Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maber711

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2013
Australia
Hello,
First of all I have a MacBook Pro
- Processor 2 GHz Intel Core i7,
- Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
- Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
- Software OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)
- 499 GB hard drive (163GB free)

I am in no way qualified to do anything on this computer I know nothing about Mac's in general so I really need help.

I originally had Snow Leopard and upgraded to Mountain Lion upon its release. My computer did start to go a tad slower after that.

Then in my super lazy way I didn't even release my hard drive was full until well until it was. So I just freed up 163GB but now my computer is a mess!

It takes ages to start up, its clunky and slow and It wont let me log into the App store it just keeps loading and loading.

I verified the disk and it says it needs no repairs. Ive used clean genius pro and disc diet to try and clean/fix it.

I have a Snow Leopard installation disc can I re-install snow leopard and just start again if that makes sense? lol I mean is my computer too old for Mountain Lion? And not even in the realm of Mavericks?

Please help :)

schmibibi

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2013
My experience with mac has been thus: Never touch a running system.
I know there are a lot of people who update, but as long as I'm happy with the operating system my hardware was designed for, I don't change a thing. That has served me well. I find I can get a good 7-8 years out of a mac machine before technology advances so far that the computer starts to get bogged down by too many demands. My PC's only ever lasted half as long before slowing up, and I always felt like I was troubleshooting from day 1.

As for a Mavericks update: If you really want to try it, I would wait a while, no matter what. The first version of a new OS is always plagued with bugs.

If I were you, I would probably choose to install the original operating system the computer came with and see if that solved the problem. I've stuck with Snow Leopard for the last four years and it still works like a charm.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
buy any ssd. get an opti bay adapter.
get some screwdrivers and take the optical out.
put the hdd in the optibay and the ssd in its place.
upgrade ram while ur at it.
migrate os to ssd and upgrade to mavericks.
enjoy :D

cost: 200-,
keeps ur mbp running for at least another 3 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.