Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Anyone use Postbox 3.0? How does it compare to the upgrade Mavericks Mail.app?

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
Anyone use Postbox 3.0? How does it compare to the upgrade Mavericks Mail.app?

I use Postbox 3.0.8. I don't particularly like Mail.app...Postbox has far more functionality and you can tweak it more to your liking. It's just sort of bloated and clunky feeling. The config editor in Postbox lets you delve in even deeper.

They both eat plenty of RAM if you have multiple large mailboxes.

There's a newish alternative http://airmailapp.com/ that some people here are using. I haven't tried it yet.

josh.b

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2013
I prefer mail.app because it is lighter in terms of cpu and memory usage. I don't need extra features for my email client and I like to stay with software that is integrated into the OS if possible.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I stopped using Postbox I think at version 2. I found the provided mail.app to meet my needs the best. Postbox isn't a bad product, I was just using mail.app more so I figured why upgrade since I'm not really using it.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Best E-Mail Client for Mavericks

With the removal of the ability to only view your e-mail online, I need to replace Apple Mail.

I have two gmail accounts (one free one for business). Any suggestions? I tried postbox but I didn't like how the layout was 3 columns instead of 2 columns with the message list above and the message body below and the left column has the accounts. (If that makes sense).

Any suggestions? Thanks

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
With the removal of the ability to only view your e-mail online, I need to replace Apple Mail.

I have two gmail accounts (one free one for business). Any suggestions? I tried postbox but I didn't like how the layout was 3 columns instead of 2 columns with the message list above and the message body below and the left column has the accounts. (If that makes sense).

Any suggestions? Thanks

Removal of what?!?

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
hes referring to Mail's new idiotic setup in Mavericks which has rendered Gmail with serious issues.

Its basically broken, and if your using Gmail on Mail in Mavericks now your HD will be constantly spooling as if its Spotlight indexing...good luck with keeping your HD alive for long.

Someone suggested turning off Mail and Messages in Spotlight, so i tried that but no difference, this was also after fully rebuilding my indexes.

Mail in Mavericks works very fast and well on non Gmail accounts after you remove it.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I'm still happy with Thunderbird. Works with just about every email service, is available on many platforms, and has never caused me serious problems. Even though the Mozilla Foundation has downscaled new feature development, it still receives regular updates with fixes and minor new features.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
hes referring to Mail's new idiotic setup in Mavericks which has rendered Gmail with serious issues.

Its basically broken, and if your using Gmail on Mail in Mavericks now your HD will be constantly spooling as if its Spotlight indexing...good luck with keeping your HD alive for long.

Someone suggested turning off Mail and Messages in Spotlight, so i tried that but no difference, this was also after fully rebuilding my indexes.

Mail in Mavericks works very fast and well on non Gmail accounts after you remove it.

I'm so confused. I don't remember doing anything special to get Gmail to work properly with Mail when I was using ML and since upgrading to Mavericks nothing has really changed for me. What exactly has changed that is so detrimental to my machine?

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
To the people confused about what I'm complaining about....

Basically, in Mountain Lion there was an option to not download mail locally to your machine. In Mavericks, it wants to download ALL your mail to your machine. Meaning, I will lose about 10 - 20 gigs because of my work gmail and my home gmail. I'm only on a 128GB SSD so I can't afford to lose space due to email.

In terms of the person recommending AirMail, does it need to download mail locally to your machine? Or can you just view online?

Thanks

Mel

Edit:

It still downloads mail locally with that fix. "As for hard drive space, well, that's a different matter." LOL

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Oh yeah now that you mention it I do remember changing some settings so that it wouldn't do that. But I think it's still possible to manually delete stored mail on your drive

leventozler

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2009
To the people confused about what I'm complaining about....

Basically, in Mountain Lion there was an option to not download mail locally to your machine. In Mavericks, it wants to download ALL your mail to your machine. Meaning, I will lose about 10 - 20 gigs because of my work gmail and my home gmail. I'm only on a 128GB SSD so I can't afford to lose space due to email.

In terms of the person recommending AirMail, does it need to download mail locally to your machine? Or can you just view online?

Thanks

Mel

Edit:

It still downloads mail locally with that fix. "As for hard drive space, well, that's a different matter." LOL

You can uncheck "automatically download all attachments" or limit IMAP folders in Gmail settings..

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Another plug for Thunderbird: It allows you to choose whether you want to download messages from an IMAP account or not. You can also set it to only keep messages from a certain time interval.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Sparrow or airmail. Sparrow is much better though.

I heard Sparrow is discontinued though. I'd rather not spend $10 bucks on a discontinued product.

