Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedlegsFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
I have a leather Vuscape for my iPad 3 and I love the thing. I am going to be getting an iPad Air and I see the Vuscape is being released by Targus for the Air. Targus shows it on their website but it's also on Amazon and the pictures are better. But there's something strange going on with the bottom of the case. It appears to have some strange lip near where the home button is. Check it out here.. Does it look like a decent sized lip? Or, am I seeing things. I can't pull the trigger on this until I figure out if it's an optical allusion or not...

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Ultra-Twill-Vuscape-THZ195US/dp/B00F5OG39S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382810386&sr=8-1&keywords=Targus+Vuscape+ipad+air

71tqAV-dn6L._SL1500_.jpg

giraffeboy27

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2013
The photo above is not even an iPad air. I'd steer clear of it til proper photos have been put up on amazon.

RedlegsFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Yeah - I figured to get the jump on things they photoshopped this bad boy up, but still... that lip! That's keeping me from purchasing. It would be nice to have it here when I get an iPad Air, but I'm going to have to wait this out and see how it actually looks non-photoshopped.

keigo

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
Yeah - I figured to get the jump on things they photoshopped this bad boy up, but still... that lip! That's keeping me from purchasing. It would be nice to have it here when I get an iPad Air, but I'm going to have to wait this out and see how it actually looks non-photoshopped.

I think the lip is for protection and holding the ipad.

Look gd and I'm consider this also. Had Marware for my Ipad 3 total disappoint on the qty, the edge crack twice on 2 different case for no reason not even a knock or anything.

casepert

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2013
Guys, forget that lip. I'm 100% sure there will has no that lip on actual case.
There are many manufactures who are producing this model, we call them "heat-shelling".
This model is a good choice cause there's no plastic part, usually, plastic part will be aged after years if the quality is not so good...

RedlegsFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
I just went ahead and grabbed it. The black one. Figured what the heck, I will take a chance and if I like, at least I will have a case ready to go when I get the Air. If not, I'll return and find something else. Odds are I will like it.

I had the old version for the iPad 3 and loved it. It was more of a leather finish instead of twill, but it lasted for 2 years and still looks almost brand new.

tmolloy

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
I just went ahead and grabbed it. The black one. Figured what the heck, I will take a chance and if I like, at least I will have a case ready to go when I get the Air. If not, I'll return and find something else. Odds are I will like it.

I had the old version for the iPad 3 and loved it. It was more of a leather finish instead of twill, but it lasted for 2 years and still looks almost brand new.

Any idea how heavy it is? I love that style case but I don't really want to add a bunch of weight to the Air.

RedlegsFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Well, it adds a little bulk, but it's enough that I could deal with (I am referring to the Vuscape for my iPad 3). I thought it was really sleep though, very compact. When I have it closed it's tight. As I stated earlier, the older version (leather ver) looks brand new still to this day. Not sure how this Twill material will hold up, but hopefully they release a leather version sooner rather than later.

I will be happy to post some pics after it's received and on the Air.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
I've just received my Targus Versavu iPad Air case today. Thought I would post some pictures and some info about it.

It does not have the magnets in the cover to auto sleep/wake the iPad's screen. I went around the case with a paper clip and there was no area where the paper clip got attracted against.

I have a thin magnet off of a fridge magnet. I expect it would be easy enough to cut a little nick into the inside of the cover and slide the magnet underneath the fabric to then give you the auto sleep/wake functionality.

Here's some pictures I took of the case:

Outer packaging:

IMG_0125.png

Retaining lip to hold the band which holds the cover closed:

IMG_0095.png

IMG_0093.png

The Versavu provides 5 possible viewing angles which are the 3 provided with the ridges, 1 from lift up tab, and 1 from the collapsed view this one would be more for typing I would feel.

Various viewing landscape viewing angles:

Collapsed typing view:

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

Tucked under tab landscape position:

IMG_0119.png

Portrait viewing angles:

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

Other pictures of the case:

IMG_0097.png

IMG_0099.png

IMG_0086.png

IMG_0091.png

RedlegsFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Nice case. That's basically the vuscape, minus the leather and attachment to rotate the iPad. I can't believe they did not include the sleep/wake feature as I would consider that case a premium case.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Nice case. That's basically the vuscape, minus the leather and attachment to rotate the iPad. I can't believe they did not include the sleep/wake feature as I would consider that case a premium case.

