only limiting your business by restricting customers.

As for Software I would also ask if I can just pop into a UK Apple store and get the relevant software installed. Apple should accommodate.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Thanks everyone for the help!

Here is what I think I can conclude from this topic, correct me if I'm wrong.

If I want to buy my iPhone in the US (which gives me a lower price but limited services) then I should throw away the boxes, put the earpods and the chargers in the luggage and take the 2 phones with me on the plane? If any questions where asked, one phone is or personal use the other for university usage.

Is this correct?

NEVER put electronics in your checked in luggage. They can easily be stolen from your bags.

Have your friend unbox both phones and carry them with her on the plane. If asked, one cell is for work and the other is personal.

Gin Gin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
Never put anything valuable or important in checked luggage, period. Things get stolen out of checked luggage, and electronics are a prime target. Besides theft, checked luggage can get lost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.