Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pengapine

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011

Claude68

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2013
This solved my problem

had the same problem and could solve it:

Installed OS X Mavericks on an external HD and booted the MacBook Pro from that HD by pressing CMD - R.

Open Disk Utility; Restore HD of the MacBook Pro: Source: External HD Partition with the Mac OS - Target: MacBook Pro HD.

Next time booting from the internal HD - worked fine.

otomo

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2013
I know this an old thread, but in case anyone runs into the issue, the computer's clock may be an invalid date/time - I had this happen and used this method:

http://blog.mconserv.net/2013/10/install-os-x-mavericks-application-cant.html

The key is to open the Terminal from the installer drive and use the date command - the format is 'date MMDDHHMMYYYY', so today would be 'date 111311462014'

Two years on, this is an even older thread!

I'm getting the correct date in in Terminal (except my timezone is EST, not PST), but still getting the "This copy of the Install OS X Mavericks application can't be verified.."

Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 10.02.47 AM.jpg

And setting today's date to today's date doesn't get rid of this error. Does it want an older date than the present? Am I supposed to lie about the date in order for the Mavericks installer to work? Should I take my Mac to a PST timezone and install from there? Or should I just re-download the Mavericks installer from the app store and try again?

Reactions: Altis

otomo

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2013
Well I changed the date to February 1, 2016 and proceeded to install Mavericks. Got as far as the Welcome screen to pick my region, and then on the choose network screen I choose my Wifi access point and entered my password and it couldn't connect, and then after getting as far as the register your Mac screen it looped back to the Welcome/choose region screen. Went through all the selections again and looped back there a third time and I turned it off.

otomo

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2013
If you redownload the installer again it will have a valid signature and will not give you this error.

Re-downloaded and left installing overnight onto a microSD card. Checked this morning to find grey screen with apple logo and grey lined spinning icon. Waited 20 minutes and powered off and re-booted. Now boot is halted on darker grey screen and spinning rainbow ball.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Re-downloaded and left installing overnight onto a microSD card. Checked this morning to find grey screen with apple logo and grey lined spinning icon. Waited 20 minutes and powered off and re-booted. Now boot is halted on darker grey screen and spinning rainbow ball.
That'd be a different problem than the invalid signature on your older installer.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Command + V keys held down at boot to get a text boot so you will see where it is failing and can post the results.

otomo

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2013
The disk2s2 was aborted is the error and since that is usually the main system volume on an OSX drive it looks like it is messed up try the page below to see if you can fix it.

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110216112523818

Per that page I ran disk repair twice and then boot got past the verbose boot screen to a dark grey screen with the spinning rainbow ball. That went on for 10-15 minutes before I shut down last night. Booting to the recovery volume this morning (disk2s3) in verbose mode to run disk repair... two more times... three... four?

Update: noticed in verbose boot a recommendation to run chkdsk on disk1 (which is a bootcamp volume), so running that now. It says "the volume is dirty." Not sure how disk1 could affect booting on disk2 SD card, but I've got no other ideas.

Update 1048am: Finally reached the Mavericks wave desktop after running repair disk on disk2s2 eight times and on disk0 once.

Update Nov13: After booting into Mavericks, found the system sluggish, installed Blackmagic Disk Speed Test and found the write speed to be a sluggish 12 MB/s.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.