Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
Is anyone else having major issues with the magic mouse on Mavericks? Often the mouse doesn't move properly, it stops allowing me to use the one-finger scroll and in Safari, the browser crashes if I try use the scroll back / forth finger swipe.

:( + :mad:

minnieoi

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2013
Magic mouse problems with mavericks

Loaded Mavericks yesterday, together with all the other updates also available.
Have found that the magic mouse response is at times very slow or even not responsive.
Also found that previously in iphoto I was able to move to next image by swiping the mouse sideways buit now this doesn't happen- have to reduce and click next image. Not sure whether this is a result of mavericks or the iphoto update. Anybody else with this issue?

SoloStyle

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
I've been experiencing the same problems and it seems that the bluetooth has been dropping intermittently. This happens with a magic mouse and other devices I have connected via bluetooth, such as a headset.

After the upgrade, the swipe back and forth finger swipe has been reset (turned off). You will need to go into System Preferences > Magic Mouse and Check it to turn it back on.

minnieoi

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2013
Magic mouse problems with maverick.

Thanks for that, now works as it should.
Now why didn't I think of that. doh !!

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
After the upgrade, the swipe back and forth finger swipe has been reset (turned off). You will need to go into System Preferences > Magic Mouse and Check it to turn it back on.

I did that the day I downloaded the OS. Still experiencing problems.

iraklis9

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2013
As i have stated in another topic my magic mouse scrolls when it feels like it. Scrolling up and down is often unresponsive. I will try changing the mouse (late 2013 imac so under warranty) to see if it's the mouse's fault or mavericks' and report back

dr2391

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
+1 for the back/forth gesture in safari and Xcode. Extremely annoying that I have to restart both when it happens... and it happens a lot. The extra monitor support is why I'm putting up with it.

Glenny2lappies

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2006
Brighton, UK
Many problems...

I've just bought a new Magic Mouse as I thought that my old one had problems with the click. Now the new one is playing around.

Specifics: I spend a lot of my time developing ASP.NET code using Visual Studio in VMWare 5. This has been fine and I've never noticed a problem with the mouse.

Upgrade to Mavericks and I now notice that the mouse does strangely intermittent selection behaviour; 9 times out of 10 it's fine, but then it'll do odd things such as selecting a whole paragraph, or selecting then de-selecting text. It's like the mouse switch is playing around.

Now I've bought a new mouse (at $90), it too seems to be playing up.

I've not noticed any mouse pointer issues. Firefox did stop scrolling whereas all other applications worked. This happened twice last week and hasn't happened since (I did a full reboot).

Has anyone else noticed this errant selection behaviour?

eecyclone

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
I haven't noticed any problems with my magic mouse. Moving, clicking, selecting, and gestures all seem to work as intended.

daveg999

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2013
My magic mouse worked fine for about a week after upgrading to Mavericks. Now it stops, stutters and slows down. I have to turn of bluetooth and then turn it on again to get a few more minutes use before it repeats the problem. I have reset PRAM / SMC, un-paired / repaired. Fixed permissions, Safe Booted. The only thing left is a reinstall. At the moment I am using a USB mouse but it's most annoying. I also find that tethering via bluetooth is also a problem now.

AppleCare are replacing the mouse as they think that the problem - but I'm not convinced.

Also deleted some .plists etc as per other suggestions to no avail.

Bonsai1214

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2008
Penfield, NY
i had the back/forward crash problem, but it turns out that that one finger back/forward was disabled (by default?) in the pref.pane. since i've turned it on, i haven't had that problem.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I've been experiencing the same problems and it seems that the bluetooth has been dropping intermittently. This happens with a magic mouse and other devices I have connected via bluetooth, such as a headset.

It happened top my update, too. I played around with the settings and got it back.

Works great now. Faster than ever!

striven

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2011
Magic Mouse not scrolling in Mail

I'm having trouble with my magic mouse not scrolling in the Mail app in Mavericks. It just does not work!

Seems to work with other apps.

I'm up to date with my updates to Mavericks. I've also checked out the system preferences and all are ok.

I've seen other posts with this issue. Is it still prevalent, or is there some fix for it?

Thanks!

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
it seems that the bluetooth has been dropping intermittently.
Where is the buetooth antenna on your Mac?
On my mini, it's on a plane along the bottom of the unit, just about desktop level. That left a reception hole just about where I like to keep my mouse; not a complete loss, just enough to make response jittery. Putting the Mac up on a 2 cm high pedestal got the mouse out of the antenna's dipole axis, and now reception, and mouse behavior, is fine.

jonutarr

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2006
OZ
This is really lame Apple, gestures are even more dysfunctional with 10.9.2, I thought they would get better, never had these types of Apple software/hardware problems for the last 10yrs fix it apple! this is really poor form

Dg8r

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2009
Have found that the magic mouse response is at times very slow or even not responsive.

go to system preferences, click "mouse", on the "point & Click" page there is a slow/fast slider in the lower left portion of the page. Have you tried sliding that towards the fast side?

typicaluser

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2013
Scrolling with one finger stops working more often than not with my magic mouse which is paired with my late 2013 MBPr on Mavericks.

It would work for a while after I turned the mouse off and on again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.