Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This thread is partly in response to a deeply depressing and unremittingly negative thread entitled 'What ANNOYS You The Most':

I thought to offer a little karmic balance and create a thread with a different centre of (emotional, mental, psychological, physical) gravity: Thus, my question is, what gives you greatest pleasure, or joy? What uplifts you, enables you to feel that life is a gift, a privilege, something to be savoured, shared (sometimes) and treasured? Enjoyed, and relished?

For me, some of it is seeing new things, and countries, travelling and exploring different cultures and polities. It is the learning of new skills, and reading new, challenging books. I love good dinners, (good wine, conversation, food) with good friends and indeed, my brothers. And music.

And sometimes, it is the sheer banal pleasure of savouring the mundane matters of life; such as walking into a well stocked book-shop, a place where I can lose myself for hours. Or sitting, relaxing, in elegant or cosy coffee shops, which to me rank one of civilisation's greatest inventions. Laughter with friends, in a good pub, or elsewhere.

Museums, theatres, and art galleries (ever come out of a performance stunned into silence, so transcendental was what you have seen or experienced? I have, and sometimes, silence is the only appropriate response to such an experience).

There are other things I love, and which give me great pleasure, on occasion. Solitude. Walks by the sea, studying the crashing waves. Writing....

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
This thread is partly in response to a deeply depressing and unremittingly negative thread entitled 'What ANNOYS You The Most':

I thought to offer a little karmic balance and create a thread with a different centre of (emotional, mental, psychological, physical) gravity: Thus, my question is, what gives you greatest pleasure, or joy? What uplifts you, enables you to feel that life is a gift, a privilege, something to be savoured, shared (sometimes) and treasured? Enjoyed, and relished?

For me, some of it is seeing new things, and countries, travelling and exploring different cultures and polities. It is the learning of new skills, and reading new, challenging books. I love good dinners, (good wine, conversation, food) with good friends and indeed, my brothers. And music.

And sometimes, it is the sheer banal pleasure of savouring the mundane matters of life; such as walking into a well stocked book-shop, a place where I can lose myself for hours. Or sitting, relaxing, in elegant or cosy coffee shops, which to me rank one of civilisation's greatest inventions. Laughter with friends, in a good pub, or elsewhere.

Museums, theatres, and art galleries (ever come out of a performance stunned into silence, so transcendental was what you have seen or experienced? I have, and sometimes, silence is the only appropriate response to such an experience).

There are other things I love, and which give me great pleasure, on occasion. Solitude. Walks by the sea, studying the crashing waves. Writing....

When I have some success with a patient, I truly get a huge sense of pleasure. Knowing that I have had a positive impact on the life of another individual is really a rush. It may be a small impact on the world, but it what I have to offer. The sociologist C. Wright Mills said, in response to the comment that "sociology is the systematic distortion of the obvious" that psychology " is the glorification of the trial case". That may be true...but for me that "trivial case" is a human being sitting before me, and helping tham improve the quality of their life is a charge!

On a less significant level, pulling a great double shot, offering help to others who are developing an interest in coffee, communicating with friends, and at the risk of sounding like a kiss up...reading Scepticalscribe's posts!:D

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Music, writing, video games and sex. Pretty much covers all I try to do. I also love the satisfaction I feel when I complete writing a book and see it for the first time when the paperback proofs arrive.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
I love the simple pleasures, to have a good meal, a decent bottle of wine with friends & family. Time with my children and grand children, watching them growing up and helping were I can. Seeing fantastic artwork or spectacular places through out the world in real time, that I had only previously only seen on TV or in books.
To read a good book, or to listen to great music, to go the theatre the ballet or to the opera.

Just watching the young lambs bounce around in spring, or the first snowdrop as winter ends. A rainbow the smell of freshly cut grass. Warm soup on a killer cold day, the smell and taste of freshly made coffee.

Watching my children open their presents on Sint Nicholas day or their birthdays. Flying a kite, watching my cat try to get in a box that is far to small for her.