You can uncheck "automatically download all attachments" or limit IMAP folders in Gmail settings..

Yeah but it still will download the text which I'm sure would be a bit. Maybe I should try that. And see how much space it takes up.

--------

Does AirMail allow for online use only?

--------

Edit: Ok, I unchecked Download All Attachments. Re-enabled my two gmail accounts. The Library/Mail/V2 folder had 20megs before I started... Let's see what it goes to :).

Edit Edit: It has only downloaded 2500 messages of 25000 and it's at 700megs already. I think this experiment does not need to go on any longer. I don't want to switch from Apple Mail but it's making me.

Last edited:

stisdal

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
USA

In this article is the following comment:

I have noticed another more annoying problem. I have always had AllMail present in the Mac Mail client. Now, when I move an email to a folder on my Mac (Mavericks mail app) the copy on Gmail is moved to the trash. That means that it will be deleted in 30 days from Gmail, and thus since it is an IMAP protocol, will also be deleted from my Mac. So, if I file an email in any folder on the Mac, it will disappear in 30 days. THIS is a real problem

Can anyone confirm this?

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
In this article is the following comment:

I have noticed another more annoying problem. I have always had AllMail present in the Mac Mail client. Now, when I move an email to a folder on my Mac (Mavericks mail app) the copy on Gmail is moved to the trash. That means that it will be deleted in 30 days from Gmail, and thus since it is an IMAP protocol, will also be deleted from my Mac. So, if I file an email in any folder on the Mac, it will disappear in 30 days. THIS is a real problem

Can anyone confirm this?

Anything moved to your local folders cannot be deleted automatically.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Looks like Thunderbird is doing what I need it to do. I'll check this out for a bit.

Edit: So close, but doesn't have support for Notification Center and it's notifications are just "1 new message"

Last edited:

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I'm so confused. I don't remember doing anything special to get Gmail to work properly with Mail when I was using ML and since upgrading to Mavericks nothing has really changed for me. What exactly has changed that is so detrimental to my machine?

Gmail actually works better in Mavericks than in Mountain Lion. In Mountain Lion, it was terrible. Archiving (the way Gmail does it) wasn't supported and delete didn't actually delete emails. And multiple labels on an email would result in duplicate emails in multiple folders.

What the previous posters are referring to only applies people who reconfigured some settings in Gmail and Mail to make it work better in Mountain Lion. Now that Apple made Mavericks work with Gmail the right way, the settings that some people used to try to fix it in ML throws everything off with the improved support now available for Gmail in Mavericks.

vishalduggal

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2012
Airmail is awesome, they updated it the day Mavericks came out.

Not too expensive to try either.

I tried Mail.app as well as Sparrow for whole year in Mountain Lion, tried Airmail on mavericks today and it's simply awesome. I am actually looking forward to read my emails in Airmail. LOL!

bwat47

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2013
Gmail actually works better in Mavericks than in Mountain Lion. In Mountain Lion, it was terrible. Archiving (the way Gmail does it) wasn't supported and delete didn't actually delete emails. And multiple labels on an email would result in duplicate emails in multiple folders.

What the previous posters are referring to only applies people who reconfigured some settings in Gmail and Mail to make it work better in Mountain Lion. Now that Apple made Mavericks work with Gmail the right way, the settings that some people used to try to fix it in ML throws everything off with the improved support now available for Gmail in Mavericks.

I still wouldn't say mavericks particularly handles it 'the right way', although it does do it better than it did before in some ways as you mentioned. In mavericks it downloads multiple copies of messages that have multiple labels on them. Its smart enough to intelligently hide the copies, but it still takes up extra drive space. This is especially bad for gmail, since gmail encourages people to never delete mail, so most people have a *ton* of messages in all mail, so having to download all of all mail, and multiple copies of things in all mail is far from ideal.

The fact that it can archive properly now is good though, but I still don't like using mail.app with gmail. the problems are generally more to do with gmail's weird non-standard imap implementation than mail itself though, and mail.app isn't the only app that has annoying issues/quirks with gmail (most do in my experience), which is why I ended up switching away from gmail. Gmail typically only works 100% properly with clients designed especially for gmail. I prefer using a mail service that uses a standard imap implementation, and therefore works with no issues and quirks in many different mail clients :)

For webmail gmail is awesome, but for IMAP its usually just annoying.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I tried Mail.app as well as Sparrow for whole year in Mountain Lion, tried Airmail on mavericks today and it's simply awesome. I am actually looking forward to read my emails in Airmail. LOL!

Does Airmail allow for online only reading? AKA no downloading of email to local storage? I still can't get an answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.