Yeah I thought it was a bit odd to not include it. Perhaps they are playing safe and not including it as Apple moved the sleep/wake sensor on the iPad 3 and they were unsure if they had done the same with the iPad Air.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Fatboy 71:

Thanks for the informative post. Cases seem like a dilemma. You want to protect the Air, but not weigh it down too much.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Thanks for the informative post. Cases seem like a dilemma. You want to protect the Air, but not weigh it down too much.

My iPad rarely leaves the house so protection is not the main concern with a case for me. I use the iPad a lot while I'm in bed or sitting on the sofa, so I want a case that will provide me with hands free viewing, multiple viewing angles, and I feel the Versavu will provide this and the important portrait orientation too, and in the process not adding a lot of bulk. :)

RedlegsFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Interesting. I just checked the features for the new vuscape and the sleep/wake function is not mentioned. Not sure I am a fan of that, I may cancel and just wait to find something in the stores....

RedlegsFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Just got confirmation that the Targus cases above will NOT ship with a sleep/wake function, unfortunately. Whether or not that feature will be added later on down the line is unknown. This is according to Targus support via Chat.

That stinks.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
I'm planning on doing a small mod on my Versavu to give me the sleep/wake feature when I close the cover.

I've ordered some small 6mm x 1mm thick disc magnets. I'm planning on putting a tiny nick into the inside of Versavu and sliding 1 or more of these magnets under the lining.

From what I have read with the iPad mini, it has two sleep/wake sensors/magnets. The sleep/wake magnets/sensors have been moved to the right of the home button and another is towards the bottom right edge of the bezel. I'm expecting this to be the case too with the iPad Air with it having the slimmer bezel/surround that the iPad mini has. Once I receive my iPad Air I'll find the location on the sleep/wake sensors with the magnets and I'll then do the mod to my Versavu case.

When I've done the mod, I'll post back if I've been successful and the pictures too.

Last edited:

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Not had a chance to do the mod yet. But playing around with a couple of magnets I have found that one of the sleep/wake sensors/magnets is just to the right of the home button. But the other one I have found is actually under the screen and not under the bezel like it was on the mini.

If you put the iPad Air in portrait view just above the top and right edge of the dock line, this is where the second sensor/magnet is. You need a magnet on both postitions for to activate the sleep/wake.

Also, I did not have the Lock/Unlock option showing in Settings/General until I found the correct position for the magnets/sensors, after I had found the correct positions the option showed up.

I'll try and post a video to show the sensor positions at a later date.

N23

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2009
Just got confirmation that the Targus cases above will NOT ship with a sleep/wake function, unfortunately. Whether or not that feature will be added later on down the line is unknown. This is according to Targus support via Chat.

That stinks.

That's a shame. I loved the Vuscape for my 3 and was looking forward to buying it for my Air.

jpiszcz

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2010
Issues?

There are some pretty bad reviews on Amazon:

Specifically:
"Bought this case yesterday for my new ipad air, the leather like tag on the inside of the screen cover has already damaged my screen protector. The rubber band strap will not stay in the tiny grove on the outside of the case."

Has anyone who has one of these cases experienced the same problem?

"I upgraded from my iPad 3 to my iPad Air today and decided to get the Targus VersaVu case as I have been very happy with the one for my iPad 3. I have only had it for a few hours, but am most likely going to return it. Let's start with the good, seems to be a well built case, very slim line, holds the iPad in securely. Now on to the bad. The replaced the rotating mechanism from the previous generation case which use to leave a hold for the Apple logo to show through with a solid cover now. The effect is not only not showing the logo, but the hole that used to be there also served as a good finger hold to hold the case while carrying it. As another reviewer stated, they replaced the old strap that used to hold the case closed with a glorified hair band and terrible groove that is incredibly difficult to get the band to stay in to close the case. The speaker openings don't line up properly on the bottom of the case thus partically covering some of the holes for the speakers. The grooves that hold the iPad upright don't run the width of the case thus not holding the iPad upright as securely as I would like. And last, and to me this is a big one, no magnetic shut off so when you close the case, the iPad doesn't turn off. Overall, a major step back from the previous version."

Can someone else comment on this response as well?

