Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gretschdrummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
I am using the new version of Garageband (which is very slow) and there is a small issue I am facing.

I can monitor my MIDI keyboard with my sustain pedal just fine, but when I record, the sustain is all gone and only the notes are played with the current effects I have. So basically: Monitor/Not recording = Sustain; Recording = No sustain.

Any way to fix this? Thanks.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I am using the new version of Garageband (which is very slow) and there is a small issue I am facing.

I can monitor my MIDI keyboard with my sustain pedal just fine, but when I record, the sustain is all gone and only the notes are played with the current effects I have. So basically: Monitor/Not recording = Sustain; Recording = No sustain.

Any way to fix this? Thanks.

Details? What keyboard, how does it connect. Have you looked at the actual midi events to see what is being sent. Do you have this same problem with all virtual instrument?

gretschdrummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Details? What keyboard, how does it connect. Have you looked at the actual midi events to see what is being sent. Do you have this same problem with all virtual instrument?
It is a Yamaha DGX-640 that is connected to my computer's USB input. The sustain will not record on any software instrument, nor is there anything in the MIDI events. All I see are the notes that I pressed and how long I held them with my hand, not with the sustain pedal. The sustain pedal works fine when I monitor, however.

gretschdrummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Good news!

I tried a different keyboard pedal and now the sustain works and records in MIDI just fine!

rhgates

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2016
I'm having this same problem with an Arturia Analog Lab midi controller and a 1/4" plug sustain pedal. What sustain pedal did you buy that solved your problem?

Thanks,

Henri

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.