Winning a bid on ebay, starting up my classic car after the winter break. BarBQ’s on long summer evenings.

The taste of Belgium Special Beers in a Bruin Cafe, to finish a jigsaw, to see a beautiful woman walk by. Evenings by a river in the countryside, sunsets over the oceans. I could go on but you get the picture, I try to live life to the full.

I am now 68 years old, and when I look back at my life I’ve been very lucky.

I am a Happybunny.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
When I have some success with a patient, I truly get a huge sense of pleasure. Knowing that I have had a positive impact on the life of another individual is really a rush. It may be a small impact on the world, but it what I have to offer. ......
On a less significant level, pulling a great double shot, offering help to others who are developing an interest in coffee, communicating with friends, and at the risk of sounding like a kiss up...reading Scepticalscribe's posts!:D

Aw, thanks very much for your kind words. Appreciated, (and cherished) as always. Your own posts convey a life of knowledge and richly lived experience, wry tolerance and deep understanding of the human condition, along with much wisdom, too.....

Coffee and conversation (with friends) really do mark a life well lived; well, to my mind, they do, and are sources of endless but immensely enjoyable, small agreeable, pleasures in life....

Seriously, though, I do know what you mean about the 'rush' of knowing that you have had a positive impact on the life of some individual. When I was teaching, there were a few - what I privately termed 'lightbulb' moments, when you just knew you had flicked on the mental equivalent of a switch in a student's head, and experienced the pleasure of watching comprehension dawning, and eyes widening, and realising as a consequence that this kid would never view the world in quite the same way. Utterly deeply, richly, and intensely rewarding, and one of the real reasons why those in the so-called 'caring professions' put up with an awful lot of nonsense in the rest of their working lives......

That - almost visceral - pleasure, called 'job satisfaction' in some quarters, is what made teaching worthwhile for me. And yes, for a long time, I must admit that I absolutely loved it.

The miracle of life all around you although, most of the time, you never take time to see it.

Lovely post, and I agree with you.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Spending time with close friends and lovers and sharing fine wine and a superlative meal with them. A hot cup of coffee, a cold glass of water, and an enthralling book. Sitting outside and observing. Hiking the high country of Yosemite in complete silence with people I love.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....

Writing stories with my characters and/or creating new ones. Now if I can make a living from this one day, great.

Cooking for my mom, it means a lot to give back to her. And she enjoys what I make.

Getting lost in a movie, tv show or a comic with fantastic characters.

Being inspired to learn something new in History from music, movies etc.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
family and some other stuff.

music. playing music, listening to music, talking about music.

and coffee. while listening and/or talking about music.

and my family. loves me some wife and kiddos.

so, yeah... music. :D

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I tend to be more of a solitary man, cue Neil Diamond, so I enjoy time to myself often and especially so after a long work day. I like writing, or blogging, but don't find that I create enough time to do it as much as I like to. MacRumors tends to draw my focus away a lot. But when I do sit down and get to it, I like the clicking and clacking of the keys on my keyboard as words begin to flow from my mind to my fingers and appear before my eyes on the screen.

Equally I enjoy reading and find myself reading two or three books at the same time, rather than reading them sequentially.

I thoroughly enjoy a good cup of fresh coffee and even the messy preparation and cleanup that accompanies it.

I like a good movie or TV show.

The Autumn colors are wonderfully beautiful and bring me pleasure when I drive along the road taking in all the colors of the season and breathing in the brisk, cool air.

Great conversations with friends are quite enjoyable when I can get one of them to sit down and engage in a deeper or even just a detailed discussion about any topic.

Thinking on things even brings pleasure as I get to exercise my mind. Often I like to ponder the vastness of the universe and wonder what it would be like to be able to travel the galaxy in a way portrayed in Star Trek. To be able to approach new worlds, stars, nebulas and such would be most fascinating to me.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Fulfilment. Doing something worth while.

Spending time with my siblings, reading a good book, listening to good music, experiencing something new, travelling, spending time outdoors, working with my hands, getting involved with a good creative project etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.