Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Old Oct 27, 2013, 12:56 PM   #1
imageWIS
macrumors 6502a

Magic Mouse Problems with Mavericks!

Is anyone else having major issues with the magic mouse on Mavericks? Often the mouse doesn't move properly, it stops allowing me to use the one-finger scroll and in Safari, the browser crashes if I try use the scroll back / forth finger swipe.

+
imageWIS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2013, 01:32 PM   #2
minnieoi
macrumors newbie

Magic mouse problems with mavericks

Loaded Mavericks yesterday, together with all the other updates also available.
Have found that the magic mouse response is at times very slow or even not responsive.
Also found that previously in iphoto I was able to move to next image by swiping the mouse sideways buit now this doesn't happen- have to reduce and click next image. Not sure whether this is a result of mavericks or the iphoto update. Anybody else with this issue?
minnieoi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2013, 01:54 PM   #3
SoloStyle
macrumors member

I've been experiencing the same problems and it seems that the bluetooth has been dropping intermittently. This happens with a magic mouse and other devices I have connected via bluetooth, such as a headset.

After the upgrade, the swipe back and forth finger swipe has been reset (turned off). You will need to go into System Preferences > Magic Mouse and Check it to turn it back on.
Macbook Pro/Mac Mini (2012)
SoloStyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2013, 02:05 PM   #4
minnieoi
macrumors newbie

Magic mouse problems with maverick.

Thanks for that, now works as it should.
Now why didn't I think of that. doh !!
minnieoi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2013, 02:18 PM   #5
imageWIS
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloStyle View Post
After the upgrade, the swipe back and forth finger swipe has been reset (turned off). You will need to go into System Preferences > Magic Mouse and Check it to turn it back on.
I did that the day I downloaded the OS. Still experiencing problems.
imageWIS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2013, 02:30 PM   #6
iraklis9
macrumors newbie

As i have stated in another topic my magic mouse scrolls when it feels like it. Scrolling up and down is often unresponsive. I will try changing the mouse (late 2013 imac so under warranty) to see if it's the mouse's fault or mavericks' and report back
iraklis9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2013, 01:08 AM   #7
dr2391
macrumors newbie

+1 for the back/forth gesture in safari and Xcode. Extremely annoying that I have to restart both when it happens... and it happens a lot. The extra monitor support is why I'm putting up with it.
dr2391 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2013, 03:57 AM   #8
Glenny2lappies
macrumors 6502

Many problems...

I've just bought a new Magic Mouse as I thought that my old one had problems with the click. Now the new one is playing around.

Specifics: I spend a lot of my time developing ASP.NET code using Visual Studio in VMWare 5. This has been fine and I've never noticed a problem with the mouse.

Upgrade to Mavericks and I now notice that the mouse does strangely intermittent selection behaviour; 9 times out of 10 it's fine, but then it'll do odd things such as selecting a whole paragraph, or selecting then de-selecting text. It's like the mouse switch is playing around.

Now I've bought a new mouse (at $90), it too seems to be playing up.

I've not noticed any mouse pointer issues. Firefox did stop scrolling whereas all other applications worked. This happened twice last week and hasn't happened since (I did a full reboot).

Has anyone else noticed this errant selection behaviour?
Glenny2lappies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2013, 04:10 AM   #9
Macman45
macrumors G5

Mines been fine since the upgrade. I have yet to try it on my rMBP though.

On the iMac it seems stable enough.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 08:18 AM   #10
eecyclone
macrumors regular

I haven't noticed any problems with my magic mouse. Moving, clicking, selecting, and gestures all seem to work as intended.
eecyclone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:03 AM   #11
daveg999
macrumors newbie

My magic mouse worked fine for about a week after upgrading to Mavericks. Now it stops, stutters and slows down. I have to turn of bluetooth and then turn it on again to get a few more minutes use before it repeats the problem. I have reset PRAM / SMC, un-paired / repaired. Fixed permissions, Safe Booted. The only thing left is a reinstall. At the moment I am using a USB mouse but it's most annoying. I also find that tethering via bluetooth is also a problem now.

AppleCare are replacing the mouse as they think that the problem - but I'm not convinced.

Also deleted some .plists etc as per other suggestions to no avail.
daveg999 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:40 AM   #12
SgtPepper23
macrumors newbie

try using MagicPrefs, a great little plug-in that really adds to the Magic Mouse.
SgtPepper23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:42 PM   #13
Bonsai1214
macrumors 6502a

i had the back/forward crash problem, but it turns out that that one finger back/forward was disabled (by default?) in the pref.pane. since i've turned it on, i haven't had that problem.
Bonsai1214 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2013, 05:52 PM   #14
Irishman
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I've been experiencing the same problems and it seems that the bluetooth has been dropping intermittently. This happens with a magic mouse and other devices I have connected via bluetooth, such as a headset.

It happened top my update, too. I played around with the settings and got it back.

Works great now. Faster than ever!
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:33 AM   #15
striven
macrumors newbie

Question Magic Mouse not scrolling in Mail

I'm having trouble with my magic mouse not scrolling in the Mail app in Mavericks. It just does not work!

Seems to work with other apps.

I'm up to date with my updates to Mavericks. I've also checked out the system preferences and all are ok.

I've seen other posts with this issue. Is it still prevalent, or is there some fix for it?

Thanks!
striven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 02:33 AM   #16
Partron22
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
it seems that the bluetooth has been dropping intermittently.
Where is the buetooth antenna on your Mac?
On my mini, it's on a plane along the bottom of the unit, just about desktop level. That left a reception hole just about where I like to keep my mouse; not a complete loss, just enough to make response jittery. Putting the Mac up on a 2 cm high pedestal got the mouse out of the antenna's dipole axis, and now reception, and mouse behavior, is fine.
Partron22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2014, 05:18 PM   #17
jonutarr
macrumors regular

Thumbs down

This is really lame Apple, gestures are even more dysfunctional with 10.9.2, I thought they would get better, never had these types of Apple software/hardware problems for the last 10yrs fix it apple! this is really poor form
Old Mar 6, 2014, 08:07 PM   #18
Dg8r
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnieoi View Post
Have found that the magic mouse response is at times very slow or even not responsive.
go to system preferences, click "mouse", on the "point & Click" page there is a slow/fast slider in the lower left portion of the page. Have you tried sliding that towards the fast side?
Dg8r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 11:29 AM   #19
typicaluser
macrumors newbie

Scrolling with one finger stops working more often than not with my magic mouse which is paired with my late 2013 MBPr on Mavericks.

It would work for a while after I turned the mouse off and on again.
typicaluser is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)