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
There are some pretty bad reviews on Amazon:

Specifically:
"Bought this case yesterday for my new ipad air, the leather like tag on the inside of the screen cover has already damaged my screen protector. The rubber band strap will not stay in the tiny grove on the outside of the case."

Has anyone who has one of these cases experienced the same problem?

"I upgraded from my iPad 3 to my iPad Air today and decided to get the Targus VersaVu case as I have been very happy with the one for my iPad 3. I have only had it for a few hours, but am most likely going to return it. Let's start with the good, seems to be a well built case, very slim line, holds the iPad in securely. Now on to the bad. The replaced the rotating mechanism from the previous generation case which use to leave a hold for the Apple logo to show through with a solid cover now. The effect is not only not showing the logo, but the hole that used to be there also served as a good finger hold to hold the case while carrying it. As another reviewer stated, they replaced the old strap that used to hold the case closed with a glorified hair band and terrible groove that is incredibly difficult to get the band to stay in to close the case. The speaker openings don't line up properly on the bottom of the case thus partically covering some of the holes for the speakers. The grooves that hold the iPad upright don't run the width of the case thus not holding the iPad upright as securely as I would like. And last, and to me this is a big one, no magnetic shut off so when you close the case, the iPad doesn't turn off. Overall, a major step back from the previous version."

Can someone else comment on this response as well?

I didn't get the Vuscape case, (I got the Versavu which is very similar, see the earlier pictures).

Has I never owned an earlier model of the case I can’t comment on the removal of the hole which used to show the Apple logo. I personally don’t find the case is difficult to hold because of the hole been no longer there, I actually find the case is easier to hold (than my iPad 3’s case) due to the iPad Air’s smaller size and inventible the smaller case.

The new band I actually like. When I look at earlier models of the Versavu case, I must admit that I disliked the old large band that Targus used to use. I noticed on a couple of reviews for it that the band looked like it got in the way somewhat when the case was in it’s typing angle. With the new band, yes you have to look when your latching the band around the groove, but with cases with a press studded latch you still have to look when your closing it to make sure you are latching it closed in the right place. The good thing I like with the new band is, when you unlatch the band, it springs back and sits pretty much flush with the edge of the cover, doing this, means it isn’t in the way like the old band was.

On my case, the speaker holes line up perfectly (see the below pictures).

The grooves that hold the iPad upright do not run the full width of the case, but the reason for this is because the cover of the case bevels slightly on the extreme edges. I have owned a few iPad cases, and I find the Versavu to hold my iPad more securely upright than the other cases I have owned. The grooves on the Versavu are quite deep though, and also along the landscape edge and portrait edge of where the iPad Air sits, is a little pertruding ridge (for want of a better word) which presses up against the edge of the groove to hold it upright more securely.

The only negative I have for the case is, if you put the Versavu into portrait view and try and put the iPad into the most upright groove, the iPad is top heavy and falls over, but do the same in landscape view and there is no problem.

Re the magnetic sleep/wake. I was disappointed that the Versavu did not have this feature. What I did was I purchased some 6mm x 1mm (thick) Neodymium magnets. I basically found the correct positions for the magnets to activate the sleep/wake sensor, and I then cut a tiny nick into the lining and I then pushed the magnet into the nick that I had made. I recorded a short video showing the magnet placements and the finished result and I’ll add this video onto this thread when I have more time to upload it.

Showing the bevelled edge of the extreme edge of the case:

10721830466_bd25cc5837_b.jpg

Speaker openings:

10721828424_f33b079709_b.jpg

Pertruding lip that sits into the groove:

10721742125_4e96545c95_b.jpg

Last edited:

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Targus Versavu DIY sleep/wake magnet install.

The Targus Versavu case does not come with magnets pre installed to activate the sleep/wake feature of the iPad Air.

With some 6mm x 1mm (thick) Neodymium magnets, I install these in the case and make it sleep/wake the iPad when the cover is opened and closed.

Although I show 2 magnets taped to the case, when I actually cut a nick in the case and installed the magnets under the lining, 1 magnet was enough to activate the sleep/wake feature.

Showing the magnets before installed under the lining:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y63HXCP_JgI&feature=youtu.be

I made a nick into the lining with a craft knife, I then slide the magnet under the lining. In this video you can see the finished results.

http://youtu.be/1Jk3jKuvk-4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.