Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Hey all,

Both disc-based iLife and iWork suites installs adds folders under /Library/Application Support as well as ~/Library/Application Support and was wondering if these files are still needed if I upgraded already to the Mac App Store versions. Overall, they take about a 2.5gb of space.

My understanding is that Mac App Store apps are self-incapsulated and should contain all the resources within the bundle but want to be sure before I go ahead and start deleting stuff that could bork these apps.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Sorry had to modify my post as I made a confusion between Library/Application support and Library/Frameworks…

After a clean install of 10.9 to an external hard drive, I did not install iPhoto nor iMovie on it (I do not have a iLife09 DVD).

I just copied iPhoto.app 9.4.3 and iMovie.app 9.0.9 to the /Applications folder, then went to the App Store and got the updates for free.

The updated applications (iPhoto 9.5 and iMovie 10.0) are fully functional.

I don't have any of these iLife files in /Library/Frameworks on Mavericks :

Mountain Lion / Library / Frameworks :

Mavericks / Library / Frameworks, there are no iLife folders :

Mountain Lion / Library / Applications Support :

Mavericks / Library / Applications Support (no iLifeSlideshow, no iPhoto folder, despite iPhoto 9.5 being installed) :

Conclusion : I think your understanding is correct.

Last edited:

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Thanks for that. Deleted all that extra stuff not needed anymore.

Interesting thing to note it that the iLifemediabrowser folder is there. Don't know if part of default OS install or iLife. When I deleted it, I could no longer browse media in iWork, so I had to restore it from backup to get that functionality back.

EDIT: After some research, iLifeMediaBrowser is part of the OS itself and should not be deleted or else iLife files can't be seen by other applications.

Last edited:

SolarCanoe

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2008
are the current keynote/pages still part of iWork? I'm wondering if I can delete all this ilife junk on my computer. Im running El Capitan and all my Apple made apps are current

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
My understanding is that Mac App Store apps are self-incapsulated and should contain all the resources within the bundle but want to be sure before I go ahead and start deleting stuff that could bork these apps.
They still use frameworks in the OS, and save preferences in your user folder, etc., just like apps from discs - There is no difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.